Tips on buying from a broker - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 36 Old 10-02-2019

Re: Tips on buying from a broker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingUphill View Post
Also I'm following this thread closely, as I too am looking at closing on a C&C (32) with a local broker. They are tempting boats.
Knowing how you sail. A 32 footer would be a game changer. Built in head, standing head room, it's a small condo on the water. Good luck in your search.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 Old 10-02-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drinky Crow View Post
So we stopped in Tswassen for a meal on the way back and I worked up on a napkin that, less sails, it would cost in the neighbourhood of 20K to get that boat ready for the race course.
Ok so you are looking for a race boat. How seriously were you planning to race a C&C 27 around here? Are the boats in Ontatario already race-prepped, or are you going to be doing the same work to them after you ship them across country?

The boat you looked at in Pt Roberts looks like a nice entry level cruising boat that is well equipped for cruising. I'm sure it could be raced in Div 7 around here without having to do a whole lot of work to it. I am not sure what you would spend $20k on in terms of race-prep besides sails and a low drag prop.

I assume you have looked at Maritime Diva?
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van...953386830.html

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #23 of 36 Old 10-02-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
Ok so you are looking for a race boat. How seriously were you planning to race a C&C 27 around here?
My intention is to set the boat up for single/short handing and do all the point-to-point/distance races on the calender.
Beer cans if crew available.

Quote:
Are the boats in Ontatario already race-prepped, or are you going to be doing the same work to them after you ship them across country?

The boat you looked at in Pt Roberts looks like a nice entry level cruising boat that is well equipped for cruising. around here without having to do a whole lot of work to it. I am not sure what you would spend $20k on in terms of race-prep besides sails and a low drag prop.
Those boats in Ont have the advatage of only being used 4-5 months of the year and in fresh water.
They all come better equiped than the local example making them a better platform to start out with but of course any 35yr old boats gonna' need something.

Not saying that's my plan and I ain't flyin' anywhere. I'd simply find a good surveyor and tell him "be brutal".
If boat's worthy hire the wrap and have it shipped.

In deference to the broker I'm not going into any more detail about the one here unless you remove the link to it from your quote so someone doesn't accidentally come across it in a google search.

Quote:
I'm sure it could be raced in Div 7
There's a Div 7? The Niagara I crew on rates same as C&C we're in Div 4.

Quote:
I assume you have looked at Maritime Diva?
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van...953386830.html
Nope. Too big. I got a 27' berth at Civic boats gotta' fit there.
Besides, I ain't interested in the dinky main huge genoa set up been there done that with my SJ24.

post #24 of 36 Old 10-03-2019

Quote:
My intention is to set the boat up for single/short handing and do all the point-to-point/distance races on the calender.

Those boats in Ont have the advatage of only being used 4-5 months of the year and in fresh water.

They all come better equiped than the local example making them a better platform to start out with but of course any 35yr old boats gonna' need something.

Not saying that's my plan and I ain't flyin' anywhere. I'd simply find a good surveyor and tell him "be brutal".

In deference to the broker I'm not going into any more detail about the one here unless you remove the link to it from your quote so someone doesn't accidentally come across it in a google search.

There's a Div 7? The Niagara I crew on rates same as C&C we're in Div 4.

Nope. Too big. I got a 27' berth at Civic boats gotta' fit there.

Besides, I ain't interested in the dinky main huge genoa set up been there done that with my SJ24.
For many years Div 7 has been the home for the proverbial 4ksbs...boats that rate in the 180-200+ range. In recent years it has been a very active division. DVYC regatta had div 7 this year even though there was no div 5 or 6. I guess the divisions are finally getting reorganized with the fleet sizes dwindling as they are.

I can see why you want to get away from the old high aspect masthead rigs if you are planning to race single handed.

So I removed the link...do tell...what was wrong with the Pt Bob boat?

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #25 of 36 Old 10-06-2019 Thread Starter

Large gouge in gel down to roving - off colour repair too thick cracking - non-skid worn smooth cockpit sole and port seat - cutless bearing worn - pintle/gudgeons sloppy - no backstay purchase - no traveler purchase - paint on mast lifted from corrosion wherever stainless attached - wire-to-rope halyards - speed/depth one not working - original VHF - original standing rigging - original sails(?!) and grab rails so weathered they'd prolly crumble in your hand if used as intended.

But the drip pan under engine was spotless so there's that.
post #26 of 36 Old 10-06-2019

Quote:

I have thought about buying a boat from afar using a surveyor. Unless the boat is super special or unique it does not seem worth the hassle. There has to be enough race worthy boats on the West Coast to not make it worth the hassle of shopping 1000+ miles away.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 36 Old 10-07-2019

I'm struggling to understand what the OP is looking to get out of this discussion. He seems knowledgeable and basically dismisses any suggestions offered. Fine. But please don't waste our time.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #28 of 36 Old 10-07-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
I have thought about buying a boat from afar using a surveyor. Unless the boat is super special or unique it does not seem worth the hassle.
True enough. Doubt I could justify it in the end.

Quote:
There has to be enough race worthy boats on the West Coast to not make it worth the hassle of shopping 1000+ miles away.
All the cool boats are east of the Rockies! So far....
post #29 of 36 Old 10-07-2019

'But please don't waste our time.'

I thought this was the whole point.
post #30 of 36 Old 10-07-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
I'm struggling to understand what the OP is looking to get out of this discussion. He seems knowledgeable and basically dismisses any suggestions offered. Fine. But please don't waste our time.
It's ironic that you took the time to post this! [emoji6]

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in