Narrowing the field...some help? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 Old 03-26-2019 Thread Starter

Re: Narrowing the field...some help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Sounds like you are on the right track to me. Easy to launch, easy to rig, a cabin to sit out a rain storm in.

Sounds like you just need to wait for the right boat to come on the market.

There are a lot of nice trailer sailers that size. Siren 17s, Sandpipers and Nordica 16s are all nice Canadian boats which can often be found in the northern states.
I think you are right. I think most folks who have waited through the winter to sell a boat are probably patient enough to present it cleanly to optimize selling price. The snow isnít even gone, and itís still muddy as a stable.

The P18 I looked at yesterday was tempting other than the inability of the seller to even vouch for the centerboard, and if I believed it was the best chance Iím going to get all season, I might have made an offer. I donít believe that. Regarding Sandpipers, Iíve never seen the Canadian version, although the Marshall catboat of the same name would be ideal.

Do you happen to know what the customs rate is on bringing a boat across from Canada to the US? I know Canada charges a 10% tariff on new boats heading in the other direction.

It seems to me that there is an exponential increase in difficulty of solo mast stepping as one goes from 15 (painless), to 17 (ok), to 19 (challenging) to 21 (forbidding). We only did it once a season, so we never really worked out a mechanically assisted method, but raising the mast on my fatherís Johnson C-scow was also a bit of a balancing act. Doing that every time out would not be conducive to sailing often.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 03-26-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmaddy View Post
I think you are right. I think most folks who have waited through the winter to sell a boat are probably patient enough to present it cleanly to optimize selling price. The snow isnít even gone, and itís still muddy as a stable.

The P18 I looked at yesterday was tempting other than the inability of the seller to even vouch for the centerboard, and if I believed it was the best chance Iím going to get all season, I might have made an offer. I donít believe that. Regarding Sandpipers, Iíve never seen the Canadian version, although the Marshall catboat of the same name would be ideal.

Do you happen to know what the customs rate is on bringing a boat across from Canada to the US? I know Canada charges a 10% tariff on new boats heading in the other direction.

It seems to me that there is an exponential increase in difficulty of solo mast stepping as one goes from 15 (painless), to 17 (ok), to 19 (challenging) to 21 (forbidding). We only did it once a season, so we never really worked out a mechanically assisted method, but raising the mast on my fatherís Johnson C-scow was also a bit of a balancing act. Doing that every time out would not be conducive to sailing often.
I am not sure what the customs rate is, but I do know the exchange rate is very favourable for you right now.

Btw, I trailer sail a 21 foot boat solo, launch every time I sail. It's great way to go, provided you chose a boat with a good mast raising system and variable draft. Mine has a mast tabernacle system, something fairly similar to Compacs system. The tabernacle system makes it very easy. My 21 foot boat mast with tabernacle is much easier to step than my 16 foot boat with mast hinge at the base.
post #13 of 23 Old 03-26-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb32863 View Post
I think you said you already had been out to Hooper's but, did you see the Sanibel 18 (maybe that is the one you looked at with the WWP) or the COM-PAC SUN CAT 17? Each seems to fit your requirements.

http://www.hoopersyachts.com/Index.c...sedboatid=2528

http://www.hoopersyachts.com/Index.c...sedboatid=4706
I like Hooperís a lot. Itís a good place to kick a lot of tires in the same afternoon. I have been out a few times and looked at everything that interests me, but Iíll definitely be open to looking again as the inventory rolls over if I havenít found a match by then.

The Sanibel was in good shape. The not-quite-so-center board design sounds quirky on paper, but in fact it makes for a nice little cabin layout. Not worth $12k, but at the right price it could be an option.

I preferred the design of the Suncat, but the one there was a mess. Generally not maintained and there was moisture around the port side chainplate soaking the nearby trim boards inside to pudding. As a $2000 project boat? Possibly. For $10k? Pass.

post #14 of 23 Old 03-26-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post

I would definitely want the board down when sailing upwind. i suggest that you make the seller demonstrate the centerboard function. Perhaps he can jack up the rear of the boat when on the trailer and lower the board a few inches? Or agree to hold back some of the purchase price until you are able to launch the boat and check the centerboard yourself.
Honestly, Iím going to pass on the P18 because it isnít my ideal boat and I think options will broaden soon, but pushing for a test-sail on an iffy boat is an excellent suggestion. Thank you.
post #15 of 23 Old 03-26-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmaddy View Post
I think it depends more on how the mast is setup than on the size of the boat.

On my Catalina 22 I can lower the mast alone and only need someone to hold a line for a minute while I raise it.

Conversely I have a friend with a 17í boat and itís an absolute squirrel circus every time she raises or lowers her mast. It takes like five people and Iíve seen them drop it once.

And I hear you on the C. I sail 16' MCs on Lake Harriet and it is more work to raise those little masts than it is on my 22í.

I love the Compac system. Iíve never used it, but Iíve watched a guy that brings his to Lake Nokomis and it looks so slick.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #16 of 23 Old 03-26-2019
Gemini 105Mc

I won't make any comments to the OP, it seems he has picked out a few boats he likes and will end up with one of them. However, to those talking about stepping a mast. Here is my video of my Catalina 25, almost 11 years ago, doing it by myself.....

post #17 of 23 Old 03-26-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
I won't make any comments to the OP, it seems he...
She.
post #18 of 23 Old 03-26-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post

Conversely I have a friend with a 17í boat and itís an absolute squirrel circus every time she raises or lowers her mast. It takes like five people and Iíve seen them drop it once.
Is that the Vic?
post #19 of 23 Old 03-26-2019
Gemini 105Mc

Sorry, don't understand she? What the heck does that mean?

Opps you meant She as in her, sorry about that.........
post #20 of 23 Old 03-26-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
\ Have a much larger keel/center board board and only use the center board hard on the wind and then only when I remember to drop it. ues with the trunk, etc but Capta details how to check them out on the trailer.
If this is actually the case you are missing out on many of the benefits of a centerboard boat. A centerboard is not just for hard on the wind but can be used to balance the boat (take away lee or weather helm) on any point of sail, slow the rolling motion running downwind and give you a much better turning point when running in heavier weather. It is not an all or nothing proposition, but something someone with a board should play around with every bit as much as the sheets.
As a liveaboard, we get more use out of the board at anchor to stabilize us in rolly anchorages than we do for making the boat go to weather better. Of course, it is nice to stick that thing all the way down (10.5 feet) and damn the balance when it's blowing over 25 knots in 6 to 8-foot seas and we are hard on the wind. lol

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in