New to sailing, pick for me - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 44 Old 08-12-2019

Re: New to sailing, pick for me

You might be hard pressed to find a boat with roller furling in your price range. Roller furling is nice to have but also expensive, relative to your budget. If you want RF expect to pay a grand or more for a boat equipped with it. It might cost you $2-3k to add it later so would be worth it.

Once upon a time I looked at C25s and a 27. The V-berth on the 27 did not seem big enough for me at 5-10". My Chrysler 22 had a bigger v-berth. If your 6'2", you should go and visit each boat to find which one can you sleep in as that might be the deciding factor.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 Old 08-13-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
You might be hard pressed to find a boat with roller furling in your price range. Roller furling is nice to have but also expensive, relative to your budget. If you want RF expect to pay a grand or more for a boat equipped with it. It might cost you $2-3k to add it later so would be worth it.

Once upon a time I looked at C25s and a 27. The V-berth on the 27 did not seem big enough for me at 5-10". My Chrysler 22 had a bigger v-berth. If your 6'2", you should go and visit each boat to find which one can you sleep in as that might be the deciding factor.
I've gotten in the vberth on one of the Catalina 27s and it is tight for me, I'd probably sleep the opposite way if we were to go with it. My wife is 5'3" and petite so that will help. The tartan apparently has a bigger vberth.
post #23 of 44 Old 08-13-2019

We have cruised extensively for many years on our 26' boat and rarely use the vberth as a place to sleep. The main salon is much more comfortable and leaves the forward quarters free for hanging clothes etc.

post #24 of 44 Old 08-14-2019

The V-berth on the Cat 27 would probably be big enough for you alone (barely) but not really comfortable and not big enough for two adults. I am 6' 2" and slept in the (single) quarter berth on ours. The boats with the dinette interior might have a big enough double bed - have not tried those.
post #25 of 44 Old 08-14-2019

In your first post you mentioned a budget of $3k, and not mind doing a few things to fix it up the way you want. Those small items can really add up. If you can afford more consider buying a boat someone has spent a lot of money on and has all the things you are looking for.

Jordan
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 44 Old 10-11-2019 Thread Starter

Well I figured I would do an update.

I ended up purchasing a 1977 Catalina 27 for 3k. I bought this approximately 60ish miles from me with the intent to motor it down the river, through locks and the canal to my lake. It had been on the hard for a while but fired right up (atomic 4) and had a lot of the updates that I saw other Catalina owners doing. I was concerned about it sitting on the hard so I made sure the hull looked good, no soft spots and I had him run the motor for quite some time. The day we picked it up I had him run the motor for about 45 minutes. After that we took it out into the bay to make sure everything was good under load. Those were my concerns from sitting on the hard. After we had done that I felt comfortable in handing over the money. The guy I bought it from was really good.

We then fuel up and start down the river into the first locks. After about 5 miles it starts stalling. It wouldn't start back up until it sat for about 10 minutes. This then goes on for another 5ish miles, getting at times only a couple hundred yards before it stalls again. Needless to say my wife wasn't thrilled as at times we would float back down the river towards spillways and rocks (threw the anchor several times).

We limp it into a City along the way and were fortunate enough that they have free municipal docks. The boat then stays there for a month... Spent many days traveling back and forth fixing one problem only to run into another. One of the times we stalled we were fortunate enough that a guy came out to check on us and he knew these old motors left and right. He had a rebuilt carb that he was able to put on it as the old one wasn't pushing any gas through. One of the days everything was fixed and we were about to leave. High fiving about completing everything and WAAAAGGGGGHHHHHH. The exhaust pipe in the engine bay just fell from a fitting. It was a bit jury rigged to begin with but seemed solid when we bought it. Met one of the people from the locks who said they thought it was an abandoned boat.

Finally a month later we get underway and it's running good. Go through a lock and after 10 miles it stalls. I think the carb just vapor locked from my own operation because it ran perfect for the rest of the trip.

While on the canal we get buzzed by a large speedboat going about 60mph right next to us (way over the speed limit). The anchor was still in quick deployment mode and from the wake rolled us a bit and dropped it. This sent us into a spin in the middle of the canal. Managed to kill it and steady us. We finally get to the lake and start out. I noticed that they were holding their annual chicken wing run (with many large offshore speed boats) that day. We decided to stay to the north because they were going to the south. Of course the biggest ones decided they were going to stay to the north to flex their speed and like idiots buzz us laughing about 30 feet away. While we were not in any danger it just capped off a stressful day and my wife had had about enough by that point. The rest of the trip across the lake was uneventful (except for one hilarious story with my wife at the tiller). But that was a bit pg13. Anyways, we continue on and our house is only a few miles from the marina. She'd had enough and threatened to jump off and swim home when our house came in to view. Finally got it back to the marina.

We still had a week or two of sailing left but I threw out my back wakeboarding behind our other boat and couldn't raise the mast. So I guess next year I'll have to get a fresh start. Learned a lot about the boat and the motor throughout all this. Thanks for the advice and here's a few pics. Hoping my wife will be able to enjoy the experience of sailing next year.
Attached Thumbnails
cata1.jpg   cata2.jpg   cata3.jpg   cata4.jpg   cata5.jpg  

BarryL likes this.

Last edited by Orionsail; 10-11-2019 at 02:20 PM.
post #27 of 44 Old 10-11-2019

Congrats on the boat. The atomic 4 is a blessing and a curse. They will have issues if you're not diligent, but once you figure them out you don't have to rely on someone else to come along and fix it for you
Orionsail likes this.
post #28 of 44 Old 10-11-2019

Congrats on the new boat! She looks really clean.

Just make sure you don't take your wife out sailing for the first time. Go out in light wind as you get used to the boat.

The Catalinas are a proven design, and easy to sail. Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Orionsail likes this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #29 of 44 Old 10-11-2019

Welcome to boat ownership and Atomic 4 ownership. I never got mine to run reliably. You need to come up with a plan on how to raise the mast in the spring. It is not something to take on when your back is feeling good, you are going to need a crane or some type of lift. Consider bringing a buddy and leaving the wife at home till you have it figured out. Too many stressful days and sailing may end up being your thing, not hers.

Jordan
Oceanside CA
post #30 of 44 Old 10-11-2019

The carbureter probably got crudded up from the tank that hadn't had the crud stirred up regularly. for awhile. You didn mention a filter.
Does the boat have a good fuel filter??

Delivering a new to you boat always seems to be a basket of disasters. Recently took 3 months to get my new to me boat from SF to Oceanside, CA, somthing like 500 miles. First, the weather didn't cooperate with intense lows blowing through on 4-7 day intervals, then
some needed additions to the boat weren=E2=80=99t completed on time, then the mixing elbow on the exhaust clogged up. When we sailed out under the Golden Gate Bridge got hit by high winds that shredded the main and caused rig problems. My crew had to bail when we stopped for repairs because of the all the delays. The last 400 miles were pretty much a snooze as the winds went away completely and nothing else went wrong. Hope your wife has a sense of humor.

When you lay the boat up for the winter fog the engine with a storage oil poured in the intake while the engine is running. A-4s are nearly indestuctible but the valves will hang up if they aren't run regularly. Need to be sure the valve shafts are well oiled so they don't stick open in the spring.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in