Finally saw the 35 Ericson - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-16-2019 Thread Starter

Finally saw the 35 Ericson

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7n5mb7rtw...BhXeGcIAa?dl=0

It is amazing how quickly a good old boat can deteriorate to the point where it is worth only a fraction of its prior value.

The broker said that this boat will probably sell in the 20's

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-16-2019
Learning the HARD way...

Re: Finally saw the 35 Ericson

With a soft deck, probably the low-20's. It looks like this boat has sat for the better part of a year.

That rebuilt Oberdorfer water pump probably bathed the engine and the fuel pump in seawater. This would account for all the rust. I posted in another thread that if an Oberdorfer pump starts to leak, that from both time and functionality perspectives, you are better off replacing, not rebuilding, the pump.

You didn't take pictures of the electronics, but if they are over 5 years, they are most likely obsolete. IIRC from your other thread, these electronics are 12 years old.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-16-2019

What makes for obsolete electronics?

I have

3 plotters... vintage, 2000 nmea 0183, 2008 nmea 0183, w/ radar and 2016 nmea 0183, Y2K.. all work fine show position etc. assorted cockpit repeaters

wind, speed depth... B&G vintage 1985 (OEM) all work fine. The wind instrument has been atop the mast continuously since 1985 thru half a dozen hurricanes (no interconnectivity) speedo reads to .01 knots precision

VHF - 2017 vintage w/ AIS, DSC (2nd update)

Which ones should I toss and replace?

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

post #4 of 12 Old 03-16-2019
Learning the HARD way...

If your electronic instruments work for you and make you happy, keep them. However, you may remember this thread is about a boat that @davidpm is considering buying.

Obsolete to many people means not supported. I have seen many ads in YachtWorld touting the Loran receiver that is installed...

As I said this thread was @davidpm , not about you, but if I must; I hate to be the one to break it to you but your 1985 vintage electronics add ZERO to the value of your boat. If you were selling to me, and I recognize that you are not, anything over 5 years old would deduct from the value of the boat (not N2K, not update-able, not supported). If I were to be buying a boat so equipped I would have to plan to remove and replace them. You could add ~20% of the cost of your 2017 VHF to the value of your boat.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #5 of 12 Old 03-16-2019

Soft decks will eat multiple boat units to repair. Repairing soft decks is not that hard but very costly to pay someone else to do the work. It is very well equipped just old stuff with a finite life span. Fine if it works but worthless to try and repair.

What is the age and hours on the engine? 10 big boat units plus if it goes south. Sails are ancient but condition really depends on how heavily used. Would say its value would be in the mid 20's if it didn't have the soft foredeck.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-16-2019

What is your take?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
What makes for obsolete electronics?
Ignoring the relative importance to negotiation when buying/selling a boat, what makes electronics obsolete is when they eventually start to go bad. This never happens all at once, and when one goes bad that can no longer communicate with new electronics, then a cascade starts. Either you install kludge converters and work-arounds, hoping that none of the others will go bad, or you isolate that system and run separate communication buses, or you rip it all out and put in all new.

Many things can operate just fine in isolation, if that is how one wishes, but some things like GPS and compass generally need to be integrated into one or more other things.

Don't toss anything if they are working for you, but you have to be aware that at some time in the future, you may have some choices to make.

As far as selling or buying a boat, electronics don't add any value. They also don't detract value, unless they are actually not working. Perhaps a full suite of current electronics can make one boat more valuable than another boat at the same price but without current electronics.

I disagree about the value of manufacturer support. This hardly occurs with brand new electronics, any gear older than a year is out of warranty anyway, and most of today's electronics don't need support - they are throw away and replace with new if something goes wrong.

Mark
SanderO likes this.

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

post #8 of 12 Old 03-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Ignoring the relative importance to negotiation when buying/selling a boat, what makes electronics obsolete is when they eventually start to go bad. This never happens all at once, and when one goes bad that can no longer communicate with new electronics, then a cascade starts. Either you install kludge converters and work-arounds, hoping that none of the others will go bad, or you isolate that system and run separate communication buses, or you rip it all out and put in all new.

Many things can operate just fine in isolation, if that is how one wishes, but some things like GPS and compass generally need to be integrated into one or more other things.

Don't toss anything if they are working for you, but you have to be aware that at some time in the future, you may have some choices to make.

As far as selling or buying a boat, electronics don't add any value. They also don't detract value, unless they are actually not working. Perhaps a full suite of current electronics can make one boat more valuable than another boat at the same price but without current electronics.

I disagree about the value of manufacturer support. This hardly occurs with brand new electronics, any gear older than a year is out of warranty anyway, and most of today's electronics don't need support - they are throw away and replace with new if something goes wrong.

Mark
I expect that at some date in the future I will have to do a lot of replacing and go with a networked system... part of mine is networked NMEA 0183. Outdated for sure. My cruising is largely local to southern NE /. LIS so there is no real urgency.
My compass is 183, AP does not integrate and I prefer this. So far hey are working I have all the data to inform my sailing/navigation decisions. When that changes... I will upgrade. I am not looking to sell and buy a new boat and don't have the energy to undertake all the upgrades which are inevitable.

I am debating whether to get an AIS B considering I am not doing any offshore work. I may just get one anyway... perhaps the Vesper watchmate vision2.

post #9 of 12 Old 03-16-2019

Actually, AIS is more useful coastal than offshore. Coastal is where barges are coming around blind river bends, commercial ships are suddenly making large turns, one encounters crossing situations with multiple ships, there is less freedom of movement for all involved, etc.

Offshore, AIS is nice, particularly at 3am on a dark night, but its advantage is usually only in giving one a larger margin of time with better data to avoid a single ship in open water.

We have a Vesper XB8000 black box unit with no display. It is connected to our plotter, which displays all the targets there, but also has a wifi server that puts all of the data on a tablet/phone. Vesper has a good app for using these data that shows crossing situations in great perspective. We usually see the targets on the plotter, and if there is going to be a crossing situation, we pick up our tablet or phone to negotiate it using Vesper's app.

The Vesper units all output 0183, so you will be able to connect them to your plotter. The display on the Vision model essentially runs the app software, but at greater cost than the black box and app. It is good if you don't like using phones/tablets for this stuff, and can mount it where it is useful to you for navigation.

I must say that the Vesper AIS was one of the best things we have added to our boat. Behind the lithium batteries, but competing closely with our high-output watermaker.

Mark
SanderO and MastUndSchotbruch like this.

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

post #10 of 12 Old 03-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Actually, AIS is more useful coastal than offshore. Coastal is where barges are coming around blind river bends, commercial ships are suddenly making large turns, one encounters crossing situations with multiple ships, there is less freedom of movement for all involved, etc.

Offshore, AIS is nice, particularly at 3am on a dark night, but its advantage is usually only in giving one a larger margin of time with better data to avoid a single ship in open water.

We have a Vesper XB8000 black box unit with no display. It is connected to our plotter, which displays all the targets there, but also has a wifi server that puts all of the data on a tablet/phone. Vesper has a good app for using these data that shows crossing situations in great perspective. We usually see the targets on the plotter, and if there is going to be a crossing situation, we pick up our tablet or phone to negotiate it using Vesper's app.

The Vesper units all output 0183, so you will be able to connect them to your plotter. The display on the Vision model essentially runs the app software, but at greater cost than the black box and app. It is good if you don't like using phones/tablets for this stuff, and can mount it where it is useful to you for navigation.

I must say that the Vesper AIS was one of the best things we have added to our boat. Behind the lithium batteries, but competing closely with our high-output watermaker.

Mark
I don't like to depend on one screen for important data and the vision mate networks and is stand alone.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in