Purchasing boat in Tortola - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Purchasing boat in Tortola

We are purchasing our first live aboard in Tortola. Has anyone had any experience with surveyors in this area. Recommendations much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: Purchasing boat in Tortola

I've bought and sold several boats in the BVI in the past and there are indeed some big differences in surveyors and whether you want an insurance survey, a seller's survey or a buyer's survey. In addition, it makes a difference whether you are buying a monohull or a multihull and whether the boat is an ex-charter boat. Is the boat in Road Town or on Virgin Gorda or in Nanny Cay? Is cost a factor, and if it is would you accept a non-accredited but experienced boat surveyor?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thank you for responding so quickly. It is a 39í Leopard coming out of charter with Moorings which I believe is in Road Town. We have not yet seen the boat in person but will be traveling there in the next few weeks. We will need to have a survey for insurance.

post #4 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago

In that case I can recommend Michael Hirst and Steve Davis for the survey at http://www.hirstmarine.com . I'll forward you the e-mails as a PM and you can can mention "Zanshin" and they'll recognize the name.

p.m Sent

Last edited by Zanshin; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:24 PM. Reason: Added Text
post #5 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thank you! I appreciate your advice👍
post #6 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thank you Subaqua for your PM! For some reason the forum wonít let me reply to PM, maybe because Iím a new user. hope to spend our winter in BVI.
post #7 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Catamarans are the best

Location: North Dakota -the land of ice and snow and 650,000 other people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish w View Post
Thank you Subaqua for your PM! For some reason the forum wonít let me reply to PM, maybe because Iím a new user. hope to spend our winter in BVI.
Ahh yes.. you need a minimum of posts before you can message. There's a lot of places to go from the BVI.. don't limit yourself. We'll be coming through there sometime.. maybe nearer end of January or February.
Just a FYI There's a good FB group Leopard L38 & L39 Catamaran Owners Group too.

Fred
Dakota Dream
post #8 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thanks for the info!
post #9 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Zan seems straight up and I think would steer you right. However, I once had a boat surveyed in STT by a local and drew the conclusion, if I ever did it again, I'd bear the cost of flying in a local from the States. He was accredited by one of the agencies too, but that often doesn't mean much. In the grand scheme of things, a plane ticket, a couple of meals and a night or two in a hotel isn't as much as it sounds, given the likely purchase amount. I also like the idea that there is no way the seller and the surveyor have other business relationships or there is any concern they need to get along in the same boating community.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #10 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thanks for the information!

Tags
boat purchase , catamaran , surveyer

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in