New to sailing, pick for me - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 20Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 44 Old 08-11-2019
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,029
Thanks: 2
Thanked 66 Times in 64 Posts
Rep Power: 17
 
Re: New to sailing, pick for me

Quote:
1976 C&C 25 Also a ways away assured everything is great.
The guy that doesn't know if it has a furler assured you everything is great ? Just saying, maybe his grandma only sailed it to church on Sundays.
Orionsail likes this.

"Just call me TB"
capttb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 44 Old 08-11-2019
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 86
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 1
 
Re: New to sailing, pick for me

From the boats listed, I too, like the Catalina 25.

I would definitely rule out any boat where the engine does not start, unless, they adjust the price to replace the engine. If it doesn't start when you view the boat, it likely won't start when use absolutely need to use it!

I don't understand the 'no head' comments? There should be room on all of these boats for a least a porta potty if there is no marine head. There is nothing wrong with having a porta potty on an inexpensive daysailer. It sure beats asking the wife to hang her bum over the side of the boat!

Jim
Orionsail likes this.
JamesLD is offline  
post #13 of 44 Old 08-11-2019
Member
 
jhwelch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: MA
Posts: 76
Thanks: 3
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Re: New to sailing, pick for me

A big difference between a boat with an outboard and one with an inboard is the boat with an inboard will be able to motor more successfully in rough seas.

If you are looking at a boat with an inboard inspect the engine and see how clean it is and how easy it is to access critical areas such as the water pump and the stuffing box.

You can get many parts for an Atomic 4 from Moyer Marine (electronic ignition would be the first thing I'd install) and you can upgrade your propeller to a three-bladed one for a bit more power and speed.
Orionsail likes this.
jhwelch is offline  
 
post #14 of 44 Old 08-11-2019
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Pensacola
Posts: 42
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: New to sailing, pick for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
The Tartan 27 is a big 27' boat that probably comes with an inboard. It's a boat I'd cross oceans in.

Cape Dory built a solid boat but old design and won't be as fast in light air as the fin keel boats but will be a lot steadier and comfortable when the wind pipes up.
Tartan is probably the best of the group. The Cape Dory will be worth just as much when you sell it in ten years as you will pay for it now. And, if you tend to run aground, a full keel will incur less damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwelch View Post
the boat with an inboard will be able to motor more successfully in rough seas.

BINGO! That's the one advantage of an inboard in this size range.
OldMan-theSea is offline  
post #15 of 44 Old 08-11-2019 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 16
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: New to sailing, pick for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttb View Post
The guy that doesn't know if it has a furler assured you everything is great ? Just saying, maybe his grandma only sailed it to church on Sundays.
He said that there is one for the boat but it is stored at his yacht club and needs to make sure it's still there. Have not heard back from him...
Orionsail is offline  
post #16 of 44 Old 08-11-2019 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 16
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: New to sailing, pick for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwelch View Post
A big difference between a boat with an outboard and one with an inboard is the boat with an inboard will be able to motor more successfully in rough seas.

If you are looking at a boat with an inboard inspect the engine and see how clean it is and how easy it is to access critical areas such as the water pump and the stuffing box.

You can get many parts for an Atomic 4 from Moyer Marine (electronic ignition would be the first thing I'd install) and you can upgrade your propeller to a three-bladed one for a bit more power and speed.
I feel the same way. The atomic in the Cat 27 was tight to get in and look over but looked good and started right up with a bottle of antifreeze attached (its on the hard, would be dependent on floating it and making sure everything is ok).
Orionsail is offline  
post #17 of 44 Old 08-11-2019 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 16
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: New to sailing, pick for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan-theSea View Post
Tartan is probably the best of the group. The Cape Dory will be worth just as much when you sell it in ten years as you will pay for it now. And, if you tend to run aground, a full keel will incur less damage.




BINGO! That's the one advantage of an inboard in this size range.
The local marina guy said the same about the Cape Dory. I don't think I can sell my wife on it for some reason it wierded her out and she is usually a very grounded person. Maybe because the way it was just left there as if he was planning on sailing the next day and didn't make it.

Why do you feel the Tartan is the best of the group? This is the ad https://vermont.craigslist.org/boa/d...953049521.html
Orionsail is offline  
post #18 of 44 Old 08-11-2019
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Pensacola
Posts: 42
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: New to sailing, pick for me

Choice in boats is always personal and partly reputation. Tartan has always been considered a very high quality boat and I would rank it at the top of the group you listed.
OldMan-theSea is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to OldMan-theSea For This Useful Post:
Orionsail (08-12-2019)
post #19 of 44 Old 08-12-2019
Senior Member
 
roverhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Kona, Hawaii
Posts: 1,001
Thanks: 5
Thanked 86 Times in 83 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Re: New to sailing, pick for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orionsail View Post
Why do you feel the Tartan is the best of the group? This is the ad https://vermont.craigslist.org/boa/d...953049521.html
The Tartan is an S&S design so sailing pedigree is designed in. The boats were strongly built and they have been sailed all over including at least 2 that I know were sailed here to Hawaii. The ad says it comes with an electric start outboard but there is no bracket on the back to mount it. Fairly easy to install a bracket but strange that it already hasn't been done. These boats came stock with an Atomic 4 IIRC and looks like the prop is still in place for the inboard. If the A4 is missing they are regularly available used and Moyer marine sells rebuilt and new engines at pretty decent prices if you wanted to go with a low cost inboard. You could also search for a used 10-15 hp diesel which would be an ideal engine for the boat. Other than the engine, the boat appears well maintained. It's pretty sparsely equipped, no roller furling headsail, Depth Sounder is a Dinosaur that could be 40 years old. We took a boat to SoPac with no roller furling and a similar depth sounder. At the asking price there is plenty of room to make some additions and or just bolt on a motor bracket and use the boat as is.
OldMan-theSea and Orionsail like this.
roverhi is online now  
post #20 of 44 Old 08-12-2019 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 16
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: New to sailing, pick for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
The Tartan is an S&S design so sailing pedigree is designed in. The boats were strongly built and they have been sailed all over including at least 2 that I know were sailed here to Hawaii. The ad says it comes with an electric start outboard but there is no bracket on the back to mount it. Fairly easy to install a bracket but strange that it already hasn't been done. These boats came stock with an Atomic 4 IIRC and looks like the prop is still in place for the inboard. If the A4 is missing they are regularly available used and Moyer marine sells rebuilt and new engines at pretty decent prices if you wanted to go with a low cost inboard. You could also search for a used 10-15 hp diesel which would be an ideal engine for the boat. Other than the engine, the boat appears well maintained. It's pretty sparsely equipped, no roller furling headsail, Depth Sounder is a Dinosaur that could be 40 years old. We took a boat to SoPac with no roller furling and a similar depth sounder. At the asking price there is plenty of room to make some additions and or just bolt on a motor bracket and use the boat as is.
They said that the A4 does run but it has low compression, so I'm thinking it's something I could work on if I bought it and brought back to my place. From what I've seen it's relatively cheap to work on them. They confirmed no roller furling. Where I would mostly be sailing it to start I wouldn't have to worry about depth finder as I know it in and out. I have not sailed on a boat that has no roller furling.
Orionsail is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome