Looking to purchase- advice - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 39 Old 05-29-2019
Doesn't sail enough

Re: Looking to purchase- advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfie way View Post
If you have some boats in mind with easily replaceable keel bolts and are robust please advise.
Buy a Beneteau with an iron keel, replacing the bolts is a standard maintenance procedure, and they'll sell you a kit.

Any boat with an lead keel will have J-shaped studs embedded in the lead and require a heck of a lot more work to replace them in a way that is as strong as the original.

'78 Dolphin 31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 Old 05-29-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

"sailboats that are in unusual situations"
An expensive road trip with the trailer just to lay eyes on it, and find out maybe what you have. And a similar long trip home once you find out what it really is or isn't. Not that there aren't pots of gold at the end of the rainbow, but "unusual" boats usually mean someone sin't mentioning how extensive the damages are. Estate sales of half-completed project boats, all sorts of oddities that usually, once you price them out, will not be bargains.
But good luck with the hunt.
post #23 of 39 Old 05-29-2019 Thread Starter

In general you are correct about bargain hunting, which I am not really doing. I would rather buy a complete, ready to go boat. However, there are gems out there worth getting. When your digging for gold you got to get your hands dirty.

post #24 of 39 Old 05-29-2019 Thread Starter

Beneteau with Iron keels have easily replaceable keel bolts, that's the information I was looking for. Thanks. Any others?
post #25 of 39 Old 05-29-2019
Administrator

Quote:
Beneteau with Iron keels have easily replaceable keel bolts, that's the information I was looking for. Thanks. Any others?
Here is the thing, with boats there are no silver bullets or always true statements. Like most things about boats every decision is a compromise.
Not all Beneteaus have iron keels
Not all Beneteaus with iron keels have easily replaceable keel bolts.
Iron keels typically come with some mix of less stability, poorer motion comfort and/or poorer sailing performance.
Not all lead keels have J-Bolts
Not all boats with lead Keels and J-bolts have keel bolts that are hard to replace. (You drill new holes and nut pockets just the way lead keels were built before J-bolts were invented, and if you go back with Monel nuts and bolts you will never have to replace them again)
Boats with iron keels that may have steel keel bolts that may be easier and cheaper to replace, typically need their keel
bolts replaced on a more frequent basis (10-to 15 years) vs lead keels with stainless steel bolts(25 to 40 years)
Boats with lead keels and monel keel bolts, pretty much never need their keel bolts replaced.
ImGary01 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff_H For This Useful Post:
newfie way (05-29-2019)
post #26 of 39 Old 05-29-2019 Thread Starter

Head spinning, can't think, where did I leave my beer? Was it monel keel with lead bolts or was it lead keel with candy canes? Has anybody seen the door? That light at the end of the tunnel is starting to look like an encapsulated lead keel again. There I was shopping for a Beneteau and now I am back to a Cal34. The one thing I really want to avoid is manufactured obsolescence. Repair-ability is as important to me as functionality. Forget the keel, I'm gonna buy a Corsair Marine F27 trimaran!
post #27 of 39 Old 05-29-2019

Airfares are cheap, only drive the trailer out after the deal's closed.

A mini-survey by a trusted experienced sailor if not a pro, would be ideal, prior to committing to airfare.

These overheads just need to be factored in if you're casting your net wider in search of "the one" and have exhausted more local options.
post #28 of 39 Old 05-30-2019

Dock

Quote:
Head spinning, can't think, where did I leave my beer? Was it monel keel with lead bolts or was it lead keel with candy canes? Has anybody seen the door? That light at the end of the tunnel is starting to look like an encapsulated lead keel again. There I was shopping for a Beneteau and now I am back to a Cal34. The one thing I really want to avoid is manufactured obsolescence. Repair-ability is as important to me as functionality. Forget the keel, I'm gonna buy a Corsair Marine F27 trimaran!

I'm sorry, but it's nutzo to block out the world's largest producer of boats because you have heard some story from - not even a friend but - an acquaintance.

An oyster sank when it's keel fell off. Wipe all Oysters off the list?
Catalinas have sunk. Wipe them out?
Hunters sink. Chop them off?
Cape Dories have caught fire... Scrap them?

What vehicle do you drive? Power steering can fail so do you only drive a vehicle without power steering?

Your fears do not stack up against any risk analysis. Look for a boat you and your family will like to be aboard and have family fun time.

BTW I can not see family fun time including a narrow boat parked in the back yard.

Sorry to be critical.

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #29 of 39 Old 05-30-2019 Thread Starter

No worries, just a little humor to accentuate a first world problem.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #30 of 39 Old 05-31-2019
Above 5 knots

Dock

Seaward 32 RK.. and you can launch it and retrieve it yourself, can use a motorboat trailer, and step the mast yourself.

What did I win?

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in