Boat Sale Paperwork - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Boat Sale Paperwork

Hi,

We found a sailboat and closed the sale.

What kind of paperwork can I expect in Canada to claim ownership? The owner is going to write a Bill of Sale with the serial number of the boat and the outboard.

Is that enough? is there anything else I should request?

Thank you for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: Boat Sale Paperwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasadena View Post
Hi,

We found a sailboat and closed the sale.

What kind of paperwork can I expect in Canada to claim ownership? The owner is going to write a Bill of Sale with the serial number of the boat and the outboard.

Is that enough? is there anything else I should request?

Thank you for any advice.
If the boat has a licence number on the bow you should get a copy of that document as well. Also, if the boat is equipped with a modern vhf that has DSC, find out if the previous owner registered an MMSI number on the radio. If so you might want to get that info so you can re-register the MMSI number in your name. Once that number is entered into the VHF radio it cannot be changed.

We bought our last boat through a broker and they provided us with 2 bills of sales, one showed the sale of the boat for $1 which was purely for proof of ownership. The other bill of sale had the actual purchase price on it which was for taxation purposes.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Pasadena likes this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #3 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
If the boat has a licence number on the bow you should get a copy of that document as well. Also, if the boat is equipped with a modern vhf that has DSC, find out if the previous owner registered an MMSI number on the radio. If so you might want to get that info so you can re-register the MMSI number in your name. Once that number is entered into the VHF radio it cannot be changed.

We bought our last boat through a broker and they provided us with 2 bills of sales, one showed the sale of the boat for $1 which was purely for proof of ownership. The other bill of sale had the actual purchase price on it which was for taxation purposes.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Fantastic, we'll find out the radio MMSI number. No license number on the bow in this one. Thank you very much SchockT

post #4 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Congratulations Pasadena. I know very little about these sales transactions but I thought every boat had to be numbered and registered. If you are buying this vessel from the unhelpful seller on Vancouver Island, I would make certain there are no registration problems before you pay for the boat.
Pasadena likes this.
post #5 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Is the boat staying in Canada?

Where was it built?
Pasadena likes this.
post #6 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinnanaimo View Post
Congratulations Pasadena. I know very little about these sales transactions but I thought every boat had to be numbered and registered. If you are buying this vessel from the unhelpful seller on Vancouver Island, I would make certain there are no registration problems before you pay for the boat.
Thanks Paulinnanaimo, it all worked out in the end. The boat was in great shape and the owner as helpful as he could. I guess he had his share of frustration too.

For what I gather so far, it is voluntary to register a boat in Canada with engines under 10hp. Unless you want an official name for the boat, in that case you get the number as well.
post #7 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Lake Sailor

I think a call to whomever is the registration authority is necessary for a definitive answer.

Umquam Porro

Seeker 1992 Beneteau First 235

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Call the Washington Department of Licensing and ask them what documents they need in order to title the boat in your name.

post #9 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Is the boat staying in Canada?

Where was it built?
Yes, 1980
post #10 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb32863 View Post
I think a call to whomever is the registration authority is necessary for a definitive answer.
Thank you. Yes, we found the forms from Transport Canada. Should all be fine.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in