Outboards - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 85 Old 12-29-2019

Re: Outboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telesail View Post
.....dinghy-ing round from Caneel Bay to Cruz Bay to check in to the USVI.....
I've never really understood this practice. Apparently, you didn't even want to take your own boat into Cruz? Why not just anchor or moor in one of the other beautiful harbors/bays and take a cab into town to clear in? Some tell me that's not compliant, but I don't understand why anchoring in Canneel and taking the dinghy over is any different.

Anyway, the new CBP Roam app is now the way to go for US citizens. No appearance at all. Yay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 85 Old 12-29-2019 Thread Starter

Yup. Itís a mr. funnel. Got the next size up. Trick is to not fill past a third up. Also wipe out then clean after use. Had an in line filter in my gas line when I was using 2 strokes. Now it says you canít use them with EFI engines. Why? Anything you can use?
Havenít been to USVI nor BVI for a couple of years. Like windwards more than leewards. Probably get up as far as St.Martin or Antigua but likely no farther this year. Found Caneel quieter but no shopping so went back and forth.
Cabs suck. Rent a car and get a bunch done.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #23 of 85 Old 12-29-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
....Found Caneel quieter but no shopping so went back and forth.
Cabs suck. Rent a car and get a bunch done.
Other than the resort, there is nothing in Caneel and it's exposed. I would pick any one of the north shore Bays, particularly Maho/Francis. What sucks about the Cabs? You just stand on the road nearest the Bay and wave one down. Most I've ever waited was 15 mins and as little at one min. From Cruz, there is a lot of them waiting to take you back. What would you get done with a rental car on St John anyway?

Funny story, in Maho Bay, St John, with friends aboard. We want to cab to Cruz, so we beach the dink and I tell them we just wait for an open air taxi to pass. They are both serious Type A personalities and, after only 5 mins, they are getting ants in their pants. I assure them one will come soon. She gets on her smart phone, googles St John taxi and starts dialing up. A cab company answers and she yells to me to ask where we are. I say adjacent to the parking lot on Francis Bay. The cab company tells her, they never heard of it. This goes back and forth a few times, before she realizes she called a cab in St John Newfoundland. One comes by seconds after she hangs up.
capta and danvon like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #24 of 85 Old 12-29-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
she realizes she called a cab in St John Newfoundland. One comes by seconds after she hangs up.
Great story! Thanks. Both the wife & I got a good laugh out of it.
Minnewaska likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #25 of 85 Old 12-29-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I've never really understood this practice. Apparently, you didn't even want to take your own boat into Cruz? Why not just anchor or moor in one of the other beautiful harbors/bays and take a cab into town to clear in? Some tell me that's not compliant, but I don't understand why anchoring in Canneel and taking the dinghy over is any different.

Anyway, the new CBP Roam app is now the way to go for US citizens. No appearance at all. Yay.
In Metis, we used to anchor in Cruz Bay (before I had an e-outboard) but Pleione draws 8 1/2 feet and so we turn into Cruz and check to see if there is anyone in the one spot we can fit - if that is full, it seems a long way to go to Maho or Francis.

Agree that CBP app is is wonderful - and it works for non-US citizens as well. However, last time in USVI, they had not yet received the training and so we had to show up in person.

Hope we will run into you in the Islands if you come down again since we missed you last time we crossed over - have to be there to bring Metis back to New England as she comes out of charter this May. How time flies.
post #26 of 85 Old 12-29-2019 Thread Starter

Like to scare the donkeys.

Been there enough donít need any land sightseeing. So just go in for chores. Actually have friends who live there. May borrow one of their cars.

Other than the national park doesnít hold the attraction it once did.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #27 of 85 Old 12-29-2019

After my Honda BP2 gas four stroke went to the bottom of the harbor during Hurricane Sandy. I bought an Electric Paddle outboard which worked well. At eight pounds I could lift it with one hand while sitting in the dingy. I like to row so I used it only for those days when the wind really started blowing. Recently purchased an Electric Carry outboard from the same company. A little more powerful and had a Lithium battery. It's a little heavier at 16 pounds but, still manageable compared to the 35 pound Honda. Charge both batteries via a small 12 volt inverter off the solar panels. No more oil or gas needed and quiet.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

post #28 of 85 Old 12-29-2019

I have a 1988 Evinrude 2-cylinder 2-stroke. Smooth, starts on one pull (rarely two if the air is cold & I haven't run it in awhile). My boat is only 23 ft (and 45 yrs old) so it's my auxiliary and so I want it to be reliable. I love the motor but do have to remind myself that it's a 30 yr old motor all original. I burn so little gas (rarely 3 or more gal/yr) that mixing oil isn't an issue.

I run the carb dry after each use (although I used to be negligent on that), if I store it (rarely) I just spray fogging oil into the sparkplug holes, turn it over and replace them (new sparkplugs only after the first running after the fogging to burn the oil).
SanderO and RegisteredUser like this.
post #29 of 85 Old 12-29-2019

Maybe somebody who was bored or interested has made a graph of weight comparing range of elec to 4s at x speeds....

Its about the range...that limitation
post #30 of 85 Old 12-29-2019

PS & disclaimer: I also have a 23 ft CC fishing boat (Regulator) for the Gulf. It has a 4-stroke (4.2 liter, V6, fuel injection) and it's perfect. Starts like a car.

Depends on the application!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in