Spend my money - Page 7 - SailNet Community
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 79 Old 01-12-2020 Thread Starter

Dock
Re: Spend my money

Yes the Contest still had all the personal possessions aboard. There was no attempt to make the boat presentable.

No matter where you go, ....
B&B Spindrift 11N
Past Adventures:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 79 Old 01-12-2020 Thread Starter

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Ask yourself...
How much time do you plan to spend in the head
Depends on the size of the hot water tank. Seriously though that composting toilet was huge. You couldn't stand in front of the sink. Probably should bring this up in one of the composting threads but I wonder how they would be affected by showering in the same space?

B&B Spindrift 11N
Past Adventures:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 79 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Dock

I'm planning on taking a look at an 85 Sabre 36, 93 Caliber 35, and a 89 J Boats 34c this weekend. Any feedback in general or know issues with these models would be appreciated.

thanks,
Hugh

B&B Spindrift 11N
Past Adventures:

post #64 of 79 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Buy your last boat first. You will save a fortune and it will be ready to circumnavigate when you are and you will know it intimately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I completely agree with this ^^^^. When one buys any used boat, they start dumping money into it quickly. Best you not have to start over so quickly. Going from competent dinghy sailing to a 30 something foot boat is no big deal, especially after a little training.

p.s. The OP will lose their shirt on any boat they buy. No way to avoid. Even those that resell in the vicinity of what they pay, which is rare enough, they rarely consider all the maintenance, upgrades, etc. Then again, I'd rather use my shirt than have it just sit on the shelf.
If it's not too late, the above posts are the ones you should be paying attention to - not the ones encouraging your intermediate plans. If your intentions really are true to your stated plans, then you are making a mistake buying an "in-between boat". You are just throwing money away that won't be available when you are cruising, and likely delaying your planned cruising start date significantly, if not indefinitely. I'm speaking from experience of owning 3 cruising boats, and I suspect boatpoker and Minnewaska are speaking from at least that much experience each. They know the score, and speak the truth.

Mark
SanderO and bajaking like this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #65 of 79 Old 4 Weeks Ago
S/V Interlude, PSC31

Just got back from boat and making sure she is tucked in well for winter. Found myself chatting with the fellow that owns a BCC at our marina and was reminded of their striking good looks and top notch construction. Not my cup of tea as clearly we developed eyes for our PSC 31 but not too dissimilar as both very traditional in looks and uber good construction and actually BCC's are still made. I know this is totally different from everything you have been considering and is frankly no where close by but given your budget and what has been done to this boat at least thought you would enjoy looking at what $59k can get ya. Real eye candy!

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...er-28-3561717/

.....oh as said before, if you can get a boat that has already had all the work done and also own forever you will ALWAYS make out better. The hard part is finding out what that boat is.
ThereYouAre likes this.
post #66 of 79 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I definitely agree with not moving from boat to boat if you have a good feeling for where you want to end up. You just lose a lot of time and money fitting out and learning a boat only to sell it and start the process over.

So how do you find the so called "last boat"? I suppose you need to produce a wish list of what you want to have, ignore the budget at first. The look for boats that meet your wish list. I would expect to do an "electronics" upgrade for almost any boat you buy used that's not had an electronics upgrade for a decade or more. N2K allows you to insert new gear onto the back bone in the same locations... which presumably are correct. Other aged equipment can be replaced as needed over time if it is serviceable.. things such as AP, hatches and ports, head, pumps, batteries, lighting, windlass and ground tackle, running rigging, (even standing rigging), sails, canvas, cushions, deck hardware, winches and so on. If the hull, keel and rudder, engine, and spars are in good shape the boat has good bones and you can renew it successfully.

LOA, LWL, draft, accommodation plan, stowage, tankage, deck layout, you are stuck with so these need to work for you. And of course "style". There are boats of all ages and designs which are suitable and have done the job. But not every sailor will have the same needs.

++++

I knew nothing about this in any practical way from experience. I was fortunate to but a boat which lent itself to fitting out for living aboard and offshore passages and I spend 5 years doing the fitting out which was mostly ADDING gear not changing or upgrading. Over the 3 decade plus period I have owned the boat I have upgraded and replaced almost everything not unexpected of course. But the bones remained and were excellent and experience proved that to be the case. For me it meant single and short handed sailing. I don't know if fit myself to the boat or I made it fit to me... or a little of both. But I know that the Contest36s worked out great for me and how I sail. At times I wax about having a larger boat with more of everything... and then think... that comes with a price literally and figuratively.

You'll find the right boat if you understand what you are looking for and what you need.

++++++

Edit:
Google and see if you find the boat you're interested in having done a similar "duty". This is something you may be able to do now with so many people having boat blogs and YT channels. I do know of one Contest36s out there right now and I saw Scott do all manner of upgrades and refits. He's a member here and his experience would be valuable for someone consider a 36s.

You should definitely reach out to owners of model you are thinking about who have done the type of sailing you are contemplating. Most owner love to talk about their boats and what they have to say beats any broker's pitch or listing they publish.
hpeer and ThereYouAre like this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Last edited by SanderO; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:05 AM.
post #67 of 79 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Alright, I'd like you buy your forever boat, but what are you going to be doing with the boat?
post #68 of 79 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Alright, I'd like you buy your forever boat, but what are you going to be doing with the boat?
post #69 of 79 Old 4 Weeks Ago
S/V Interlude, PSC31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloysius Ochiamu View Post

The OP's first post described what he hoped to do and what he hoped to get. Go back to that and your question will be answered! Easy to forget the original purpose for a thread after a few pages.
post #70 of 79 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Dock

I looked at three boats this weekend.

The first was a Sabre 36 .
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985/sabre-36-3576794/

I liked the boat overall and the damaged sole didn't bother me much as it supposedly happened before the current owner bought the boat 30 years ago. However I did find some wet spots on the port settee indicating water was leaking into the boat. The broker mentioned that someone else had made an offer so I doubt this one will still be on the market when I finally decide on what I want.

The second boat I looked at was a Caliber 35.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...er-35-3584568/

This boat appeared to be in fantastic shape. I couldn't find anything to dislike about this one except possibly the in mast furling. Also I think a Tartan 34-2 would be a better sailor and cheaper but no sugar scoop.

The third boat was a J Boat 34c which was parked next to the Sabre I had looked at the previous day.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...s-34c-3591345/

The J Boat was covered for the winter so it was hard to get around the deck but other than some cracking gel coat in a few areas it seemed to also be in very good shape. I preferred the layout of the Tartan and Caliber more than the J Boat, mainly due to not being able to convert one of the settees into a double berth. The head arrangement on the J Boat also seemed a bit silly with the two doors. OTOH sailboatdata would indicate that it could sail circles around pretty much any other boat I've looked at.

I'm taking everyone's advice to try and find my last boat first seriously. It's a bit of a catch-22 since I don't know what I don't know. I'm also starting by looking at smaller boats with the adage that you should get the smallest boat you can live with. If I can't find what I want in the 35' range I'll start looking at bigger boats.

B&B Spindrift 11N
Past Adventures:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in