New to sailing, pick for me - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 44 Old 10-12-2019
bell ringer

Re: New to sailing, pick for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orionsail View Post

All advice and questions or lectures welcome!!! Preach at me friends.
None of those boat "speak" to you are you wouldn't be asking faceless strangers on a forum to chose for YOU. You either aren't really ready for a boat or need to keep looking.
chef2sail likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 10-12-2019

That's a nice looking boat, congratulations.

I too had some frustrating and demotivating experiences with my 27-foot boat and Atomic 4. A few months ago I moved her to a new marina about 25 miles away, and coming into the new port the engine would only run just a hair above idle. I wasn't even sure I'd make it through the breakwater. A few days later I replaced the coil and upgraded to electronic ignition, and now she starts right up and runs better than ever. That's an inexpensive and simple upgrade that will mostly eliminate ignition issues from your list of problems. The other engine systems are simple and easy to maintain, and when you get everything sorted out she will be very reliable.

If you haven't heard already, Moyer Marine is the go-to source on this planet for Atomic 4 parts, information, and advice. In case you didn't know, you are now an "Afourian".

https://moyermarine.com/

http://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/index.php

Last edited by scratchee; 10-12-2019 at 11:38 AM.
post #33 of 44 Old 10-13-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
Congrats on the new boat! She looks really clean.

Just make sure you don't take your wife out sailing for the first time. Go out in light wind as you get used to the boat.

The Catalinas are a proven design, and easy to sail. Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
Welcome to boat ownership and Atomic 4 ownership. I never got mine to run reliably. You need to come up with a plan on how to raise the mast in the spring. It is not something to take on when your back is feeling good, you are going to need a crane or some type of lift. Consider bringing a buddy and leaving the wife at home till you have it figured out. Too many stressful days and sailing may end up being your thing, not hers.
Thank you! Yeah I'm thinking I need to approach this right in the spring.

Fortunately my marina has a nice setup for raising masts. I winterized it today and it ran like a top again. Of course while I was tarping it I stepped on a board that someone left behind the other boats and put a screw through my sneaker and into my foot. So maybe I just need to get out of this year

post #34 of 44 Old 10-13-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
None of those boat "speak" to you are you wouldn't be asking faceless strangers on a forum to chose for YOU. You either aren't really ready for a boat or need to keep looking.
From the stranger that didn't bother to read any of the thread... Thanks for the input though friend!
post #35 of 44 Old 10-13-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
The carbureter probably got crudded up from the tank that hadn't had the crud stirred up regularly. for awhile. You didn mention a filter.
Does the boat have a good fuel filter??

Delivering a new to you boat always seems to be a basket of disasters. Recently took 3 months to get my new to me boat from SF to Oceanside, CA, somthing like 500 miles. First, the weather didn't cooperate with intense lows blowing through on 4-7 day intervals, then
some needed additions to the boat weren=E2=80=99t completed on time, then the mixing elbow on the exhaust clogged up. When we sailed out under the Golden Gate Bridge got hit by high winds that shredded the main and caused rig problems. My crew had to bail when we stopped for repairs because of the all the delays. The last 400 miles were pretty much a snooze as the winds went away completely and nothing else went wrong. Hope your wife has a sense of humor.

When you lay the boat up for the winter fog the engine with a storage oil poured in the intake while the engine is running. A-4s are nearly indestuctible but the valves will hang up if they aren't run regularly. Need to be sure the valve shafts are well oiled so they don't stick open in the spring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchee View Post
That's a nice looking boat, congratulations.

I too had some frustrating and demotivating experiences with my 27-foot boat and Atomic 4. A few months ago I moved her to a new marina about 25 miles away, and coming into the new port the engine would only run just a hair above idle. I wasn't even sure I'd make it through the breakwater. A few days later I replaced the coil and upgraded to electronic ignition, and now she starts right up and runs better than ever. That's an inexpensive and simple upgrade that will mostly eliminate ignition issues from your list of problems. The other engine systems are simple and easy to maintain, and when you get everything sorted out she will be very reliable.

If you haven't heard already, Moyer Marine is the go-to source on this planet for Atomic 4 parts, information, and advice. In case you didn't know, you are now an "Afourian".

https://moyermarine.com/

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians - Powered by vBulletin
Sounds like quite the adventure Rover. That's exactly what I thought as well. Went through two fuel filters and changed out the fuel pump and pumped out the gas tank, put fresh in.

Thanks, I have been checking things out on Moyer but I did not know I was now an afourian lol.
post #36 of 44 Old 10-14-2019
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orionsail View Post
From the stranger that didn't bother to read any of the thread... Thanks for the input though friend!
Read the first post from the stranger who wrote the question.

My real input is; people who ask unknown people on a forum to choose a boat for them shouldn't have a boat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I gave you a real answer but you don't have the sense apparently to understand that if you need strangers to talk you into a boat for YOU did you shouldn't get one.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #37 of 44 Old 10-14-2019

Congrats on the Catalina. Welcome to the club. I just finished my first season with my new to me Catalina 28, after about twenty years with an Oday 23. I also considered the Catalina 27, but decided to go with the newer model 28. Regardless, the 27 is a great boat; it is only two feet longer than the Catalina 25, but almost twice as big, if you know what I mean. Good choice!

I've joined the International Catalina 28 Association, and it has been a wealth of information. Sailnet is a great place (as you have found already), but C28 Association (which is a Yahoo Users Group) is a way to get fast, accurate and really specialized info on YOUR boat. I strongly recommend that you find the equivalent for the 27.
post #38 of 44 Old 10-14-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Read the first post from the stranger who wrote the question.

My real input is; people who ask unknown people on a forum to choose a boat for them shouldn't have a boat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I gave you a real answer but you don't have the sense apparently to understand that if you need strangers to talk you into a boat for YOU did you shouldn't get one.
News flash, I chose the boat. I simply asked everyone what they would choose, because being new I'm all about utilizing the experience of the people who come before. It's about respect. You should look in to it.
post #39 of 44 Old 10-14-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post
Congrats on the Catalina. Welcome to the club. I just finished my first season with my new to me Catalina 28, after about twenty years with an Oday 23. I also considered the Catalina 27, but decided to go with the newer model 28. Regardless, the 27 is a great boat; it is only two feet longer than the Catalina 25, but almost twice as big, if you know what I mean. Good choice!

I've joined the International Catalina 28 Association, and it has been a wealth of information. Sailnet is a great place (as you have found already), but C28 Association (which is a Yahoo Users Group) is a way to get fast, accurate and really specialized info on YOUR boat. I strongly recommend that you find the equivalent for the 27.
I know exactly what you mean, we looked at a Catalina 25 in our local marina and it just wasn't as big as I was looking for. Spoke to the people selling it after we got back with the 27 and they said I don't blame you, you'll enjoy the 27. The guy I bought the 27 said to look for a yahoo group but I don't use yahoo ever and didn't find it. The 27 was the first of my listings on my original post and I wanted it right from the day we looked at it but I also wanted to be happy and confident in the purchase. Despite the trials we went through I think next season is going to be great.

Thanks for the welcome!
post #40 of 44 Old 10-14-2019

Found it!

https://catalina-27-270-owners-assoc...oups.io/g/main

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in