New Sailboat -- Acceptance - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 05-29-2007 Thread Starter

New Sailboat -- Acceptance

When buying a new sailboat, what is the process for acceptance from a dealer? This happens before the commissioning process, so I just wanted to see from others what the typical new sailboat purchase process was. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 05-29-2007

I have purchased all of my sailboats new... but I do not understand your question. Would you mind explaining it more??

Thanks.

- CD
post #3 of 42 Old 05-29-2007

I just closed on my boat so I think I understand. Sales Process for me was this.

1) Order the boat and put down a deposit. At this point the dealer considered the boat mine. Failure to complete the sale would be a forfiture of the deposit. Not a small sum.

2) Boat is delivered to dealer. Now The dealer wants to close on the boat ASAP even though the boat is not commissioned. I hired a Surveyor to go through the boat, sound the hull and make sure all of the options I ordered were present and working.

Several flaws to this logic.
a) rig not stepped
b) boat in the slings and not commissioned so other than making sure there was motor not much else could be done for that.
c) No batteries in the boat so the electronics and lights were not tested.

BUT, the hull was sounded and no voids. My main concern was to make sure that this was the case. The other items can be fixed/replaced if needed however a void in the hull was another matter. As it turned out everything worked as expected.

Once you pay your money your leverage is gone.

The bottom line on a new boat is to make sure the dealer is reputable and has a long standing history. It's a lot of faith and trust in the dealer relationship.

What I should have done differently, I did not negotiate a withhold of $$ when I ordered the boat. The 10% could be held back until you sail away from the dock.
Negotiate this upfront, This is really hard to do after the bell has been rung.

I guess the quick answer to your question is you accept the boat when you pay for it.

Dave
s/v "eclipse"
Mystic CT
2007 Hunter 49

post #4 of 42 Old 05-29-2007

Interesting, I can not imagine paying in total for something before it is finished and ready to be delivered. I have never bought a new boat so I have no experience there, but I have heard that having it surveyed is a good idea, but would not do this until delivery. I think your suggestion to hold back 10% until delivery is a sufficient solution, good advice on negotiating that ahead of time.
post #5 of 42 Old 05-29-2007

I have bought 4 new boats and never done that. Of course, I pretty much knew what I was getting. At the dealer I worked with, you can call and get your money back. THough it would piss them off, and in theory they could keep your money, I have never know them to keep the money (even at times when they should have).

Brezzin is very, very right about one thing: you buy your boat from the dealer. You have to change your mindset to interviewing the dealer.... not just the boat. A very common mistake amongst boat purchasers is they will shop prices against dealers. The thought process is that a Ford is a Ford, right? It all comes from the same yard, right? One dealer just wants to charge more for it so they can buy a bigger Mercedes, right??

Well, that might be right in Sea Rays and motor boats, but not in sail boats... especially Catalina.

I will not divulge it on this board as I feel it is proprietary, but I know EXACTLY what my dealer makes (as they are friends). I was shocked. I couldn't make money that way. And yet, they lose deals to other dealers. How? Becuase they return a lot of their money back into their people and business (especially their service). Other dealers have some schmuck with a hammer and screwdriver paid minimum wage to do their service work. Thus, they can have a lower profit margin and still make money. And if you think for a second you buy your boat from one dealer then take it to another for service, aren't you going to be suprised!!! It is a boat, not a Ford. And although they might have some clause from the manufacturer that they HAVE to fix your tub, that does not mean it HAS to be done in a timely and proper fashion.

You buy your boat from the dealer. Do not base your purchase decision solely off of price. Base it off of their time in business, ethics, service, and especially their reputation. Otherwise you might be sitting on a quarter million dollar + headache.

- CD

PS I am not sure this is what you meant?? If not, just explain and I will try and help further.
post #6 of 42 Old 05-29-2007

Quote:
Interesting, I can not imagine paying in total for something before it is finished and ready to be delivered. I have never bought a new boat so I have no experience there, but I have heard that having it surveyed is a good idea, but would not do this until delivery. I think your suggestion to hold back 10% until delivery is a sufficient solution, good advice on negotiating that ahead of time.
Hmm, ever built a house or bought one pre-construction? Ever ordered a car? I have closed and bought both sight unseen. Why would a boat that likely costs more than both of these put together be any different?

That is a negative of buying new.

- CD
post #7 of 42 Old 05-29-2007
moderate?

CD...while you have been fortunate I have posted before that I have close friends who had an entirely different experience with a much "higher end" brand that REALLY screwed up their new boat and would not stand behind it when the flaws were discovered. 3 years of lawyers and litigtion later they finally got their $$ back but had wasted so much time and money in the fight that they could no longer afford to cruise.
This is why I urge anyone buying new to negotiate a hold back of 20% contingent on survey before taking posession. A new boat is no guaranted of a trouble free buying experience.
post #8 of 42 Old 05-29-2007

All depends on the dealer, doesn't it?? That was my point. And what do you mean "Higher End"?? My name plate says Catalina YACHTS.

Hylas, Taswell, Mason, EVEN TAYYYANNNNNA is just a plane ole Tayana. Don't believe me - look at your name plate!! Mine is a yacht, Baby. (smile).

- CD

PS I can feel your fingers trembling with irritation as you are preparing to type back some totally uncalled-for remark!! HAHAH!

PSS I do not dissagree with you, just depends on the dealer.
post #9 of 42 Old 05-29-2007
moderate?

Maybe I should have just said a lot more expensive! (G)
post #10 of 42 Old 05-29-2007

CD..it says YACHTS so dumb people can know they go on the water!!!!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in