Jeanneau 36i - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 Old 01-31-2019 Thread Starter
Freedom Chip Counter

Re: Jeanneau 36i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
Speaking of the ad, the dodger isinglass panels look terribly fogged and the Raymarine instruments are outdated - so already at least $5k you can knock off the price. The teak cockpit insets also look awful for a 9 year old boat, but probably just need a good scrubbing. However, they'll probably only have about 5 years of life left once you get them down in the Florida sun.
Agreed! At 9 years old I'm thinking new canvas, rigging, sails, instruments, possible engine overhaul....and boy all that wood...we chartered a 2004 Jeanneau that had wood decks...not sure if they were original, but there were hundreds of screws protruding into the cockpit, lazarettes, cabinets, etc..all hidden - most leaking....eventually the owner removed them, patched all the holes and placed them back down properly. (i may have been tempted to leave them off...)

S/V..... Between sailboats for the moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 Old 01-31-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadoo View Post
Thank you for all of the great responses!

I've always liked the Tartans! (and C&C, Sparkman and Stephens and Bob Perry and...)

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...dard%20listing

If we could find an older boat that was well (really well) taken care of (or nicely restored) by the previous owners I think we'd be interested. It just seems like they are much more rare in this area than a newer vessel that was purchased either into charter or by people who trade in every 4 years. Many of these newer boats seem to be equally as neglected, but at least we'd hopefully only have to deal with 4-5 minor repairs at a time as apposed to a complete restoration. I'm still placing engine, transmission, exhaust lift, stuffing box and steering linkage access as top priorities. I've only been aboard 1 Tartan 37 (about a decade older than the one in the listing above) it had great engine / transmission access, but it needed a lot more (immediate) work than I had the time to devote to it. Aside from sails, sheets, winches, controls, windlass and ground tackle the other big ticket item is the swim platform. At 50 it is getting harder to climb a ladder into the boat and we'd also like to be able to take our black lab out for an afternoon sail from time to time. Easily (?) getting our SCUBA gear on and off the boat while at anchor is another argument for a decent platform. Although there are many nice after market platforms so that is not a deal breaker....just a consideration....
I hear you about the dog thing. If you can't pick the dog up with one hand it will be a struggle to board it from a dink. And that means a slip or a dockside tie to walk the pooch. We just got a new dog and weight was a prime consideration. Jack is 12# and has managed to get both down and up the companionway without breaking a bone. He also jump from the deck to the floating dock... right under the life lines.

Maybe try a prioritized (weighted) features wish list and have all the boats that appeal to you compete. Drop off the low scores. all designs represent compromise... and all boats represent a vision of how the designer sees the boat's use.... and add to that the need to fit into a line of existed products.
scubadoo likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Last edited by SanderO; 01-31-2019 at 02:00 PM.
post #13 of 30 Old 01-31-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadoo View Post
Thank you for all of the great responses!

I've always liked the Tartans! (and C&C, Sparkman and Stephens and Bob Perry and...)

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...dard%20listing

If we could find an older boat that was well (really well) taken care of (or nicely restored) by the previous owners I think we'd be interested. It just seems like they are much more rare in this area than a newer vessel that was purchased either into charter or by people who trade in every 4 years. Many of these newer boats seem to be equally as neglected, but at least we'd hopefully only have to deal with 4-5 minor repairs at a time as apposed to a complete restoration. I'm still placing engine, transmission, exhaust lift, stuffing box and steering linkage access as top priorities. I've only been aboard 1 Tartan 37 (about a decade older than the one in the listing above) it had great engine / transmission access, but it needed a lot more (immediate) work than I had the time to devote to it. Aside from sails, sheets, winches, controls, windlass and ground tackle the other big ticket item is the swim platform. At 50 it is getting harder to climb a ladder into the boat and we'd also like to be able to take our black lab out for an afternoon sail from time to time. Easily (?) getting our SCUBA gear on and off the boat while at anchor is another argument for a decent platform. Although there are many nice after market platforms so that is not a deal breaker....just a consideration....
I like the Tartan 372. If I was to move up from my current Cal 33-2, it would on the short list. However it does not have a swim platform. You'd have to move up to the newer 3700 or 3500 for that. I did look at a 3500 when I was looking about 9 years ago and liked it, but it was above my budget at that time. Worth looking at IMHO.

FWIW I'm 72 and don't mind going up and down the swim ladder.
scubadoo likes this.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2

post #14 of 30 Old 01-31-2019

Don't listen to these old fuddy duddies! I love the interiors of the new Jeanneaus. I've chartered a few and I think they're really well laid out.
scubadoo likes this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #15 of 30 Old 01-31-2019

Id prefer a blondish interior over the dark.
Gimme light
Dont need a fine cigar, lab at my heels, nor stage set for backroom deals...
scubadoo likes this.
post #16 of 30 Old 01-31-2019

Scubi does need to listen to others here to tell him what to like. I think it's fine to discuss attributes and features of boats and provide examples. I don't know many boats except to see them from not terribly close on the water and never see their interiors. My exposure is usually via the discussions on SN when someone references a boat and I look at the listing. I also have decades of experience on a 36 foot boat in all sorts of circumstances so I find this thread interesting because I get to see what other 36s are like and what people like about them.

Production boats are not a la carte... although owners usually do trick them out to suit their needs and their budget... but the hull and interior and rig, deck are set. There are trends in hull form, interior accommodation plans, rigs and so on. New may or may not be better and that depends on one's needs and taste.
scubadoo likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #17 of 30 Old 02-01-2019

There's a beautiful Jeanneau Sun Fast 35 in Newburyport, MA. It was well equipped and splendid condition. The 7' draft didn't match my needs.

Travelling far to buy a boat has great appeal if you if you structure it properly. My wife has proposed that we buy a boat in Maine and take three years to get it home; the first season we would cruise the coast of Maine and winter on Buzzards Bay, the second we would cruise Buzzards Bay and Narraganset Bay, and the third we would sail to the island and LIS on our way home to the Hudson.
SanderO and scubadoo like this.
post #18 of 30 Old 02-01-2019 Thread Starter
Freedom Chip Counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
Don't listen to these old fuddy duddies! I love the interiors of the new Jeanneaus. I've chartered a few and I think they're really well laid out.

Have you chartered the 36 or smaller Jeanneaus or Beneteaus? We chartered a 42' shoal draft in Biscayne Bay...at 35 knot winds and a 3-5 "chop" it actually did pretty good...made a ton of leeway though, but it was comfortable and handled well once we got her balanced. It had in mast mainsail furling...had about as much power as a wet napkin in lighter winds, but at 35 knot winds we only had 5' sail out and were easily doing 7 knots.

I'm curious if the smaller (wider, lighter) ones pound a bit more. not a huge consideration as we are not sailing for more than 12 hours at a time, but still something to consider.

S/V..... Between sailboats for the moment.
post #19 of 30 Old 02-01-2019

We Just bought a 2011 39i after boat shopping and researching for years. We love the modern interior, and the layout
Is very functional. Someone said the head is tiny? Wtf? A head with a vanity and separate shower stall is NOT tiny! And the "garage" storage area behind the shower is a huge selling point for us! You just dont get that kind of storage in old boats of that size.
That 36i looks to be in mint condition! The engine only has around 500hrs on it, and looks pristine, so the idea that it needs rebuilding is nonsense. The canvas looks pretty good to me. Fogged windows can be cleaned up or replaced, but overall it looks like plenty of life left. The Raymarine instrument package is excellent. It's not the latest, but you can still get accessories and parts for it. Definitely does not need replacement! More nonsense!

There are always going to be traditionalists who turn their noses up at anything modern, but the fact is, boats evolve. Hull designs evolve. Modern boats have far more space in them than equivilant length vintage boats because they are beamier, and carry their beam much further aft. That extra beam allows them to increase tankage, batteries, and storage. 34gal of diesel and 95gal of water is pretty good for a 36ft boat! That extra beam aft also gets you a much wider cockpit, big enough for a permanent cockpit table. The beamy transom is great! Perfect for swimming, boarding a dinghy, or stern trying to the dock. That's something you will not get on an old boat.Yet somehow Marc Lombard has managed to design a boat with all that space that is still a very good sailing boat. That's progress!
Certainly modern production boats have some compromises. The sole is a laminate, not real teak and holly, but on the up side, it is more durable than teak and holly. Some of the finishings aren't as fancy as higher end "boutique" builders, but that is why the boat is more affordable.

The only thing I dont like about that particular 36i is the shoal draft keel. That is a deal breaker for me, but then I am in a region where shallow water is rare. All in all, though, by getting such a new, apparently lightly used boat, you will be getting something that likely does not have as many of the old boat problems such as water leaks, sewage smell, electrical issues and engine troubles. That boat is still in its prime.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
BarryL and contrarian like this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #20 of 30 Old 02-01-2019

I was just looking at that ad more closely and I noticed that the pics show 2 different salon tables, one is the standard table, and the other is the optional drop leaf table. That has me wondering how many of the pics are brochure photos and how many are of the actual boat. I am suspicious when a broker uses stock or sister ship photos instead of the real thing. It would suck to fly all that way to look at a boat only to find it is not in the same condition as the photos show.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
SanderO likes this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in