Considering Pearson 36-2 CB on Lake Michigan - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 11-04-2019 Thread Starter
Great Lakes Sailor

Considering Pearson 36-2 CB on Lake Michigan

Ahoy! I am still looking for the right boat for racing buoys and cruising. I was seriously considering a Catalina 38 until I realized it is a shoal draft (not good for racing). I'm surprised at how many shoal drafts there are in Lake Michigan. We are in Chicago and won't go any further than Mackinaw, if even that far.

I'm looking for opinions on a 1988 Pearson 36-2 Centerboard. Overall, the boat is well maintained and updated, and I will get a survey if we go forward. Any thoughts or experiences with one? Or just thoughts on CBs in general?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-04-2019
Learning the HARD way...

Re: Considering Pearson 36-2 CB on Lake Michigan

Search reveals the following threads, several of which I have probably weighed in on;
I'll only add that, while I love the boat, I think that the engine access (under the galley sink) sucks.
contrarian and Jenksie like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to eherlihy For This Useful Post:
Jenksie (11-04-2019)
post #3 of 11 Old 11-04-2019
Learning the HARD way...

Also; once you have spent time on a boat with an integral swim platform or walk through transom you won't look at any boat without one. The Pearson 36-2 does not offer this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #4 of 11 Old 11-04-2019

You are expecting to race? Look at the PHRF ratings for the boats you’re considering.
Catalina 38 SD: 123 Pearson 36 II CB: 141 Neither is quick, if you’re looking to race, but the Catalina would be a LOT quicker (almost 20 seconds a mile) than the Pearson. Perhaps they’re being sold because they are both so slow. A Tartan 10 rates 126 - almost the same as the Catalina, and it’s five feet shorter. Widening your search might be advisable. This Sabre 36 is a nice boat, and rates 120. https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...dard%20listing
We race and cruise a J/36, which rates 87. There are other boats out there. Check them out.
The Following User Says Thank You to paulk For This Useful Post:
Jenksie (11-05-2019)
post #5 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Great Lakes Sailor

Thanks for your replies!

Yes, Paulk, I sure like that Sabre. I looked at it last month. They are asking $20k over my budget. Even if they accepted a low-ball, I'd have no money for repairs. And it needs at least $5k of work (don't they all?).

I have $50k max. I'm looking at $40-45k boats to leave room for upgrades/sails such (they ALL need something). I love to race and my husband wants second-house comfort. It's not easy to find--I keep finding full-on cruisers.

Back to the 36-2. It has good pedigree, has been well maintained (fussed over) and has a new Dacron main...but no spinnaker pole (sigh). I'm really flummoxed by the CB. I initially wrote it off because of the centerboard. Maybe I was right. But it sure is a nice boat.

Here's the listing: https://www.larsenmarine.com/listings/1988-pearson-36/#

Last edited by Jenksie; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:44 PM. Reason: added info
post #6 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenksie View Post
Thanks for your replies!

Yes, Paulk, I sure like that Sabre. I looked at it last month. They are asking $20k over my budget. Even if they accepted a low-ball, I'd have no money for repairs. And it needs at least $5k of work (don't they all?).

I have $50k max. I'm looking at $40-45k boats to leave room for upgrades/sails such (they ALL need something). I love to race and my husband wants second-house comfort. It's not easy to find--I keep fin&ding full-on cruisers.

Back to the 36-2. It has good pedigree, has been well maintained (fussed over) and has a new Dacron main...but no spinnaker pole (sigh). I'm really flummoxed by the CB. I initially wrote it off because of the centerboard. Maybe I was right. But it sure is a nice boat.

Here's the listing: https://www.larsenmarine.com/listings/1988-pearson-36/#
I agree with Paulk

When I bought Haleakula years ago I wanted a boat which had racing charcterteristics but was also a comfortable boat to cruise 2-4 weeks at a time on.

She’s A 35 C&C MKIII k/c with a PHRF of 123- 127. The choices I narrowed it to were her and a Sabre 36. For their size quick and comfortable.

Yes the J was faster, but spartan comparatively. The Tartan 37 was a close third but not quite the speed.

All three of these boats were very traditional IOC builds. Lots of warm teak/ mahogany/ cherry below. No IKEA or laminated woods. Even the head was teak in Haleakula

As far as a centerboard , it Haleakulas secret weapon. Drops to 7 and allows us to reef at 20 vs 17 and point much higher upwind than comporBle boats.
The J better and Sabre equal.

It also had a Yanmar ...my preferred engine.

Not all centerboard are equal either.

All boats are trade offs. The Cat 38 has great room below so comfortable. For a 38 foot boat ...average PHRF. Good equipment. Mass produced so wood details are not there.

My suggestion...narrow to three boats/ models you like...find and look at them...buy the one in best condition
Jenksie likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #7 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago

This boat would be fun around the buoys: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...dard%20listing
It rates around 84 PHRF, which is pretty quick. Don’t know how cushy it needs to be below, but there’s plenty of wood to make it cozy. Good engine access. Seems well-equipped, and seller is apparently eager for you to have it.
Jenksie likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to paulk For This Useful Post:
Jenksie (4 Weeks Ago)
post #8 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Great Lakes Sailor

Wow! Paulk, that's a cool looking boat. Thanks! I'll float it by the mister. ha.
post #9 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
This boat would be fun around the buoys: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...dard%20listing
It rates around 84 PHRF, which is pretty quick. Don’t know how cushy it needs to be below, but there’s plenty of wood to make it cozy. Good engine access. Seems well-equipped, and seller is apparently eager for you to have it.
Very quick. Farrs are real racers. Not sure about cruising however with water at 20 gallons capacity and holding at 8 gallons. The settees look pretty uncomfortable benches.

3 spreader , good suite of sails, traveler taking up lots of room in the cockpit. ....racer for sure

All boats will have good and questionable characteristics. This Farr is definitely racer first....vs a racer/ cruiser, Just my humble opinion

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
The Following User Says Thank You to chef2sail For This Useful Post:
CLOSECALL (4 Weeks Ago)
post #10 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Very quick. Farrs are real racers. Not sure about cruising however with water at 20 gallons capacity and holding at 8 gallons. The settees look pretty uncomfortable benches.

3 spreader , good suite of sails, traveler taking up lots of room in the cockpit. ....racer for sure

All boats will have good and questionable characteristics. This Farr is definitely racer first....vs a racer/ cruiser, Just my humble opinion
You can usually figure out ways to increase tankage and get new cushions. If a boat isn’t fun to sail, why bother? Besides, aren’t those lakes fresh water? You can use a bucket to get all you want, whenever. The price looks to be very negotiable. There’s a nav station, a galley, a head, a forward cabin, and a nicely finished main cabin that has proper handholds and joinery. No centerboard to worry about breaking (the board or the pennant) and a good diesel engine. I’d be tempted, but we have seven boats already. Eight if you include the pond yacht.

Last edited by paulk; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:38 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in