6Likes
  • 2 Post By capta
  • 2 Post By outbound
  • 1 Post By hpeer
  • 1 Post By capta

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-02-2019 Thread Starter

Purchasing a live-aboard abroad

I am curious how many of you Americans have purchased your live-aboard in the Med, Carib, or other location and what was the experience like.

I am noticing a significant price difference of basically the same boat (brand/year/model) in the Med vs US west coast. Is it worth the effort if one is planning on sailing the Med for a fair bit of time?

Advise, recommendations are appreciated.

This is my first posting, if I am in the wrong forum, please direct me. Thank you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-02-2019
Master Mariner

Re: Purchasing a live-aboard abroad

If you consider the time and expense of moving a boat a good bit of the way around the world (west coast to the Med), is it economically worth it to you to move it that far when you consider the cost of a boat where you want to use it?
Good deals can be had in many of what I call 'ports of broken dreams' but the reality of commissioning a boat far from your home and possibly more economical parts outlets, can make a good deal much less so.
SanderO and RegisteredUser like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #3 of 10 Old 09-02-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Good deals can be had in many of what I call 'ports of broken dreams' but the reality of commissioning a boat far from your home and possibly more economical parts outlets, can make a good deal much less so.
That is a very interesting way to think about it, and quite appropriate. I'd imagine those ports are everywhere, and the US is certainly not immune. Thank you.

post #4 of 10 Old 09-02-2019

Caveat is whether he is up for immediate full emersion into cruising and if he wants to see both those cruising grounds.
Being far from home has little meaning if the boat is your home. Being far from your usual suppliers and technical support does. That’s one of the biggest jumps that makes cruising different. Pretty much all the time you are in a place where you need to learn where to get things at the best price and learn who are the right people to hire if it’s something you can’t fix yourself. Fortunately there’s usually a network of other cruisers who will clue you into how to get things done.
Also when purchasing a boat if it’s a going concern and you have had a good survey and you have access to the prior owner there maybe little refitting to do. The prior owner can help you with the contact information to get that done.
So the real questions in my mind is does he want to spend the time refitting, does he want to cruise for awhile where the boat is, and does he want to do the passage to his long term cruising grounds.
SanderO and GLausin like this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #5 of 10 Old 09-02-2019

My SAWG here is that buying a boat in the Eastern Caribbean is not much of an issue provided you can get to St Martin. St Martin has a lot of services, speaks English, and has easy duty free import through Four star Cargo in Miami. Just mail your stuff to them and they ship it across quickly and for reasonable cost.
SanderO likes this.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #6 of 10 Old 09-02-2019 Thread Starter

Thanks for that hpeer, I just put that into my database of great gouge!!!
post #7 of 10 Old 09-02-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
My SAWG here is that buying a boat in the Eastern Caribbean is not much of an issue provided you can get to St Martin. St Martin has a lot of services, speaks English, and has easy duty free import through Four star Cargo in Miami. Just mail your stuff to them and they ship it across quickly and for reasonable cost.
Personally, I didn't find St Martin to be any better than most of the islands for service. When I was looking for a shop to replace a genset (about $15k) I got a very poor response from the agencies there. Thankfully, as that was the Irma/Maria year, their lack of professionalism probably saved my boat, if not my life.
I have found that many well reviewed service personnel by cruisers are not necessarily very good at their jobs either. One very popular company in Grenada, when they couldn't convince me to buy a new refer unit and boxes, suggested I tap a relay with a rubber mallet to get the unit to work. Of course, that was absolutely ridiculous and finally, we found a leak in the system ourselves and repaired it for just a few bucks. All their fancy sniffers, gauges and equipment and not one tech had the knowledge and understanding of refrigeration to actually wipe the refer lines with his hand and find an oily concentration at the leak!
There are only a very few service personnel I'd confidently recommend down here after almost 9 years, so basically we do most ourselves.
As for shipping, Tropical ships to every island and they are amazingly inexpensive. 200 feet of 1/2" chain (600#) was around $140 from Riviera Beach and a genset only about $160. We bring in a big barrel of parts every year for less than $100. Shipping is the easy part. Many islands allow boat parts (not Grenada) in duty free with little or no hassle.
SanderO likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #8 of 10 Old 09-02-2019

Note I did not make any comment about service providers.

I’m sure Tropical is great for big items. Not sure how they work for gadgets you need in a hurry.

And Grenada Customs is a PITA at least.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #9 of 10 Old 09-02-2019

Fairly close..

Look at available boat in sea of cortez.
Lots of folks moving on to something else
San carlos and la paz
post #10 of 10 Old 4 Weeks Ago

The answer depends on yourself and your skills.
I did it twice in St Maarten and Tortola in the Caribbean sea.
Yes, you can get good deals.... if you know how to negotiate.
Yes, you can fix, repair and rebuild your boat and for better price, i did it in St Maarten, but you need to have good technical understanding to make sure that you get the right people and supervise them.
But I guess all of it applies to the US too.

So, bottom line, the answer is yes but verify in advance what you need and where to do it. NOT all places are the same.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in