SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Outboard Engines Limit (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/329046-outboard-engines-limit.html)

Pasadena 04-02-2019 01:17 PM

Outboard Engines Limit

I am looking at a boat with a fairly new Outboard engine (about a 100 hours) 9.9 four stroke.

Assuming there are no technical issues with it. Are these engines able to run continuously for 70nm, as a motorcycle or a car would, or are this motors limited to short runs?

Any information is welcomed

Minnewaska 04-02-2019 01:45 PM

Re: Outboard Engines Limit

Marine motors are typically tracked by the number of hours they run, rather than miles covered, as speed will not be consistent.

A properly maintained outboard should be able to run all day, if you like, just not at wide open throttle.

Arcb 04-02-2019 01:56 PM

I run my 4 Stroke Honda 2.3 all day at %70, 8-10 hours a day at times. No problem. I carry spare plugs. The motor let's me know when to swap in a clean one.

drew1711 04-02-2019 02:42 PM

Ditto for me. My 8 hp 4 stroke at 1/3 throttle will push the boat at hull speed all day no problem. Just keep an eye on the pee (coolant) stream and you should be fine.

Pasadena 04-02-2019 06:09 PM

Fantastic. Thank you very much for the information. This gives us a much wider search area to look for a boat.

I have to rely on the engine to bring us home in case we are not confident enough to do the first trip to our moorage fully on sail.

I'll make sure is well serviced before the first trip.

ReefMagnet 04-02-2019 06:14 PM

I once had a sailboat fitted with the older model Yamaha 9.9 (which was nearly new at the time) and found it's pee hole would salt up after a fair few hours of continual running on occasion, usually in rougher water. Other than that, it happily ran all day long.

jephotog 04-02-2019 06:24 PM

I am not sure recommend a 70 mile delivery for a shakedown cruise, especially if you don't know how to sail. If you can't split the delivery into two days or bring along a skilled sailor, you might want to consider hiring a Captain or renting a trailer.

Chas H 04-02-2019 06:32 PM

If you anticipate running the engine for an extended time period on your first run home, take plenty of fuel and a known quantity so you can measure consumption and get to know your new to you engine.
-CH

Pasadena 04-02-2019 06:32 PM

We are thinking to split the trip in two days if we decide to buy at that distance. We know how to sail, but we are not experts and will be unfamiliar with the boat. I just want to have a realistic back up plan in case we decide to go on the engine. I am sure we would not resit opening the sails )

DeepDish 04-02-2019 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chas H (Post 2051593438)
If you anticipate running the engine for an extended time period on your first run home, take plenty of fuel and a known quantity so you can measure consumption and get to know your new to you engine.
-CH

Same with oil. Make sure you carry some to top off.

On a new-to-you engine, you probably should take the time to learn its habits...

Run 1 hour, check too see if oil consumption is noticeable. (Probably not.)

Run 5 hours, check oil.

Run 10 hours, check.

As others have said, if you're running 50% power (well, 25%-75%) it ought to go non stop virtually forever. (Yes, you probably should stop every 100 hours to change the oil, or whatever your mfr recommends.)

If you idle too much, you may gunk up the plugs but new 4 strokes seem to have fewer problems with that than old 2 stroke engines did. On the other hand small 4 strokes sip so little fuel (carb jets are so small) that they are sensitive to old or contaminated fuel, and varnish deposits.