New to sailing, pick for me - SailNet Community
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 Old 08-09-2019 Thread Starter

New to sailing, pick for me

So I've gotten some time in with the local sailing club and joined. I'm looking for a boat and have looked at several in the 3k price range. I've eliminated some that were just huge projects and seen through the owners eyes as the day they first bought it. Makes you kind of sad. Anywho, I can afford more but I think I need to start somewhere that I can make mistakes on and not worry about, learn to fix without stressing if I'm doing it right and something that I can sell even at 50% and not feel bad about when I get miles and races under my belt and decide what I really want. Lastly, I intend to race in my local club but racing is not my major focus, I'd like to at some point cruise the great lakes which my lake has access to. So that said! I know this is very subjective but tell me your pick and why. Each of the boats listed has little things that I would def want to do to them and are at or just below the 3k mark unless noted.

77 Catalina 27 Catalina smile and stanchions will eventually need some work but a lot of upgrades on the boat and the atomic is in great shape (I have a couple outboards if it garbages out). Hull in good shape interior in great shape everything works

1980 Hunter 27 No head, lots of upgrades but the diesel universal wouldn't start, they assured me it runs well. Wheel, sails in good shape hull in good shape.

1980 Catalina 25 tall rig. Boat is very clean, sails great shape, no roller furler, outboard in great shape, great boat, they want a little more for it though in the mid 4's.

26 Cape Dory, I believe it's around an 80. The gentleman passed away and his kids don't know much about it. Boat is solid, needs outside cleaning. No head. My wife got wierded out by it because some of his personal effects are in it (that is a concern for me she wanted off immediately). Sails good, assuming outboard is good.

The following boats are a ways away but assured in immaculate shape. I can get them to my lake through canals.

1974 Grampian I have not set foot on the boat yet personally, but assured that it is in immaculate shape.

1964 Tartan 27. This is also a ways away, assured that everything is in immaculate shape.

1976 C&C 25 Also a ways away assured everything is great.

So I've looked at several that I've discarded from this list, from free boats to a little more expensive to pie in the ski pricing. The 25 catalina and cape dory are in my own marina (along with a couple free boats, and some of the pie in the sky ones.)

All advice and questions or lectures welcome!!! Preach at me friends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 08-09-2019

Re: New to sailing, pick for me

My vote would be a Catalina 27 . Also if you were to get one with a outboard , it could double for your dingy motor . The Catalina 25 does not have the pretty lines that the 27 has , my friend bought a C 25 and it just did not look right .
oysterman23 likes this.

Westsail 28 , Patricia A
The Following User Says Thank You to Markwesti For This Useful Post:
Orionsail (08-10-2019)
post #3 of 44 Old 08-09-2019
Above 5 knots

Dock

The Cat 25 is a helluva boat, and outboards are easy to replace, and easier to pull off and get repaired. Inboards not so much.

The Catalina 25 has a great association and is easier to find spare sails for. Technically the Cat 25 is pretty easy to trailer, so hauling it out is easyish.

2nd and close 2nd would be the Cat 27.
the 1980 Hunter 27 is a robost boat as well, but if they can't make it run, it doesn't run. What it did the last time doesn't matter. Remember you must get it running to use it, so if they can't you won't be able to in a pinch.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA
The Following User Says Thank You to SailingUphill For This Useful Post:
Orionsail (08-10-2019)

post #4 of 44 Old 08-09-2019

One that I personally would rule out is the one with the diesel engine that doesn't start.

Also, if your wife doesn't like a boat. I would skip it.

I guess that leaves the two catalinas. I would probably go for whichever one was in better condition, unless there was a special reason you wanted one over the other.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arcb For This Useful Post:
Orionsail (08-10-2019)
post #5 of 44 Old 08-09-2019

The Tartan 27 is a big 27' boat that probably comes with an inboard. It's a boat I'd cross oceans in.

The Catalina 27s are like fleas, everywhere. Very steady market for resale, strong class and factory support. Watch for core issues in the foredeck.

Cape Dory built a solid boat but old design and won't be as fast in light air as the fin keel boats but will be a lot steadier and comfortable when the wind pipes up.

C&C had a good reputation and designs seemed to be more oriented to sailing speed.

Not familiar with the other boats.
Orionsail likes this.
post #6 of 44 Old 08-10-2019 Thread Starter

I am leaning more towards the Catalina 27, even though the 25 is in very good shape. Mainly because it's cheaper, I like it better, I'm 6'2" so the extra space is better and one of the free boats in the marina I'm at is a same year catalina 27. I'm thinking that no one is going to take it over the next couple years since it was half full of water until they noticed. Could be a good parts boat. For some reason I like the look of the Tartan 27 as well.
oysterman23 likes this.
post #7 of 44 Old 08-10-2019

The Catalina 27 is a great design with a surprising amount of space inside. If cruising is your priority, that would be a good boat. However if you think you will be racing more than cruising, I would prefer a C&C. They are faster, and better built than Catalinas.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
chef2sail likes this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #8 of 44 Old 08-10-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
The Catalina 27 is a great design with a surprising amount of space inside. If cruising is your priority, that would be a good boat. However if you think you will be racing more than cruising, I would prefer a C&C. They are faster, and better built than Catalinas.

I would be doing probably half and half. I'm very interested in the C&C but the owner goes from answering to not answering the few questions I've had. He said he would check if there was a furler with it and then never got back to me despite me saying I have cash in hand. It's 2 hours away but accessible to the canals. Just wanted to know if there were certain things on it before I made the trip.
post #9 of 44 Old 08-10-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orionsail View Post
I would be doing probably half and half. I'm very interested in the C&C but the owner goes from answering to not answering the few questions I've had. He said he would check if there was a furler with it and then never got back to me despite me saying I have cash in hand. It's 2 hours away but accessible to the canals. Just wanted to know if there were certain things on it before I made the trip.
If he doesnt even know if the boat has a furler he must be selling it for someone else, or he inherited it. If he was a sailor, and he used the boat at all he would know that.

oysterman23 and Orionsail like this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #10 of 44 Old 08-11-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post

Cape Dory built a solid boat but old design and won't be as fast in light air as the fin keel boats but will be a lot steadier and comfortable when the wind pipes up.
I agree with what roverhi has said.

I've chartered two Catalina's, a 30 tall rig, and a 22. I was fortunate to have some fairly stout winds both times. I've been impressed with how easy Catalinas are to sail, and how seaworthy they feel.
Orionsail likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in