Newer SunCat vs older Hereschoff America - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 Old 04-01-2019 Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 90
Thanks: 9
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1
 
Re: Newer SunCat vs older Hereschoff America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
There is more than one ComPac (a couple of SunCats) for sale, within a half day drive. Keep in mind that ComPac made several version of their 16ft hull. The difference essentially being the size of the forecabin. Some are not listed as SunCats, rather just generically. Check them out. A half day drive is not too bad, for the right boat.

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/cgi...ate&so=descend
Well, yes and no...

I follow Sailboat listings every day, along with Sailing Texas and the a saved sailboat search for Craiglist for Minneapolis, Duluth, Madison, Milwaukee, Green Bay, Chicago, Dubuque and Des Moines. The thing about Sailboat Listings is that most of those ads are several years old. I've called, for example, on the Suncat in East Lansing (sold), a Sunday Cat in Texas (sold). I've called on 2 Picnic Cats (one in MN, one in WI)--both sold. Oklahoma would be 12 hour one way drive minimally. It is only the catboats and the Legacy (a rather small sloop) that the Compacs have some version of quick (5-10 minute max) rigging. There are a zillion Compac 16's, 19's and 23's out there, but they all involve the usual chore to step the mast, and rig up like any other sloop.

I do think some will come up as we get into April, but not yet. Believe me, I am looking.

Meanwhile, there is the Herreschoff about 3 hours away. It looks like a beefier Suncat or a smaller Horizon Cat. I was hoping some of you had experience with this boat. Recent surgery keeps me from driving for the next couple weeks, but if it's still for sale at that point, I will be interested. I hope by then there are also some other choices.

Renae
Rmaddy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 23 Old 04-01-2019 Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 90
Thanks: 9
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1
 
Re: Newer SunCat vs older Hereschoff America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Here is me raising the mast on my small cat boat alone. I was sailing down wind, got to a low bridge, lowered the mast, steered the boat under the bridge, then let go of the tiller and put my mast back up to continue sailing on the other side.
What boat is that, Arcb? It looks like a Suncat or Sunday cat.

Renae
Rmaddy is offline  
post #13 of 23 Old 04-01-2019 Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 90
Thanks: 9
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1
 
Re: Newer SunCat vs older Hereschoff America

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblumhorst View Post
Have you looked at an old Marshall Sanderling 18 footer yet? They are lovely boats to sail, and easily fit four in the cockpit for day sailing. they can cover more distance in a day than the Suncat can. The boat can handle high winds with aplomb, compared to the other boats you’ve mentioned.

Judy
Hi Judy!

No Marshalls close enough to see, although I check for them daily as well. I did make a call on a Menger Cat 19 footer on SailboatListings (which would have been as heavy as the Herreschoff), but it was sold last year already.

I agree that the Sunday Cat would be perfect. Easy to singlehand, but roomy enough for a party of four, with just enough of a Cuddy to keep some gear and a portapotty.

Renae
Rmaddy is offline  
 
post #14 of 23 Old 04-01-2019
Senior Member
 
Arcb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 3,662
Thanks: 210
Thanked 195 Times in 191 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: Newer SunCat vs older Hereschoff America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmaddy View Post
What boat is that, Arcb? It looks like a Suncat or Sunday cat.
She is a 1986 Bay Hen 21. She's a feather weight, only 900 pounds, but carrys more sail than a Suncat.

I think the mast raising system is pretty much the same as a Suncat.
Arcb is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Arcb For This Useful Post:
Rmaddy (04-01-2019)
post #15 of 23 Old 04-01-2019 Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 90
Thanks: 9
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1
 
Re: Newer SunCat vs older Hereschoff America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
She is a 1986 Bay Hen 21. She's a feather weight, only 900 pounds, but carrys more sail than a Suncat.

I think the mast raising system is pretty much the same as a Suncat.
She must be a fantastic boat. I will add the Bay Hen to my search list!

Renae
Rmaddy is offline  
post #16 of 23 Old 04-01-2019
Senior Member
 
Arcb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 3,662
Thanks: 210
Thanked 195 Times in 191 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: Newer SunCat vs older Hereschoff America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmaddy View Post
She must be a fantastic boat. I will add the Bay Hen to my search list!
Yes, i just reread your other thread and realised you were looking for sheltered water boats. Yes, she is a very nice boat for inland lakes in my opionion. I wonder if, based on your criteria you could also add Dovekies, Marsh Hens and Sea Pearls to your list. They are all sub 1000 pound cat style boats that are highly trailerable and should be affordable if you can find them.

Marsh Hens and Seapearls have semi permanent canvas doghouses in lieu of cabins, but it is somewhere to get out of the rain and keep your stuff. Sea Pearls are cat ketches which is kind of a nifty short handed cruising rig.
Arcb is offline  
post #17 of 23 Old 04-01-2019
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Nanaimo BC
Posts: 812
Thanks: 0
Thanked 45 Times in 45 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: Newer SunCat vs older Hereschoff America

Arcb
It appears that Rmaddy is a relative newcomer; I think that you should direct him to your excellent 'camping in the BAY Hen' series...it might give him a feel for your great boat.
Arcb likes this.
paulinnanaimo is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to paulinnanaimo For This Useful Post:
Arcb (04-01-2019)
post #18 of 23 Old 04-01-2019
Senior Member
 
Arcb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 3,662
Thanks: 210
Thanked 195 Times in 191 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: Newer SunCat vs older Hereschoff America

Thanks, as Paul mentioned I have a Youtube channel more or less focused on my Bay Hen. I am not aware of any others quite like it. Its just me cruising around on my little cat rigged trailer sailer with my wife and kids.

Here is a thread I started on my 2018 Thousand Islands Cruise.

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruis...d-islands.html

Here is another series I did the previous year sailing the Rideau Lakes in Eastern Ontario, I dont beleive I ever shared this one on SN..

Rideau Canal: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...dn92pqtZuuulJD

This summer I think we might hit Lake Opeongo in the Algonquin Park and probably back to Eastern Lake Ontario again, maybe Prine Edward County/Bay of Quinte.
Arcb is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Arcb For This Useful Post:
Rmaddy (04-02-2019)
post #19 of 23 Old 04-04-2019
Senior Member
 
fallard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mystic
Posts: 2,303
Thanks: 19
Thanked 80 Times in 79 Posts
Rep Power: 11
 
Re: Newer SunCat vs older Hereschoff America

We owned a Herreshoff America for about 15 years, quite a few years ago. It is similar to a Marshall Sanderling and close enough to the 17 and 19’ Mengers. The America is heavier than the Sanderling and has more weather helm, but has more teak and is prettier (IMHO) than the others. We stepped and unstepped the mast with the boat in the water at a floating dock, but we kept the boat in the water in season. We had a trailer, but launched the boat via travelift as a matter of convenience. The America should be floated off a trailer—not tilted off—if you launch at a ramp. That said, I would not want to dry sail a traditionally-rigged catboat in this weight category (2500# displacement) as stepping and unstepping the mast without a mast tabernacle or a gin pole is a dicey matter for 2 able-bodied crew. Otherwise, there are lots of folks who single hand them, once they are rigged. Newbies will find a catboat easy to sail, but skill matters if you want to sail them well. You should reef a catboat when you first think about it, but they are not tender and can handle being overpowered—is just isn’t comfortable ar pretty to watch.

The classic gaff-rigged catboat is a very stable platform, due to displacement and beam for its length. They can handle snotty weather and show their workboat origins in that regard. We’ve sailed ours in open coastal waters on trips as long as 45 miles and they are quite capable in that regard, but you don’t want to be caught in open water under conditions that risk getting pooped—given the large cockpit.

Most of the catboats I’ve seen as a formerly active member of the Catboat Association were well built and have aged well. Still there are some issues to watch, like the plywood bulkhead in the Marshall cats, which are repairable and worth the effort in an otherwise sound boat.

However, all that said, if the OP wants to dry sail and keep options open for single handed launch/retrieval, he would be better served to look at lighter boats like the Arcb’s Bay Hen (and lots of others). They won’t be as comfortable or as stable as a catboat, but they are certainly are an option.
fallard is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to fallard For This Useful Post:
Rmaddy (04-04-2019)
post #20 of 23 Old 04-04-2019 Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 90
Thanks: 9
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1
 
Re: Newer SunCat vs older Hereschoff America

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
We owned a Herreshoff America for about 15 years, quite a few years ago. It is similar to a Marshall Sanderling and close enough to the 17 and 19’ Mengers. The America is heavier than the Sanderling and has more weather helm, but has more teak and is prettier (IMHO) than the others. We stepped and unstepped the mast with the boat in the water at a floating dock, but we kept the boat in the water in season. We had a trailer, but launched the boat via travelift as a matter of convenience. The America should be floated off a trailer—not tilted off—if you launch at a ramp. That said, I would not want to dry sail a traditionally-rigged catboat in this weight category (2500# displacement) as stepping and unstepping the mast without a mast tabernacle or a gin pole is a dicey matter for 2 able-bodied crew. Otherwise, there are lots of folks who single hand them, once they are rigged. Newbies will find a catboat easy to sail, but skill matters if you want to sail them well. You should reef a catboat when you first think about it, but they are not tender and can handle being overpowered—is just isn’t comfortable ar pretty to watch.

The classic gaff-rigged catboat is a very stable platform, due to displacement and beam for its length. They can handle snotty weather and show their workboat origins in that regard. We’ve sailed ours in open coastal waters on trips as long as 45 miles and they are quite capable in that regard, but you don’t want to be caught in open water under conditions that risk getting pooped—given the large cockpit.

Most of the catboats I’ve seen as a formerly active member of the Catboat Association were well built and have aged well. Still there are some issues to watch, like the plywood bulkhead in the Marshall cats, which are repairable and worth the effort in an otherwise sound boat.

However, all that said, if the OP wants to dry sail and keep options open for single handed launch/retrieval, he would be better served to look at lighter boats like the Arcb’s Bay Hen (and lots of others). They won’t be as comfortable or as stable as a catboat, but they are certainly are an option.
That’s really quite helpful. Thank you.

Yes, the plan is to dry sail. Regarding the HA, I think trailering/untrailering would be the biggest obstacle. As far as stepping the mast is concerned, there are several online who apparently retrofit their Americas with a tabernacle, at which point I think it could be raised by one.

It’s spring, and I’m eager, but I agree that the HA is not an ideal fit. I continue to look for SunCats and SundayCats within striking distance. Meanwhile, I am checking out every local boat that meets most of my criteria, and I’ve found a couple that would work with a few modifications.

Renae
Rmaddy is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you go newer smaller or older and larger for good caribbean? GCASKEW Boat Review and Purchase Forum 14 07-08-2012 01:15 AM
Sunsail Older Oceanis 373 or Newer Jeanneau 36i? EvanstonJohn Chartering 9 04-22-2010 09:32 AM
Older boat or newer boat - pros and cons Jcody2121 Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 9 03-14-2010 08:31 PM
buying older vs. newer dpierce Boat Review and Purchase Forum 3 08-29-2003 11:06 AM
Older or newer...what''s best gknopp Boat Review and Purchase Forum 4 05-14-2003 10:33 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome