1977 bayliner buccaneer - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 04-05-2019 Thread Starter

1977 bayliner buccaneer

Hi everyone thanks for letting me join the Forum. at the end of February we bought a 1977 Bayliner buccaneer and took her out before we were actually ready. She didn't come with the engine but she has a 9.9 Yamaha that froze when we ran into a sandbar and she ended up getting stuck for 3 days and banged around(starboard stay and spreader is broken and the rudders bent) I'm concerned about hull. How thick is the fiberglass? I don't have the money for haul out or survey. if anybody has experience or dataid certainly appreciate the input. I'm not able to find what I've been looking for last couple of weeks. I'm just concerned with her safety as a liveaboard and coastal Cruiser. I don't know anything about sailboats but I'm willing to learn and looking for actual device not just opinions thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-05-2019

Dock
Re: 1977 bayliner buccaneer

Buccaneer is a trailerable boat. Shouldn't be too hard to get it out of the water for a look.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-05-2019
Administrator

You don't say which model you own and the avatar picture is too small to see. There are huge differences in build quality and design quality between the various models of this era. As the name implies, the Bayliner Buccaneers were sailboats built by a 'value oriented' powerboat company to offset diminished powerboat sales during the 1970's era fuel crisis. Boats like the 210, 240, 270, 275, 280, 305, 320, and 325, were really crummy designs that sailed poorly and were really badly built. But almost at the same time, Bucanneer bought the tooling for a range of very nice little boats that sailed well, and generally seemed to be better constructed than the boats mentioned above. These included the 220, 250, 255, 272, 277, 295, and 335.

If you have a 210, 240, 270, 275, 280, 305, 320, and 325, they are okay as a cheap live aboard, but not worth investing in if you plan to sail the boat. While the other Buccaneers were better built and sail much better, they were not the most robustly constructed design and so a a grounding like you describe could would have probably done a lot of damage, some visible some hidden. Frankly the cost to repair the boat sounds like several times what it would be worth. Given your experience level, if you have a 220, 250, 255, 272, 277, 295, or 335, and are inclined to repair the boat, I would strongly suggest that you have a surveyor to fully evaluate the extent of the damage and probable costs to repair. If you have 210, 240, 270, 275, 280, 305, 320, and 325 I would probably not bother to start the repair process since you are describing damage that is far more than several times as costly to repair than the boat will ever be worth. I would suggest that you instead use the repair money to buy a better boat.

Respectfully,
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

post #4 of 4 Old 04-06-2019

Ok, this is going to sound mean and heartless...my apologies. If you can't afford a haul out or survey, maybe you shouldn't be in boating. It's one thing to buy a boat on the cheap just to live aboard and never leave the dock. It's an all together different ballgame if you actually want to go cruising. That takes maintenance, upkeep and occasional parts and systems replacement and all that takes money. Fixing the problems you have described is (probably) going to cost way more than the boat is worth. Maybe you can just tie it up to a dock and live aboard in an as-is condition.

Catalina 34

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in