Looking to purchase- advice - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 39 Old 05-26-2019

Re: Looking to purchase- advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Every state has its own rules. Even 10' would require at least a permit in many, as I said my preference of 8.5' still leaves a few, yes in the East.

Good sites:https://oversize.io/regulations/over...y-restrictions
http://www.greatharbourtrawlers.com/...resources.html
Pretty much over 8.5 feet requires a wide load permit, which are not hard to get. My S2 7.9 at only 26 feet is 9 feet wide so requires a wide load permit. The hardest part was figuring out how to tie the wide load signs and install flags on the vehicle at its widest point.

Limiting yourself to under 8.5 feet or under 10 feet will either limit your boat length or your boat choices to a very small selection.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 Old 05-26-2019 Thread Starter

Wide load permits are easy to acquire and can be completed online. An additional safety driver was the fly in the soup and that is why I limited myself to 10 feet beam. This still puts me into the 35ft boat range which is spacious enough for a family of four. The other limiting factor was 15k lbs for the trailer. This still produces a good selection of boats. I just need more ideas on which boats fit those limitations. I can see the logic in getting a larger vessel and allowing a commercial carrier to take care of the situation, but for the moment I have this nice trailer and I would like to explore its potential.
post #13 of 39 Old 05-27-2019
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfie way View Post
It
1- Beam 10ft or less
2- 32-35 ft
3- less than 15k lbs.
4-encapsulated keel
5-Good tankage
So far on my list is the Cal34, Pearson 35 and Vangaurd, Alberg 35, Ericson 35, Ranger 33.
I cannot find a list of boats based on dimension and weight so any ideas would be appreciated,Cheers
A couple quick comments, I don't know Canada or all of the state's trucking rules, but my boat was professionally shipped into Maryland from Maine. She is slightly less than 12-0 wide and the carrier did not need a wide load chase car, he only needed a wide load permit.

Also you mentioned wanting an encapsulated keel. Quite a few of the boats on your list have bolt on keels. Those boats on your list that do have encapsulated keels are quite up in years, so you need to be very careful with those. Over time there is a tendency for the ballast keel to delaminate from the encapsulation envelope. Encapsulated keel boats of that era do not have internal framing to support the keel's side loads and so counted on the bond between the ballast keel and the encapsulation envelope for load distribution in a hard grounding. With the bond broken there is less strength and the turn of the bilge into the keel encapsulation envelope is subjected to higher cyclical loading which can cause fatigue over time and further greatly weaken the Hull's resistance to a grounding or a collision with a hard submerged object.

You can find a huge amount of data on most models that have been built on Sailboatdata.com.

Good hunting,
Jeff
sailforlife and ImGary01 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

post #14 of 39 Old 05-27-2019

One word.....Nor'sea 27. Yes but 27 is a number, not a word. Less than 15k pounds (about 8500 or so), encapsulated keel, 8 foot beam, she will fit on your trailer, several have been around the world, 50 gallons water, 27 gallons fuel. She has a way of stepping the mast unaided by the yard, about 4 foot draft. And she is pretty. Consider overall height on the trailer because of gas station awnings and low hanging wires.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.
post #15 of 39 Old 05-27-2019 Thread Starter

Thank you Jeff_H for your well thought out response. Admittedly, I am not familiar with the details of interstate transport. Most of my concern is based on the limitations of this sailboat trailer. Your observations on encapsulated keel has me reevaluating my position. I shy away from keel bolts due to a previous acquaintance who's keel bolts had wasted away and could not be replaced. The corrective action was to install lag bolts in between the wasted bolts. I was not satisfied with this repair. I know that not all boats are created equal and some manufactures made provisions for replacement. I would consider these as potential purchases. If you have some boats in mind with easily replaceable keel bolts and are robust please advise. My budget for initial purchase is modest at 35K US currency with additional in reserve for refit. Cheers
post #16 of 39 Old 05-27-2019 Thread Starter

Nor'sea 27 is a beautiful boat for 2 adults, but for a family of 4 it is just too tight for the likes of my other half.
post #17 of 39 Old 05-27-2019

And finding a good example within that budget would be lucky, especially including the costs involved traveling round trip cross country to pick it up
post #18 of 39 Old 05-27-2019 Thread Starter

One of the benefits of owing a trailer is that it opens up additional possibilities for attaining sailboats that are in unusual situations that may dissuade other potential buyers. This resulting in a corresponding price correction.
post #19 of 39 Old 05-27-2019

Yes, but even if you do feel confident to DIY the trip, big rig travelling thousands of miles is not a trivial added cost.

Not saying "too high" just don't underestimate
post #20 of 39 Old 05-28-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfie way View Post
It is time to start evaluating boats for potential purchase. My requirements are unusual and not solely based on performance. I have a triple axle sailboat trailer that can carry up to 15K lbs. The trailer is 32ft long so it can maybe take a boat up to 35ft. I really like the idea of bringing the boat home once and a while for a refit. This limits me to a beam of 10ft or less to stay in the DOT "wide load" permit for most states. The criteria for a boat would be:
1- Beam 10ft or less
2- 32-35 ft
3- less than 15k lbs.
4-encapsulated keel
5-Good tankage
So far on my list is the Cal34, Pearson 35 and Vangaurd, Alberg 35, Ericson 35, Ranger 33.
I cannot find a list of boats based on dimension and weight so any ideas would be appreciated,Cheers
Cape Dory 28 is built like a tank and should take you about anywhere and I have a friend that trailers his no problem.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in