47 Robert Perry in Ensenada - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

47 Robert Perry in Ensenada

We are very interested in this 47 Robert Perry. The story from the broker is this: The owners want to sell because wifey got pregnant. Okay, we can buy that. So, we start to get serious about going down to look at it--just a long day trip for us from Ventura unless we want to have her hauled out. Recent survey from May 2019 but the boat was not hauled out. The catch is this: the owners aren't available. They're off traveling. So, for liability reasons the broker can't move the boat to the haul out, we can't either. We'd have to hire a captain? If this couple is strapped for money, parking it in Ensenada while selling it, why are they traveling and not available to show the boat and take it to haul out and go for a sea trial if it gets to that point. Sounds sketchy. What is the consensus of all you experts out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 1 Week Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 47 Robert Perry in Ensenada

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarpers View Post
We are very interested in this 47 Robert Perry. The story from the broker is this: The owners want to sell because wifey got pregnant. Okay, we can buy that. So, we start to get serious about going down to look at it--just a long day trip for us from Ventura unless we want to have her hauled out. Recent survey from May 2019 but the boat was not hauled out. The catch is this: the owners aren't available. They're off traveling. So, for liability reasons the broker can't move the boat to the haul out, we can't either. We'd have to hire a captain? If this couple is strapped for money, parking it in Ensenada while selling it, why are they traveling and not available to show the boat and take it to haul out and go for a sea trial if it gets to that point. Sounds sketchy. What is the consensus of all you experts out there?
Look elsewhere. It may stay available until they have the time to do the right thing.
zeehag likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #3 of 22 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Thanks--that's my gut feeling also.

post #4 of 22 Old 1 Week Ago
al brazzi

Are you just looking for the first time at this Boat? You seem to be skipping a few steps, nobody hauls the Boat on first look, you look, everything you see looks good, you discuss an offer contingent with haul and acceptable survey, then the purchasing details. For all this to happen on the first trip is expecting too much. Forgive me if I missed something in your question.
post #5 of 22 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, this would be our first look at it--been talking for over two weeks. Also, this would be our first purchase of a boat that's not in American waters. So many details about the purchase are intimidating. But, the boat is what we're looking for at a price we can manage. Just to ease our angst we'll have to go look even if we don't buy. We have the survey that was done in May of 2019, talked to the surveyor himself, who confirmed the boat is sound in all areas he inspected but could not vouch for the hull. We will take your feedback as an important point in our expectations. Thank you again for the reality check.
post #6 of 22 Old 1 Week Ago

steel hull?

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #7 of 22 Old 6 Days Ago
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

are there pictures of boat...

formosa 41, cruising tropics

post #8 of 22 Old 6 Days Ago

Dock

The red flag to me is the partial survey. It is curious that they recently had it surveyed but not hauled out. That survey will be interesting but not definitive. That they are off traveling may just say they're not interested in the boat anymore and want the broker to do the work.

I'd say make your walk through and decide if you want to make an offer contingent on the haul out.
post #9 of 22 Old 6 Days Ago
Picnic Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by albrazzi View Post
Are you just looking for the first time at this Boat? You seem to be skipping a few steps, nobody hauls the Boat on first look, you look, everything you see looks good, you discuss an offer contingent with haul and acceptable survey, then the purchasing details. For all this to happen on the first trip is expecting too much. Forgive me if I missed something in your question.
+1

I think also you might be reading too much into it. Sure the owners might be lazy. You are not buying them though, you're buying the boat....

Where one man sees a problem, another sees an opportunity.

Has it occurred to you that if they are too busy/couldn't be bothered to haul her, it might also mean they might be open to a quick sale and a low offer to big rid of the responsibility?

Have a look at her, make an offer subject to an out of haul survey and if you have to pay to have a captain move it price that into your offer.
SanderO and PhilCarlson like this.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

post #10 of 22 Old 3 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarpers View Post
We are very interested in this 47 Robert Perry. The story from the broker is this: The owners want to sell because wifey got pregnant.......The catch is this: the owners aren't available. They're off traveling. So, for liability reasons the broker can't move the boat to the haul out, we can't either.
I think a lot of boats get put on the market because of a major life change in the owner's life. In the later end of life, lots of boats get put on the market because the owner gets too old to sail it. I imagine lots of owners also sell because it doesn't fit with their young growing family lifestyle.

I can see a lot of situations in which a young mother to be would say to her husband, "Honey, would you please sell that boat. We don't have time to do anything with it, and I'm not going to feel like sailing with the baby. We can always get a boat later when the kids are older".

Then they get caught up in the excitement of the baby, fixing up the nursery, traveling to visit relatives, before the baby comes. The boat becomes the least important thing in their life, at that point.

Before I got married, I rode my vintage motorcycle on long trips, and did a lot of backpacking. The motorcycle needed some work done on it and money was needed for the kids. The motorcycle sat in the garage for years. I bought the largest family cabin tent I've ever owned, and backpacking trips became car camping trips, at state parks, in whatever camping site was closest to the playground and the shower house.

You could find yourself in a great bargain and negotiating position. I can almost hear my wife saying, "Honey, just take the man's offer. We don't have time for you to be going back and forth to the marina to deal with that boat. And you still haven't painted the nursery like you said you would".

I'd do my own examination of the boat, and make a lowball offer contingent on a satisfactory completion of the survey upon haul out.
hpeer and RegisteredUser like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in