SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Dufour Arpege (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/33021-dufour-arpege.html)

K45 05-29-2007 12:43 PM

Dufour Arpege

Hi,

I am looking at buying a Dufour Arpege. Im currently just researching and would be very grateful for any info that any one might have. Also if any1 has a copy of the May 2004 Practical Boat Owner magazine review for the Arpege.

Many Thanks :)

Sabre66 05-29-2007 02:00 PM

We owned one back in the early 80's. She was a great boat, very sea worthy and a good family cruiser.

sailh34 05-29-2007 04:58 PM

I read a book about some people crossing the Atlantic in one. I think the book was called "First Crossing". I think the author may have been McConnell. They seemed to like the boat and it may be worth a read if you are considering buying an Arpege.

I looked on Amazon and they have the book used from $0.54...
First Crossing: The Personal Log of a Transatlantic Adventure (Hardcover)
by Malcolm McConnell (Author), Caroll McConnell (Author)

Hope that helps.

Bluesmoods 05-29-2007 07:13 PM

The Arpege is a great boat all around. They built about 1500 of them. Go for it

You will love sailing this boat!

K45 05-31-2007 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailh34
I read a book about some people crossing the Atlantic in one. I think the book was called "First Crossing". I think the author may have been McConnell. They seemed to like the boat and it may be worth a read if you are considering buying an Arpege.

I looked on Amazon and they have the book used from $0.54...
First Crossing: The Personal Log of a Transatlantic Adventure (Hardcover)
by Malcolm McConnell (Author), Caroll McConnell (Author)

Hope that helps.

Yeah i bought a copy of this book a few weeks ago. They did a follow up book too 'Middle Sea Autumn', not bought this yet tho.

Thanks

cpa2 05-31-2007 06:48 PM

I had an Arpege for a little over a year. I loved the boat, thought it was a good sailor and was well made. The only reason i sold it was because i was a live aboard and needed a boat with more space. Great boat though!

flh 06-02-2007 10:47 AM

You may find link to good help on :
Arpège
The Arpege fans pictures books
With also links to some European Arpege owners an fans association

K45 06-02-2007 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpa2
I had an Arpege for a little over a year. I loved the boat, thought it was a good sailor and was well made. The only reason i sold it was because i was a live aboard and needed a boat with more space. Great boat though!

What aspects of the boat made it too small as a liveaboard? Did you liveaboard on ur own? What did you move up to?

Sabre66 06-04-2007 08:55 PM

Nice quarter berths, two settee's, large v-berth...fold down table...chart table...sink...galley...head... It's a great boat..go for it.

rogereaton 08-06-2007 01:41 PM

we have an arpege

We own one now. We bought it in Florida in 2003 and have sailed it up to RI. Last summer we sailed up to Penobscot Bay in ME and then back. It has been a great cruising boat. They are very solid. They are still plentiful in France and in England and can be purchased in the US for less than $10,000.00. I know some new owners in Florida and in Maine and can put you in touch if you are able to find one. Roger Eaton