Can this boat be saved - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 37 Old 07-02-2019 Thread Starter

Re: Can this boat be saved

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Claims to its current sailing abilities are strange unless you've actually sailed it.

Mark
The owner has left the country and is trying to get it sold at any price.

What do you think it is worth as is.

I have a friend who has sailed to for a season.

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 Old 07-02-2019

It's like someone with more money than brains threw darts at an option catalog.
post #13 of 37 Old 07-02-2019

Dock

@davidpm

This is so obviously a troll post.

It's a pile of overpriced junk and you know it.

Mark
zeehag and scubadoo like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

post #14 of 37 Old 07-02-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post

Speaking as someone who is trying to sell a 1979 Oday 23 as I write (anyone interested?), I can tell you that the market in Connecticut for smaller, older sailboats is absolutely saturated. Last summer, my friend had to give away his 90's vintage 24' Beneteau (new Honda outboard, and a trailer!) as he couldn't sell it. He even tried to donate it and got no takers from among the many charities that do take boat donations. I've got my boat listed for $2500, and although I've had about 5 showings, there have been no offers. At this point, I'm going to either list it for free or try and donate it.

Which brings me to your friend's boat. Buyers interested in 25 foot boats are usually looking for an inexpensive way to get on the water. Your competition isn't the other boats listed for 50K; the competition is the other 23-25 footers. None of them are selling for more than about $5000, and that's with a trailer.

So, in my humble, yet expert and correct opinion, your friend's boat is worth about $5000. All of the upgrades and the goodies will likely make it one of the first $5000 boats sold, but that's the extent of their "value". Someone might even be willing to pay a premium to have those things; my guess is that they may pay as much as $8000 for the boat. But I doubt much more. I'm thinking back to when I bought my Oday 20 years ago; I was really frugal about the whole thing. It was my first "big" boat, and I was very conservative with my money as I had no real idea of what the ongoing costs might be. I passed up some slightly more expensive options (some Catalina 25's in really good shape) because at the time, I didn't think they were worth the extra 2 or 3 grand. That's the mindset of your target buyer here. As has been pointed out above, anyone who wants a "luxury" daysailer has a lot of better options at that price, and would likely shy away from a 50+ year old boat anyway.

My two cents (adjusted for inflation).
MarkofSeaLife and StubbornOne like this.
post #15 of 37 Old 07-02-2019

To add to mstern's comments. There are a few small boats that will command a premium price, anything Morris or Alerion come to mind but they are few and far between as are the buyers for them. With an old Pearson, asking over $5,000 you'll be climbing Mount Everest in the off season to get twice that price and extremely doubtful you'd get anyone to even look it at 10 times the price. That's a beautiful boat and I'm sure the owner has every nickel in it that he is asking but it would be a miracle to get into 5 figures for it.
davidpm and MarkofSeaLife like this.
post #16 of 37 Old 07-04-2019

Just looked over the ad. Looks like a great boat (or at least a concept) for someone wanting to downsize.

As others have pointed out, however, for this kind of money you can find a decent Alerion 28. And that is a proven sailor with a nice overnighting interior.

Like all boats, no matter what pedigree, it will sell --- at some (!) price --- albeit not likely for the price being asked. Still, ya never know... it just takes ONE buyer. And once he/she steps aboard and falls in love, the negotiation will begin in earnest.

1988 Olson 34, by Ericson Yachts.
Sail # 28400
Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
RCYC, Portland, Oregon
post #17 of 37 Old 07-05-2019

So, whats wrong with having an inboard on a 25’ sailboat or any size for that matter? Outboards are for fishing boats.
zeehag likes this.
post #18 of 37 Old 07-05-2019
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousineddy View Post
So, whats wrong with having an inboard on a 25’ sailboat or any size for that matter? Outboards are for fishing boats.
The issue is this, boats are designed as a system ideally with pretty much all of its parts working in harmony. A competent designer considers all of the major weights, and designs the boat to sit on its lines under normal loading. Its never easy to anticipate everything that might happen in the life of a boat, but you try to anticipate and design around the things that are normally expected to happen. And while big boats can tolerate all kinds of small adjustments in loading, small boats are pretty intolerant of extra weight and where it is placed in the boat. They are also pretty intolerant of extra drag (such a cutting and aperture for the propeller) as well. This boat was never designed for the added weight of the engine and tanks, its placement in the boat, or the added drag that this installation represents. It takes what was an acceptably decent sailing boat for that era and potentially undermines its seaworthiness, motion, and performance.

In other words, the issue is not with a boat having an inboard engine. The issue is with this boat, which was never designed to have an inboard engine, having one dropped into it. And given the other dubious design decisions on this boat, it is unlikely that this was actually reviewed and engineered by a yacht designer or naval architect.

Jeff
SanderO likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #19 of 37 Old 07-05-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post

Why isn't the friend buying it, then? Does it say a lot that perhaps he doesn't want it at any price? Is Jeff batting 1000 on this one?
post #20 of 37 Old 07-06-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
Why isn't the friend buying it, then? Does it say a lot that perhaps he doesn't want it at any price? Is Jeff batting 1000 on this one?
He like me is put off by the fact that the boat doesn't sail very well.

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in