Looking to purchase- advice - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Looking to purchase- advice

It is time to start evaluating boats for potential purchase. My requirements are unusual and not solely based on performance. I have a triple axle sailboat trailer that can carry up to 15K lbs. The trailer is 32ft long so it can maybe take a boat up to 35ft. I really like the idea of bringing the boat home once and a while for a refit. This limits me to a beam of 10ft or less to stay in the DOT "wide load" permit for most states. The criteria for a boat would be:
1- Beam 10ft or less
2- 32-35 ft
3- less than 15k lbs.
4-encapsulated keel
5-Good tankage
So far on my list is the Cal34, Pearson 35 and Vangaurd, Alberg 35, Ericson 35, Ranger 33.
I cannot find a list of boats based on dimension and weight so any ideas would be appreciated,Cheers

Last edited by newfie way; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:36 PM. Reason: add word
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: Looking to purchase- advice

Similar interests.

I recommend 8.5' beam, covers more states but still not all.

That eliminates lots of nice models, forces mostly 28' or less.

But note having a shorter list helps focus the search.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ts-193354.html
post #3 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I don't know all the boats you mentioned intimately but don't think they will have particularly good tankage. They are all coastal cruisers with likely 25-gallon fuel tanks. Boats over 8.5 ft will require a wide load permit and a wide load permit will get you to 12 feet with some restrictions, not sure you would want to limit yourself to 10 feet. If your intention is just to trailer it home for offseason storage or to work on the boat, you don't need to worry about the wide load restrictions of each state. You may be able to trailer a boat of this size but these are not trailer-able boats. You will likely need a crane, and a days worth of work and a wallet full of 100 dollar bills to pull your boat out of the water and the same to launch it, compared to that effort getting a wide load permit is easy.

Lots of boats to compare here.
The Alajuela 33 Sailboat : Bluewaterboats.org

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thanks for the links. The reason for the maximum 10ft beam is because widths over 10 ft requires you to have safety cars with orange flashing lights fore and aft of the wide load trailer. That takes 3 people instead of just one to transport. 10 ft seems like the magic number for most states.
Also, I wouldn't want to put the boat on the hard every year, just every few years for maintenance. I believe a travel lift can place the boat on a trailer just as easy as it can place it on stands. Then for few dollars more have a crane un-step the mast, then head down the road.
post #5 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

8.5 is ideal for trailering, but a 28ft or less is just too small for the family. I have been on a Cape Dory 28 with a family of 4 and we were in each others way all the time. Overnighting was too much for the wife. She was a little better with the Cal34 but still angry with the tight squeeze.
post #6 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Folding cat?
post #7 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfie way View Post
Thanks for the links. The reason for the maximum 10ft beam is because widths over 10 ft requires you to have safety cars with orange flashing lights fore and aft of the wide load trailer. That takes 3 people instead of just one to transport. 10 ft seems like the magic number for most states.

Double check your stats on that. I just did a transport on a wide load boat and had did some research on wide load needs. At least in the west I believe you only need safety vehicles above 12 feet. If your plan is to only transport it every 3 years or so, I would not let a small thing like needing support vehicles to dictate the boat's beam. If you live near the ocean you could hire two Uber drivers to support your transport home.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Uber is a good idea! I would not have thought of that. I will recheck the permit stats to see if safety drivers are required over 10ft or 12ft. If so, then the only other thing limiting my purchase would be weight.
post #9 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

So the wide load permit states that if over 10ft one safety driver required. If over 12ft two safety drivers are required. If over 10ft- operation in daylight hours only. If over 12ft- operation in daylight hours only and Sunday prohibited. This is why I think 10ft or less is ideal since I will be far from the coast. I realize different rules for different states, so that comes into play as well.
post #10 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Every state has its own rules. Even 10' would require at least a permit in many, as I said my preference of 8.5' still leaves a few, yes in the East.

Good sites:https://oversize.io/regulations/over...y-restrictions
http://www.greatharbourtrawlers.com/...resources.html

Last edited by john61ct; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:37 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in