O’Day Daysailer - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-26-2019 Thread Starter

O’Day Daysailer

Ok so I’m looking to buy my first sailboat. In my search over the past few weeks, I have been consistently lowering the size range of my search. This is due to practicality of learning to sail on a big boat, as well as the limited tow capacity of my truck.

I am now looking at an O’Day 17’ Daysailer. The boat is in very good condition, except that the benches have been removed. I am not sure why someone would remove the benches. Does anyone have any clue how I could go about replacing the benches? What kind of material would you use? Could I buy benches and anchor them to the boat?

I have a attached a picture of the boat.
Attached Thumbnails
B8C03BDC-6AD2-4B83-8F4D-14A553F1266B_1553608917239.jpeg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-26-2019

Re: ODay Daysailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oday22 View Post
Ok so Im looking to buy my first sailboat. In my search over the past few weeks, I have been consistently lowering the size range of my search. This is due to practicality of learning to sail on a big boat, as well as the limited tow capacity of my truck.

I am now looking at an ODay 17 Daysailer. The boat is in very good condition, except that the benches have been removed. I am not sure why someone would remove the benches. Does anyone have any clue how I could go about replacing the benches? What kind of material would you use? Could I buy benches and anchor them to the boat?

I have a attached a picture of the boat.
The Daysailer has a great members association and there is tons of help on the forum. Go to daysailer.org and start searching, asking questions etc. It will be hard to find more support from any other group.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-26-2019

Re: O’Day Daysailer

DS17s are nice boats. Stable, sail well IMO.

post #4 of 12 Old 03-26-2019

Another vote for the Daysailer. On a more practical note: removed the benches?! How does one do that? I thought they were part of the cockpit? Hmmm. There are a couple of Oday websites that might offer some help: iheartodays.com and odayowners.com. You could also try Rudy at D&R Marine drmarine.com. Rudy used to work at Oday and has the molds and parts for a lot of the boats. Getting him on the phone can be a challenge, but he's a fount of information.

If you are looking at that size boat, you should also look at the Rhodes 19. Like the Daysailer, the Rhodes is a forgiving boat to learn on, and is still a blast to sail.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-26-2019

Are you sure that is an ODay Daysailer? The stern, centerboard trunk, inside of the caddy cabin and lack of seats all look different from my Daysailer II.
If someone did remove the benches it looks like they did a nice job

Last edited by Dfok; 03-26-2019 at 06:28 PM.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-27-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfok View Post
Are you sure that is an ODay Daysailer? The stern, centerboard trunk, inside of the caddy cabin and lack of seats all look different from my Daysailer II.
I am not certain, however that is what the owner called it. It looks like they went threw great effort to take the benches out. I can’t think of reason for it.

I attached another’s photo of the boat from a different angle.
Attached Thumbnails
6AA41798-43E4-4610-BD76-4DA8B3BDDF50_1553692514486.jpeg  
post #7 of 12 Old 04-04-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfok View Post
Agreed. Doesn't look like my DS-II either.

I think that is a very heavily (and very well) restored DS-I with a couple modifications. (Not sure what year the DS to DS-II changeover happened, there may have been some production overlap. But probably a pre-1972-ish boat.)

The well at the transom, the open cuddy, and seats not being molded in as part of the deck give it away as the original DS. Why the seats were removed is a mystery. There really should be a reinforcing board across the cockpit to stabilize the CB trunk.

OP are you looking for a pretty DS or a cheap DS? I might be willing to part with mine cheap, but it is in pretty rough shape. Sails fine, but ugly.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-04-2019

DeepDish,

Agreed, it is a DSI.

Oday22,

If you are going to race the preferred boat is the DSI as long as the hull is stiff and she weighs in correctly at 575 lbs. Check that because you never know how much weight has been added during a restoration. Also, contact the class measurer with regards to the replacement of the seats. If they are not located correctly, the boat will not measure in at sanctioned regattas. The thwart will also have to be reinstalled.

The open cuddy provides many more options for rigging, dropping the spinnaker into a basket, stowing the spinnaker pole etc. The DSII's are typically much heavier and don't provide the open access.

If you are not going to race, any of the DS versions will suit you just fine. The DS has a planing hull and that can be lots of fun.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-04-2019
Administrator

The DS-1 had varnished mahogany seats and floor boards. They were pretty easy to remove for maintenance but were still a pain-in the butt to maintain. I assume they were removed in order to do the restoration and were in bad shape and so were not reinstalled. The thwart at the top of the centerboard trunk is a class required item if you race, but was also an important structural component.

By the way, a friend is restoring a boat that in all ways appears to be a DS II but it does not have the outboard motor well, and there is a bronze construction plate in the cuddy that shows it as being built by "Annapolis Boatbuilding" and hull No 240.

Does anyone have any idea what that is?

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #10 of 12 Old 04-04-2019
Barquito

Possibly the PO found him or herself on the gunnels all the time, and didn't have any use for the benches?

Valiant 32

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in