SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Newer SunCat vs older Hereschoff America (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/329024-newer-suncat-vs-older-hereschoff-america.html)

Rmaddy 03-31-2019 02:52 PM

Newer SunCat vs older Hereschoff America

It seems pretty clear that the Compac line of cats were strongly influenced by the Hereschoff. Iím still looking for that elusive northern Suncat, but I have located a Hereschoff America less than 4 hours from home. Having quite a bit more sail area, I donít think the HA will rig with anything approaching the simpliciity of the Suncat. On the other hand, the 43 year old Hereschoff sells for 1/2 the price of a recent Suncat. I would possibly give up on my ambitions of trailer sailing with the Hereschoff, using the savings for a slip or buoy.

Cat sailersówhat say you? Would you rather have a 40+ year old Hereschoff or a 5Ė10 year old Suncat, assuming I can even find one.

Arcb 03-31-2019 03:12 PM

Re: Newer SunCat vs older Hereschoff America

Personally, I would rather have a Suncat. I suspect the reason Americas have so much sail area is because they need it. 2500 pounds for an 18ft boat seems a bit excessive to me.

Rmaddy 03-31-2019 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arcb (Post 2051592940)
Personally, I would rather have a Suncat. I suspect the reason Americas have so much sail area is because they need it. 2500 pounds for an 18ft boat seems a bit excessive to me.

Youíre probably right, but the SA/Disp is 18.35 on the SC vs 22.64 on the HA. Again, I think this will play out in the Herreschoff being harder to rig, but even enthusiastic SC owners tend to concede that it is underpowered.

The other issue is cost. Herreschoffís routinely sell for about 1/2 the price of a 10 year old Suncat.

I still donít know if a SC will materialize close enough to create the choice. Iím hopeful, but being in the upper Midwest limits options.

paulinnanaimo 03-31-2019 04:11 PM

Have you now ruled out all other possibilities, i.e. other boat types?

Rmaddy 03-31-2019 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulinnanaimo (Post 2051592954)
Have you now ruled out all other possibilities, i.e. other boat types?

No, but given my criteria (quick rigging, easy to trailer, able to be single handed, able to take 4), catboats are good options for me. Iíve looked at 3 Potters and a Sanibel this spring, as well as 3 Cape Dory Typhoons and a Precision 18.

I wouldnít say that Iíve ruled out anything, but I am coning in on what makes sense for me.

jblumhorst 04-01-2019 01:07 AM

I’d want a boat that came with a trailer, that can be rigged and ready to go in and hour or two,at most. I love being able to tow my boat to far off sailing destinations for a vacation but I don’t want to get exhausted rasing the mast. I get bored sailing the same old places year in and years

With regard to costs: id like to remind you that A boat that is kept on a trailer costs much less to maintain over a couple of years than a boat that is kept in the water.

The Sun Cats are exceptionally user friendly. About as easy to rig an launch as it gets. Fun to day sail. Fast enough to take on vacation. Very well behaved.

I’ve sailed the Potter 19, Sannibel 17, and Precision 18. The cockpits are a bit crowded for four adults in heavy weather. They can all be rigged and launched in a reasonable amount of time and towed with a 3500# capacity tow vehicle

Have you looked at an old Marshall Sanderling 18 footer yet? They are lovely boats to sail, and easily fit four in the cockpit for day sailing. they can cover more distance in a day than the Suncat can. The boat can handle high winds with aplomb, compared to the other boats you’ve mentioned

I’ve never sailed or even seen the America in person.

I’m not a catboat connoisseur so this is just my non expert opinion.

Judy

Minnewaska 04-01-2019 07:52 AM

There is more than one ComPac (a couple of SunCats) for sale, within a half day drive. Keep in mind that ComPac made several version of their 16ft hull. The difference essentially being the size of the forecabin. Some are not listed as SunCats, rather just generically. Check them out. A half day drive is not too bad, for the right boat.

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/cgi...ate&so=descend

Arcb 04-01-2019 08:35 AM

I agree with Judys sentiments entirely. I went from keel boat sailing the same old stretch of water at a cost of about $6000 in moorage and storage fees a year to trailer sailing all over the place for about $250 a year in trailer maintenance. It cant be over stated how much cheaper trailer sailing is than renting a slip for a keel boat. Plus, I work full time, so I cant get too far on my 3 weeks vacation at 5 knots sailing but the ability to travel down the highway at 55 knots opens up pretty much all of eastern North America to me.

But, you need the right boat to make it happen and I am not sure a 2500 pound cat boat is something I would care to launch and rig on my own every time I went sailing. There are several small sloops that I would consider, they are probably not as easy as some of the small cat boats but are still quite do able.

Here is me raising the mast on my small cat boat alone. I was sailing down wind, got to a low bridge, lowered the mast, steered the boat under the bridge, then let go of the tiller and put my mast back up to continue sailing on the other side.

Rmaddy 04-01-2019 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 2051593092)
There is more than one ComPac (a couple of SunCats) for sale, within a half day drive. Keep in mind that ComPac made several version of their 16ft hull. The difference essentially being the size of the forecabin. Some are not listed as SunCats, rather just generically. Check them out. A half day drive is not too bad, for the right boat.

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/cgi...ate&so=descend

I'm in Minnesota. There is one Sun Cat at Hooper's, which is a mess. There is a 2017 Sunday Cat in Madison listed above the typical 2019 price. Other than that, there are none near me. That doesn't mean there won't be new listings, but the options are limited across the heartland. In Florida, it would be like shooting fish in a barrel.

Minnewaska 04-01-2019 10:16 AM

I think you might look more closely. At a glance, I see them in Michigan, Wisconsin, even Oklahoma, which is probably a half day drive from you. They donít all say SunCat, but look to be essentially the same thing. Good luck.