Canadian Sailcraft 1990 - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 03-09-2019 Thread Starter

Canadian Sailcraft 1990

I did the drive. Seven hours there and five back. We stayed overnight Friday night.

There is absolutely no substitute for seeing the boat in person.
My notes and pictures are in the dropbox link below.

My reference boat the one I taught on for three years is a 35' 1985 O'day that sold for 27,000.
This boat is 38,000.

It always comes down to what would someone (me) be willing to pay.

And that is based on two things. How much I have to spend and how much work I want.

I'm thinking I would be tempted at 30k maybe a little more.

It has a lot going for it the O'day didn't have. That being said it needs a lot of work.
I'm just not sure I'm up for that much work.

Do you see anything in the pictures or listing that I didn't cover in my notes?

Thanks all.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e0j67fftx...8FQbmH_ha?dl=0

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-09-2019
Dirt Free

Re: Canadian Sailcraft 1990

Photos are always tough to judge on but I think you are right .....$30k is probably what it's worth. (rigging/chainplate/sails)

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-09-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Photos are always tough to judge on but I think you are right .....$30k is probably what it's worth. (rigging/chainplate/sails)
Would you mark it really hard based on:

Small engine
Original engine
Hood rolling boom

Is the ticktack stuff any good? All wireless yes.

The keel being pretty long and lead probably means it is less likely to twist and damage the boat in a grounding but I suspect is doesn't backup as well as a fin keel boat.

post #4 of 14 Old 03-10-2019
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Would you mark it really hard based on:

Small engine
Original engine
Hood rolling boom

Is the ticktack stuff any good? All wireless yes.

The keel being pretty long and lead probably means it is less likely to twist and damage the boat in a grounding but I suspect is doesn't backup as well as a fin keel boat.
Low marks due to concerns for the rigging, chainplate and sails. The rolling boom is a bit of an oddity on this model. The Tacktick stuff is normally found on boats that were heavily raced and I'm always a little more skeptical of those boats.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
The Following User Says Thank You to boatpoker For This Useful Post:
davidpm (03-10-2019)
post #5 of 14 Old 03-12-2019

Dave

Not a bad looking boat. I agree that the standing rigging and the chain plates look to be a concern. I would probably assume by the tape on the cabin top hatch that there is some leaking going on. Is that an opening hatch when the companion way slide is closed? Could be just replacing new seals. The TickTak could be that someone just didn't want the hassle of running wires/ cables. The engine/prop if sized for the boat might be fine, from your pictures it looked very clean and well maintained. How many hrs on it? The bottom looks like it might be a hard paint, you might need to sand all the way down or have it stripped and barrier coated.

Peter
post #6 of 14 Old 03-12-2019

At the price point you are looking at you need to accept that pretty much every boat is going to need work. The important thing is that the boat has good bones. Things like an original engine shouldn't necessarily deter you, if it has been well maintained it should have plenty of life left. Definitely have a mechanic check it out. Standing rigging is also important, however shouldn't be a deal breaker but a negotiating point. Instruments do not affect the value of the boat. They are easily replaced. If they work they work. At least they were upgraded to TackTick at some point.
All these details only really come into play when you are looking at two similar boats. Obviously if one has been repowered and the other hasn't, the one with the new engine should be worth more, all else being equal.
Someone made a comment that they are suspicious of boats that have been raced. While it is true that a boat that has been raced hard and put away wet might be in rough condition, it is equally true that a boat that has been raced may be better equipped and maintained than a boat that was just cruised. Race boats get pushed much harder than cruisers, and yes, things break. But when they do, they get replaced, and likely upgraded. Deck hardware tends to be better, running rigging is usually higher quality, and the sails are likely better too. Most importantly a boat that has been raced is probably set up to function smoothly and efficiently. If you can overlook the additional cosmetic wear and tear like dings and abrasions in the gelcoat you may actually get a nicer sailing boat.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
olson34 and davidpm like this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #7 of 14 Old 03-12-2019

2gmf20 is adequate for this boat albeit a little small. Yanmars are bullet proof if maintained. CS has a good reputation for build quality. I'd be concerned about the chainplate leak. Fixable but $$money if you have to replace bulkhead. Bottom job- diy but a big pain to do. A lot depends on what is on the bottom now and how hard it is to get off. You can have the hatch fixed at Select Plastics in Norwalk. Guess is $450. Running rigging. 3 mid tech VPC halyards are about $500 total. Standing rigging- it depends on how much to be replaced. I'm guessing 5/16" shrouds. Could add up to several thousand dollars. I'm not a big fan of Sto Booms. Thousands to replace with conventional boom and new main. Instruments. Tack tic are ok. Not sure they are networkable with a NMEA2K network for things like a chart plotter and radar.

After a complete survey you should add up the anticipated costs to bring the boat up to a reasonable standard. 30K sounds about right in current condition.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-12-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justified View Post
Dave

Not a bad looking boat. I agree that the standing rigging and the chain plates look to be a concern. I would probably assume by the tape on the cabin top hatch that there is some leaking going on. Is that an opening hatch when the companion way slide is closed? Could be just replacing new seals. The TickTak could be that someone just didn't want the hassle of running wires/ cables. The engine/prop if sized for the boat might be fine, from your pictures it looked very clean and well maintained. How many hrs on it? The bottom looks like it might be a hard paint, you might need to sand all the way down or have it stripped and barrier coated.

Peter
You are right on all counts.

It was a hard paint but the doc has been using ablative the last few years.
The hatch does not open even though it has hinges, it is siliconed down and the tape replaced every year. He said it doesn't leak.

Someone told me they have seen on some boats a two-inch deep locker under a panel like that for sail ties and lines but I don't know if this is the case for this boat.

Apparently, some folks think standing rigging is a 30+ year component. He never had it inspected in the five years he owned it.

post #9 of 14 Old 03-13-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
At the price point you are looking at you need to accept that pretty much every boat is going to need work.

I'm starting to accept that.

I may have to push it up to 40 -50.

It doesn't make sense to pay 30k

Then pay 6k for the boom, 2 k for the bottom, 2+K to move it home, 3k headsail plus the normal stuff.

Probably should just spend 40+ and buy it cleaner and closer to home and not have to work so hard.

post #10 of 14 Old 03-13-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
I'm starting to accept that.

I may have to push it up to 40 -50.

It doesn't make sense to pay 30k

Then pay 6k for the boom, 2 k for the bottom, 2+K to move it home, 3k headsail plus the normal stuff.

Probably should just spend 40+ and buy it cleaner and closer to home and not have to work so hard.
Well, increasing your budget by 10 or 20k is not going to change the fact that you are going to have work to do, although increasing your budget for the same age boat might get you one that was better maintained or has a few more upgrades.

The reality is that the purchase price of a boat is just the price of admission. Once you buy the boat you are committing to a certain amount of ongoing maintenance and repairs. The only way to (mostly) avoid that is to buy new.

I just spent $200k on an 8 year old boat, and I am already finding a few little projects!

davidpm likes this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in