4Likes
  • 1 Post By sailors
  • 1 Post By JimsCAL
  • 1 Post By chef2sail
  • 1 Post By mfourn20

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-04-2019 Thread Starter

C&C 29 MK2 vs C&C 30 MK2

Any info on whether the 30 is worth the extra $$$? I sailed the 29 quite a bit years ago and loved her. Will I love the 30 ~ 10K more? I read that the 30 is better in lighter air and roomier below. My understanding at this time is that the 30 is more cruiser on the racer/cruiser spectrum and the 29 is more racer. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-05-2019

Re: C&C 29 MK2 vs C&C 30 MK2

Having been on both models, not sailing however, I can say the 30MK2 is a much bigger boat inside and a nice layout for 30 feet. I've raced against both long ago and both perform well. If you plan on doing any cruising, I think you would be much more comfortable on the 30, if racing is your main objective, save the $10K.
Jechod likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-05-2019

Two pretty different boats. The 29-2 is classic C&C while the 30-2 is a more modern boat. The 30-2 is beamier (and thus more room below) and faster by about 15 seconds in PHRF. IMHO the 30-2 is well worth the price difference.
Jechod likes this.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2

post #4 of 9 Old 03-05-2019 Thread Starter

Thank You!
post #5 of 9 Old 6 Days Ago

I've read the C&C 30-2 is a little tender and should be reefer early. I'm just starting me research though. Moving up into the 30' range and looking for a boat with a good combination of favorable sailing characteristics and performance with decent livability for weekending with a young family.
post #6 of 9 Old 6 Days Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

All see and C&C general are accused of being tender boats.
It does not require any earlier reefing than say a Catalina, Hunter

Every boat has different quirks, just because you reef to keep it on its feet doesnít mean itís not as quick, etc. In fact you have to figure that out for your boat. For example many 35 ft boats start reefing 15-18 knots steady. Haleakula a ďtenderĒ 35 MKIII k/c C&C we just drop our centerboard and can wait till 20/21 knots befo wwe reef. Thatís with a 135 jib. A 155 jib we reef a little earlier,.

One thing youíll notice also about C&C in general is their tight steering and responsiveness. Sailing one is like rack and pinion in a sports car. Itís not sluggish at all. I personally like that feel. It really makes you feel in control. C&C also generally sail very close to the wind compared to many boats due to their design, rudder shape, and inboard jib tracks. Often we can point higher than most comparable boats. Youíll never finish last in a race and depending on your sailing abilities/ crew you usually be in the top of the group.

They are also comfortable for cruising, where many racers are spartan below, and the settees, v are like camping as opposed from comfort.
SailingUphill likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
post #7 of 9 Old 6 Days Ago

That’s extremely helpful information. I prefer a boat that is sporty vs relaxed. I don’t view boats being perceived as tender to be a bad thing. I race PHRF weekly (we won the summer series non spin) and really value a good performing boat even if I don’t intend to race my personal boat. The PHRF rating for the C&C 30-2 is pretty telling of its performance capabilities. I currently own a Catalina 22. I wanted a sportier boat but it was cheap and I didn’t know if my family would like sailing. My wife used to be terrified now she races with us and enjoys racing more than cruising. Had I known my family would love sailing I would have gone this route first but I wanted to test the waters with a cheap boat
Ravven25 likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 4 Days Ago Thread Starter

FYI and FWIW, I bought the C&C 30MKII in great condition. having sailed her since May'19 AND having previously sailed the 29 extensively, I would've been extremely happy with either.
post #9 of 9 Old 14 Minutes Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfourn20 View Post
Thatís extremely helpful information. I prefer a boat that is sporty vs relaxed. I donít view boats being perceived as tender to be a bad thing. I race PHRF weekly (we won the summer series non spin) and really value a good performing boat even if I donít intend to race my personal boat. The PHRF rating for the C&C 30-2 is pretty telling of its performance capabilities. I currently own a Catalina 22. I wanted a sportier boat but it was cheap and I didnít know if my family would like sailing. My wife used to be terrified now she races with us and enjoys racing more than cruising. Had I known my family would love sailing I would have gone this route first but I wanted to test the waters with a cheap boat
Given your situation, the 30 sounds like the better choice for your family to enjoy sailing.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in