Jeanneau 36i - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 Old 02-01-2019

Re: Jeanneau 36i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadoo View Post
Have you chartered the 36 or smaller Jeanneaus or Beneteaus? We chartered a 42' shoal draft in Biscayne Bay...at 35 knot winds and a 3-5 "chop" it actually did pretty good...made a ton of leeway though, but it was comfortable and handled well once we got her balanced. It had in mast mainsail furling...had about as much power as a wet napkin in lighter winds, but at 35 knot winds we only had 5' sail out and were easily doing 7 knots.

I'm curious if the smaller (wider, lighter) ones pound a bit more. not a huge consideration as we are not sailing for more than 12 hours at a time, but still something to consider.
Iíve chartered a Jeanneau 379. It had a conventional main, which I prefer. From my perspective as a relative newb I thought it sailed fine. It was easy to control and didnít seem to want to do anything dumb.

I like the light, clean interiors. I thought they made great use of the space.

Iíve hung out on a Jeanneau 349, although I didnít get a chance to sail on it. Again, I like the interior although this model had very, very limited stowage.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 Old 02-03-2019
Doesn't sail enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
We Just bought a 2011 39i after boat shopping and researching for years. We love the modern interior, and the layout
Is very functional. Someone said the head is tiny? Wtf? A head with a vanity and separate shower stall is NOT tiny! And the "garage" storage area behind the shower is a huge selling point for us!
There are two versions of both the 39i and 36i - the "owner's version" of both has one slightly wider aft stateroom, large lazerette space opposite, and a head with shower stall. The "charter version" has two parallel aft staterooms and a much smaller head, no shower.

I've only been on the charter version 39i, the head wasn't cramped but it wasn't spacious (maybe my standards aren't so high). And I'm really not sure how they fit all that same amount of boat into 36'....

'78 Dolphin 31
post #23 of 30 Old 02-03-2019

One thing you may like about the newer Jeanneau's, ASSUMING you get a 2 cabin version. The head, sink and shower are not a one in all. You can use the shower as a wet locker, still get into and use the head etc.
I'm personally not a fan of the newer 9 Series Jeanneaus, but the i series are nice imho. The SF35 in the same area, fast sailing wise, BUT, the head is in the shower area! An issue IMHO if you are going to go with a newer boat.
If you can find P models of the i series, they are quick fast sailing boats. THe 39iP has a phrf of around 90. Probably the best 35-40' Jeanneau from a performance stand point, The SF 35 is not too far behind. The newer 409's are on the slower end of these three!
I would suggest you find go to Home | Jeanneau Owners Forum and take a peak to see what issues folks are having with the i series models of that time frame. Being as that is an owners forum, you will find ALL the good bad and fugly about a given brand boat.

Marty

On Edit,

The fold down interior table are the REAL boat pics. The solid table is a brochure pic. As are a couple of the sailing pics. The real ones are clearer than the brochure ones.

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!

Last edited by blt2ski; 02-03-2019 at 02:19 PM.

post #24 of 30 Old 02-03-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedboy View Post
There are two versions of both the 39i and 36i - the "owner's version" of both has one slightly wider aft stateroom, large lazerette space opposite, and a head with shower stall. The "charter version" has two parallel aft staterooms and a much smaller head, no shower.

I've only been on the charter version 39i, the head wasn't cramped but it wasn't spacious (maybe my standards aren't so high). And I'm really not sure how they fit all that same amount of boat into 36'....
I have not been on a 36i since getting our 39i, but looking at the pics it is very similar to ours. I think the extra few feet is lost in the forward stateroom and cockpit. Imho the 2 cabin owners version is far superior. Even a modern 36 footer, (or 39 for that matter) is too small for 3 couples, but perfect for 2 couples or a family.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
SanderO likes this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #25 of 30 Old 02-04-2019

I looked at the Florida 36i add(s). Both of the adds I saw in Florida, are older boats our of the sunsail program. As they have red hull striping vs the std blue or tan if sold out of the charter fleet.
Only real issue in my mind regarding the boats on the east coast, I'd give them all a $50K discount due to the shoal keel most have. Would have a hard time going to a 4' 10" draft, when I currently have 5'7" with my 30' Jeanneau! If they had the P version with 7' keel like a friend of mine has, I'd pay a bit more.

Marty

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!
post #26 of 30 Old 02-04-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
I looked at the Florida 36i add(s). Both of the adds I saw in Florida, are older boats our of the sunsail program. As they have red hull striping vs the std blue or tan if sold out of the charter fleet.

Only real issue in my mind regarding the boats on the east coast, I'd give them all a $50K discount due to the shoal keel most have. Would have a hard time going to a 4' 10" draft, when I currently have 5'7" with my 30' Jeanneau! If they had the P version with 7' keel like a friend of mine has, I'd pay a bit more.

Marty
Yeah Sunsail seems to have quite a few of the 36i and 39i. They are very cheap, usually the 3 Cabin models, and look well used. Unfortunately their distinctive stripes brand them as ex charters.

There are a couple of 39i that have been languishing on the market for almost 2 years, even with their low prices.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #27 of 30 Old 02-04-2019 Thread Starter
Freedom Chip Counter

Thanks for the scoop on owner vs charter versions of the 36i and 39i! I'd love the deeper keel as I imagine the shoal keel is a bit of a compromise.

I'd be curious to hear an estimate on how much more leeway we'd make over the course of 50NM trip with the shorter keel. The shorter keel does provide a bit of a comfort level when cruising the Northern Bahamas, Biscayne Bay and the Keys.

I'm going to try to charter the 36i out of Ft Lauderdale next month. Will be nice to see how easily it balances and how it feels in our choppy winter seas.

S/V..... Between sailboats for the moment.
post #28 of 30 Old 02-04-2019

I am not sure the big issue is leeway as much as not being able to sail upwind very well. That is not important to some people, but to me, if your destination is upwind, or you are trying to claw your way off a Lee shore, pointing is everything. The shoal draft boat is also quite a bit heavier since they need to put a lot more weight in the keel to achieve the same righting moment.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #29 of 30 Old 02-04-2019

For Florida and the Bahama's as well as parts of the ICW the shoal draft is a plus. A northern boat that was an owner boat and not in charter is also a plus since it was most likely hauled and stored for 5-6 months out of the year. A Great Lakes boat would be top choice. Far as the wide angle shot of a saloon to illustrate how roomy it is .... that can be quite deceiving and that's all I'll say about that. After having a boat with a walk through transom, I can't fathom having one without it for the way that I use the boat. If I had your budget I would move up to newer and wouldn't bother to look back. As to the delivery....1500 miles is a L O N G way but there are people who are doing it twice a year on a regular basis. Just check out the ICW in late Oct. and early Nov. for all the panty waists fleeing that God Forsaken part of the country north of the Florida State line. Of Course around May my perspective regarding the area North of the Florida line changes dramatically. I'm thinking Nova Scotia might be nice in August. In any event I certainly wouldn't throw rocks at the Jeanneau, looks like a nice boat.
post #30 of 30 Old 02-04-2019

Leeway/point ability......hard to say if a deeper draft per say is really better. Both have plus and minus's! With that, if you sail in area;s like the salish sea the shock and I are in. "IF" your depth sounder is reading a depth, you are in shoal water! Yes there are some places that it would be nice to be shoaler in the keel than I am.....but reality is, wait and hour or two or more, depending upon the tide change that day, where it is in the cycle, with a min tide of maybe 3' one way or the other, upwards of 14' with the local KING tides. A keel that is 2' of difference, really does not hurt you here. With the lower 3-5' typical tide I've read about in FL. I'm going to have a hard time seeing 2' being an issue. Granted in some places yes, just as here......at the end of the day, you have to choose a different achorage, or dock to stay or moor at!
I would swag, one could see an additional 10-20% more distance depending upon a lot of factors additional distance for a shoal vs a deep keel boat. BUT, with that said. Bob Perry mentioned once, his shoal draft Islander 30, maybe 36, the shoal did just as well sailing in all accounts as the deep. Generally speaking, a deep will out perform a shoal, especially upwind. Down and on a reach.....could very well be more of a draw, but will still take a deep over a shoal draft version of a boat. If you want both, then look for a CB version. Not recalling the 36i having one. The 33i, SO, 32, 35 and 349 have them.

Marty

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in