Aging on the yard - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 Old 03-21-2019 Thread Starter

Re: Aging on the yard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
The reason a 3 year led boat is listed for the same price as a new is that is has been fit out
Not so. Spec'd the same a 2019. The dealer knows the boat has depreciated, but wants prospective buyers to see it as new. Therefore, a "new 2016/2017/2018". If the buyer takes the deal, they lose more than usual value in the act of driving it off the lot. What I am trying to figure out is what percentage, so as to know how to approach the dealer. 5%? 10%?

I know there is no right answer, but I was trying to solicit some opinions from the group.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 Old 03-21-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadoo View Post
Extend your search South? It's the end of the season here...snowbirds are on their way back north in another month. Many more sailboats are starting to come up for sale. 3 of the 4 that I looked, the owner is headed North and they'd like to sell their boat here and now.
To be sure, I'd have more options in Florida. The difficulty is that it would be either a plane ticket, rental car and hotel or a 24+ hour drive plus hotel just to go looking, with no guarantee that I would make a deal or how long it would take to do so.

I'm looking for a $15000 or less boat. It is not feasible to tack on thousands of dollars to the price on the front end. Incidentally, how many times have you trailered cross country and had it go swimmingly?
post #13 of 25 Old 03-21-2019

I missed the original premise that a dealer lot has all new inventory from different model years. Clearly, the moment you sail off the dock with a '16 model year, it will depreciate immediately more than a '19 model. By how much is hard to say. New boats depreciate fast. You can get much of that value back in the warranty work for the first couple of years.

For what it's worth, I think inventory that old is a real problem for a dealer. First, they've paid the cost of carry for years and are going to lose money, almost assuredly. Second, it makes the sale of the newer hulls harder, since it looks like no one wants them. I would suspect the dealer would be willing to deal to get rid of the '16. Start low. Dealers know it's just business.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #14 of 25 Old 03-21-2019
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmaddy View Post
What I am trying to figure out is what percentage, so as to know how to approach the dealer. 5%? 10%?

I know there is no right answer, but I was trying to solicit some opinions from the group.
you offer the amount that the boat is worth to you, only a buyer decides what that is

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 25 Old 03-21-2019

I assume we are talking a "new" boat that's been sitting outside in the yard, in the great white north, uncovered for years.

I know I maybe an outlier, but I don't like it. If the dealer treats the new inventory this way, I'm not sure I'd want to do business with them. Inevitably, with a new or used boat, when you finally commission it, even if it's fresh from the factory floor, there will be stuff wrong with it. In the case of new, I'd expect the dealer to fix that stuff at their cost. If it's been sitting, there is more wrong than if it has not IMHO. Everything deteriorates with time and lack of attention, even if it's sitting on hard.

IMHO, vet the dealer. Find out how past buyers have done with this dealer before moving forward. If the story's aren't good ones, run away. If the dealer has a great rep, go pick one and buy it.
post #16 of 25 Old 03-21-2019

Auto inventory sits outside, year round. While not usually in the auto dealer lot as long, they sit in vast lots around the country, awaiting a dealer floor plan to occupy. Not sure boats are all that different.

Dealer rep is huge, no matter the age of the vessel. Most of the commissioned systems will be dealer warrantied, not OEM.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #17 of 25 Old 03-21-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmaddy View Post
To be sure, I'd have more options in Florida. The difficulty is that it would be either a plane ticket, rental car and hotel or a 24+ hour drive plus hotel just to go looking, with no guarantee that I would make a deal or how long it would take to do so.
I'm looking for a $15000 or less boat. It is not feasible to tack on thousands of dollars to the price on the front end. Incidentally, how many times have you trailered cross country and had it go swimmingly?
You never know. When I first saw the ad for my boat it was in February of the year. It was located all the way across the country in Washington State. I thought about it and like you gave up on it because it required flight across the country just to look at it. Then if I liked it I would have to have it shipped across the country to my water's here on Long Island.

The summer came and went and I looked at a few local boats but nothing got me serious about about buying. Then in the fall I thought about the boat that was in Washington state and call the owner up to find out if it was still for sale. He said it had been sold but that perhaps I should call the new owner up since he may be interested in selling it. In fact he was.

It seems after the new owner got the boat he discovered both his wife and child I got seasick. That's why he was selling the boat. Even better the boat was located only about 20 miles away in Connecticut just across Long Island Sound. All I had to do was get a survey, write a check and sail it to Long Island. No transcontinental flight and no cross country shipping and at the price I was willing to pay. So the boat came to me. Poseidon works in mysterious ways.
ottos likes this.

Mike
Currently: Spring Outfitting

post #18 of 25 Old 03-21-2019

mbianka
That all worked out great and I'm happy for you; but I'm sure you will admit it is an exceptional circumstance. If the second owner was in the west, do you think you would have gone after the boat? Just curious.
Rmaddy likes this.
post #19 of 25 Old 03-21-2019

Are you set on buying a new boat for $15k? What have you been looking at?

Jeanneau 54DS

post #20 of 25 Old 03-21-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Ask the dealer to show you the book value of the older hull versus the new one. Of course that assumes use of wear, so it is a bit unreal for new versus new. But most dealers will have their inventory on "floor plan". They're paying interest on the inventory from the day it arrives (unless the maker has a special program, etc.) so the old boat MAY actually be costing them more than the new boat, giving them more and less reason to discount it and get rid of it. Dealers have to decide on some creative math about inventory "real" prices versus all-in prices and live with the averages.
Still, if anything has changed ("improved") in the new models, or the paint faded on the old ones...you can always ask, the worst they will do is laugh at you. And a half-smart salesman always knows, if you're asking for the impossible, you won't find it anywhere. So he's got good reason to just say "That's impossible, but we'd love to work with you once you find that out."

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in