Buying a small cruiser! - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 Old 06-09-2019

Re: Buying a small cruiser!

Can't really go wrong with either of the boats, they are all good boats. it i would come down to the one you feel the most comfortable in. you did mention short handed sailing so that might be a deciding factor., it is for me . All three have mast head rigs, but the Bene 323 has outboard shrouds/ sweepback spreaders and caries a smaller non overlapping jib and the others will mostly have big over lapping genius. if the boat needs a big genoa to sail light winds it is going to be a bit of a handful for short handed sailing. it will requiring sail changes when the wind is up. the hunter is a small main large genoa boat and would rely the most on the large genoa.when we bought our latest Bene I did look at the Cat320 but then decided I did not want another boat that relied on the large genoa and full crew for good performance.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 Old 06-09-2019

The Hunter B&R rig does not use a smaller headsail and larger genoa. The whole point of the rig was to allow for a bigger main and smaller jib, so that particular argument doesn't fly. The downside to the B&R or any other swept back spreader is that the mainsail cannot present as much sail area when running downwind without chaffing on the spreaders. There will be advantages and disadvantages to any of the boats mentioned. Pick the model you like best and then find the most well maintained example you can find. If you don't have any strong preferences between models then pick the best maintained example of all the models.
A well maintained Hunter is better than a dilapidated Hinckley!

PS. A dilapidated Hinckley might be Hard to Find ! Still I think you get the point.
post #13 of 27 Old 06-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
Can't really go wrong with either of the boats, they are all good boats. it i would come down to the one you feel the most comfortable in. you did mention short handed sailing so that might be a deciding factor., it is for me . All three have mast head rigs, but the Bene 323 has outboard shrouds/ sweepback spreaders and caries a smaller non overlapping jib and the others will mostly have big over lapping genius. if the boat needs a big genoa to sail light winds it is going to be a bit of a handful for short handed sailing. it will requiring sail changes when the wind is up. the hunter is a small main large genoa boat and would rely the most on the large genoa.when we bought our latest Bene I did look at the Cat320 but then decided I did not want another boat that relied on the large genoa and full crew for good performance.
Yes, definitely having a smaller headsail makes short handed sailing much easier. My 39i has a small jib, and it is more manageable single hande than my old Santana 30 Genoa upwind! I can short tack the boat in 15kts of wind without assistance from my wife. Part of that is also ergonomics. Pay attention to the positions of sail controls relative to the helm position. Being able to grind or ease the headsail without leaving the helm means you can do the hard work yourself and let the wife enjoy the ride.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

post #14 of 27 Old 06-09-2019

My wife does the grinding on our boat, likes to be useful while getting some good exercise.
post #15 of 27 Old 06-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinnanaimo View Post
My wife does the grinding on our boat, likes to be useful while getting some good exercise.
Yes so does mine, or the helming, but there are occasions when she is down below doing something, or otherwise occupied. It is nice if you don't NEED the help.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #16 of 27 Old 06-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
I love it when Bounder owners denigrate Winnebago buyers. I guess that if you were truly an “avid” sailor, you’d be looking at nothing less than J105s – wife be damned (you might also want to start looking for a good divorce attorney). Shoal draft and performance aren’t usually found in the same sentence. The truth of the matter is most of the boats that are considered “weekenders” in your size range are going to look a lot like the three that you are considering.

Full disclosure – I own a Catalina 34 in the same vintage as your target zone. I do know a couple of people who own C320s, one of which is a member of the Single-Handed Sailor’s Society in San Francisco and has qualified his C320 for the Single Handed Transpac. Whereas naturally, I prefer the cabin and deck layout on my C34, the C320 is quite serviceable. Most people sleep in the aft cabin so check it out before you buy. Mrs. B likes the C320 galley better. With the notoriously light winds of the Chessie, I would concentrate my search on the tall rig version. I’ve owned Catalinas of various stripes for over thirty years and I can attest to their above average build quality and superior customer support. But the best way to gauge what the owners think about their boats is to visit the message board from the owner’s association website and read a honest assessment of what the owners feel about their boats.

Check out:

/https://c320.org/

Mark, light (small) cruisers have 6” guns, heavies 8”. Battleships start at 12”.
Wow...just...Wow
post #17 of 27 Old 06-10-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMc57 View Post
Wow...just...Wow
Yeah, I didn't know what to make of that. WTF is a "Bounder" anyway??

Even among "furniture boats" there are boats that sail nicely and there are boats that sail like pigs. You don't need to go as spartan as a J109 to get good performance!

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #18 of 27 Old 06-10-2019

Minnesail likes this.

George B
2000 Catalina 34 MkII
Alameda, Ca.
post #19 of 27 Old 06-10-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinnanaimo View Post

I'm not sure what to say about this post.

I so need a girlfriend.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #20 of 27 Old 06-10-2019

Probably best if you don't say anything Mark.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in