Advertisement

post #12 of 36 Old 10-01-2019
Master Mariner

Re: Tips on buying from a broker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malletor View Post
It is based on its worth.
Worth what to whom?
Someone who has raised their kids on a boat and has 20 years of great memories on their boat feels his boat has a lot of worth that an unemotional potential purchaser doesn't. It just isn't about money, though perhaps it should be.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #13 of 36 Old 10-01-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drinky Crow View Post
Except he can't legally work that side of the line.

Uhh.....we're gonna' pass.
I take it you didn't like what you saw in person?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

post #14 of 36 Old 10-01-2019

I'm always surprised at the number of people, perhaps none here, that are more interested in getting a good deal than the boat they really want. Today, it is so much easier to make sure you don't pay too much. You can start with Yachtworld or any of the other great sites. If you like a Tartan 37 search on it on a number of sites. There are geographic pricing differences, but again, it is easy to find the cost of shipping the boat. If you use a broker, or even use the seller broker you can look up the actual transaction prices of the model you are interested in. Post here or another sailing forum to find a local surveyor (I'd recommend against using a broker recommended surveyor for obvious reasons). You may not get a great price, as ultimately, the seller of your dream boat may not give you that, but it is fairly easy with a little research to get the boat of your dreams for a fair price.
post #15 of 36 Old 10-01-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
I take it you didn't like what you saw in person?

Let's just say I'd be further ahead paying to have any one of these https://www.kijiji.ca/b-sailboat/ont...27/k0c328l9004 delivered to the coast.
post #16 of 36 Old 10-02-2019

Quote:
Let's just say I'd be further ahead paying to have any one of these https://www.kijiji.ca/b-sailboat/ont...27/k0c328l9004 delivered to the coast.
Really? What does it cost to ship a 27ft keelboat across the country? Plus stepping the mast and splashing the boat? Not to mention flying across the country to look at boats?

Hard to believe it is worthwhile on such a low value boat.

jephotog likes this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #17 of 36 Old 10-02-2019

Quote:
I agree it seemed high for a 27 footer even if it is a C&C. But I also usually go for a boat "needing a little TLC." That boat looks to be in Cream Puff condition. I did not look closely at the comparison boats but if they are missing a bimini or roller furling, those might be a $6k upgrade. Considering the transaction cost on buying a boat on the other side of the country might add $4k to the transaction cost, you should at least look at the local boat and offer less, see what happens.

You might also be able to find a 30 or larger foot boat in the higher price range if you can afford the original asking price.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 36 Old 10-02-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
Really?
So we stopped in Tswassen for a meal on the way back and I worked up on a napkin that, less sails, it would cost in the neighbourhood of 20K to get that boat ready for the race course.
post #19 of 36 Old 10-02-2019

Quote:
So we stopped in Tswassen for a meal on the way back and I worked up on a napkin that, less sails, it would cost in the neighbourhood of 20K to get that boat ready for the race course.
You never mentioned racing.

If you want to race seriously buy a boat equipped for it. Racing sails and rigging is/are expensive. Is your goal to race this boat only or also day sail and cruise. Unless you have room at home to store your large quiver of sails it is hard to race and cruise a small boat. Storing 6 extra sails on a 27 foot boat makes it hard to find a place to sleep.

For comparison on price point I looked at the some of the other boats on Kijiji, they had outboards or Atomic 4s. I would value a diesel upgrade at at least $3k.
SchockT likes this.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
post #20 of 36 Old 10-02-2019
Freedom isn't free

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
Considering the transaction cost on buying a boat on the other side of the country might add $4k to the transaction cost, you should at least look at the local boat and offer less, see what happens.
Dang Jephotog, word.
Listen folks he has lived this. PA to CA trailing his back.

Nothing but respect man.

Also I'm following this thread closely, as I too am looking at closing on a C&C (32) with a local broker. They are tempting boats.
jephotog likes this.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA

Last edited by SailingUphill; 10-02-2019 at 12:26 PM. Reason: remove foul language

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in