Pondering Selling our Tartan 30 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Pondering Selling our Tartan 30

We're seriously thinking of getting a different boat, but haven't sold anything over 17ft before.

We've had Clementine, our Tartan 30C, for almost seven years and we've put a lot into her: New rigging, all new through hulls with proper flanges, new water/holding tanks, a fuel polishing system, recored decks, new stbd bulkhead, dutchman system, new sails, AC power with a PronauticP charger, fully rewired 12v with proper wires and terminals and new panels, etc. I have a replacement head for the diesel sitting here ready to install.

Our sailing needs have changed and we're ready to move on.

Looking around at advertised prices, I see that most Tartan 30s are selling for less than the recore cost, to say nothing of the added gear.

A) How do you get over the difference between the upgrade costs and the final sale price?
B) Is there anything I can do to recover any of that difference or do I really just need to get over it?

1975 Tartan 30 Competition Rig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: Pondering Selling our Tartan 30

All you need to do to recover all your upgrade costs is to include them in your sales price and find a buyer who will pay it. This is not likely.
post #3 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago

The upgrade cost was to ensure that you enjoyed the boat and your use of it. If you enjoyed it, then you already recouped the upgrade cost.

It's not impossible that you won't find a new owner who appreciates the work you did and is willing to pay for it. It is, however, very unlikely.

The "money in should equal money out" thinking is what leads a lot of people to do half-assed repairs and cut costs wherever possible. It's not isolated to boats, either. This is why you should never buy a house from someone who flips houses. Buy my old house, which I put real effort into because I loved it and never cut corners on any projects. (although it's too late for that, the house is already sold)

post #4 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMoran View Post
The "money in should equal money out" thinking ...
Definitely not thinking that. Only an idiot would pay that amount for my boat, and I don't want to sell her to an idiot!
BillMoran likes this.

1975 Tartan 30 Competition Rig
post #5 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago
cdy

you put $10K into a 10K boat - you still have a $10K boat - especially in Florida, small sailboats that need to be kept in a slip are a dime /dozen it seems in Florida - there is a huge saturation - slips run $10 foot and up - hard to justify keeping a $10K boat in a slip that is going to cost $4K per year
post #6 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago

If your boat is a particularly nice example of a T30 then you should be able to ask top dollar for it. Having said that, "top dollar" means a price in the upper range of the going rate for T30s. All the upgrades you did to the boat will not dramatically increase the value of the boat, but they will make the boat compare well to similar boats on the market. The boat will likely sell faster that other T30s on the market, but not necessarily for a huge amount more money.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #7 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago

The couple I bought my boat from told me they wanted to get back what they paid for it, which was quite a bit over what similar boats sold for. Plus wanted some for the couple thousand they spend on maintenance.. I said sorry no. When other, better equipped boats sell for less I don't care how much you paid or put into it. If anything I probably overpaid by only going 10-15% under asking price (and then immediately had a $1k repair...). IF you spend ~10% of the price every year on maintenance/upgrades you might get back your purchase price, maybe. Are there lots of similar options around then probably not. I trolled yachtworld for a year and still saw the same boats for the same price there the whole time, likely someone who wanted more than their boat was worth. Mine had been for sale for over a year, and they got <80% of initial ask.
post #8 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Freedom Chip Counter

Create a nice write up, show how much you cared for her, be sure she's in bristol condition or at least the best condition you are willing to get her in.

Be reasonable and then be patient.

There is a market for older Tartans, but to find a buyer that can appreciate the her value is a rare find. When you do find him or her, be sure the boat will pass an inspection and survey. Only you can decide if it is really worth the time and effort to get top dollar.

Tartan 31
post #9 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago

This is used boat sales 101. Find comps, ask for what the average most similar boat is selling for in your area (which is an important variable), expect to get chiseled down a few thousand and let her go. What you put into it is irrelevant.

1968 Cal 2-30
Sandpiper 2
MDR
post #10 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

I've always said a boat for sale has two prices. One is what the owner thinks the boat is worth including any emotional attachment to her, like the kids growing up on her, or in your case how much work and money went into making her just right for you.
Then there is a potential buyer. He or she will have none of the emotional attachment to the boat, and if an educated buyer, will be familiar with the going value of that sort of boat in good condition. That buyer will have a value in mind and that's what they are willing to pay.
If the two parties can come to an agreement, then there is a sale, but as happens in way too many cases, the owner will not sell at the price the buyer wants to pay, even though it may be a fair price for that sort of boat in good condition. Then the boat will remain on the market for quite some time, costing the owner more maintenance, insurance and slip/moring/storage fees, so that in the end, the owner would have actually come out ahead selling for less and getting out from under an unwanted boat quickly. I have seen this many dozens of times, as has anybody who watches particular boats on Yachtworld.
paulk likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in