O’Day Daysailer - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 Old 04-04-2019

Re: ODay Daysailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
By the way, a friend is restoring a boat that in all ways appears to be a DS II but it does not have the outboard motor well, and there is a bronze construction plate in the cuddy that shows it as being built by "Annapolis Boatbuilding" and hull No 240.

Does anyone have any idea what that is?

Jeff
I think only the DS-I had the outboard well. And even then, not the very first year or two (1959-1960?).

The DS-II has a 2 inch thick transom. Clamp the outboard anywhere you want, so long as it does not interfere with the rudder. No deck back there.

The DS-III has a bit of deck at the stern, like the DS-I, but no place for an outboard, you need to bolt a bracket on the stern. And you also get a couple more inches of freeboard at the stern. (DS-I & DS-II are very, very low.)

There were / are multiple builders of the DS (and may still be) but Annapolis Boatbuilding doesn't ring a bell as being one of them.

The fine folks at daysailer.org are very helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 04-05-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
The DS-1 had varnished mahogany seats and floor boards. They were pretty easy to remove for maintenance but were still a pain-in the butt to maintain. I assume they were removed in order to do the restoration and were in bad shape and so were not reinstalled. The thwart at the top of the centerboard trunk is a class required item if you race, but was also an important structural component.

By the way, a friend is restoring a boat that in all ways appears to be a DS II but it does not have the outboard motor well, and there is a bronze construction plate in the cuddy that shows it as being built by "Annapolis Boatbuilding" and hull No 240.

Does anyone have any idea what that is?

Jeff
Jeff,
The triple digit DS I's did have mahogany seats and floorboards. By the time they got to the four digit boats, the seats (bunks) become fiberglass and permanently fiber glassed to the hull. The only way to remove them is by a grinder, saw etc. The Seamon family still races at one at SSA. Stop by and take a look. There are many other DS I's there and you can see the fiberglass bunks. Take a look at Jim Fisher's for example. They are actually floatation tanks and many folks had placed foam in them. A common problem was the foam would become water logged and add significant weight to the boat. I removed the foam and placed flotation bags in mine. The floorboards you mentioned are removable. I still have mine but don't use them as the boat is primarily used for racing. You are correct that the thwart is a structural component.

WRT the boat being built by Annapolis Boatbuilding, I don't think they were ever an official builder sanctioned by the class. There have been many builders over the years. The current builder is Cape Cod Shipbuilding. If you go to Daysailer.org, I believe there is a history of the builders, hull numbers etc. that you could use to confirm if the boat is a Daysailer or a knock-off.

GaryO
The Following User Says Thank You to ImGary01 For This Useful Post:
Jeff_H (04-05-2019)
post #13 of 16 Old 01-05-2020

Re: O’Day Daysailer

I'm heading to Cedar Key later this month and am thinking to tow my Daysailer down for a few days. Any of you guys with small boats have experience in that area?

post #14 of 16 Old 01-05-2020
Learning the HARD way...

My experience is south of Cedar Key. Cabbage Key, and Pine Island Sound/Gasparilla area. I highly recommend it, especially for a boat with a retractable keel!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 16 Old 01-06-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oday22 View Post
Ok so Im looking to buy my first sailboat. In my search over the past few weeks, I have been consistently lowering the size range of my search. This is due to practicality of learning to sail on a big boat, as well as the limited tow capacity of my truck.

I am now looking at an ODay 17 Daysailer. The boat is in very good condition, except that the benches have been removed. I am not sure why someone would remove the benches. Does anyone have any clue how I could go about replacing the benches? What kind of material would you use? Could I buy benches and anchor them to the boat?

I have a attached a picture of the boat.
I had an early DS many years ago. It looks like the wood coamings (mine were teak) have also been removed. Not a big deal to replace them and you will appreciate them when you put them back, unless you plan on sailing in your bathing suit!
post #16 of 16 Old 01-08-2020

Re: O’Day Daysailer

There are a lot of "day sailers" out there. Maybe the seller is using "day sailer" in a generic way.

Can you confirm that it is made by O'Day? That will tell you a lot.

I had an O'Day daysailer... but I can't imagine sailing it without seats.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in