Spend my money - Page 8 - SailNet Community
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 79 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Re: Spend my money

Certainly any J-boat, even the cruising versions will sail circles around most of the other boats you are looking at. J-Boats doesn't make many slow boats. The interior of that 34c is pretty typical of Js, with a bit more woodwork than their faster models.

Every boat has compromises. There is no getting around that. I think the idea of getting "your last boat first" is not very realistic. If you are planning on short range cruising and racing you will want a much different boat than you would want for live aboard and long range cruising.

You should focus on getting the right boat for your needs in the near future, and worry about your long term goals as you get closer to that time. You will probably find that features you consider important now are much less important to you once you gain some experience. You should also be wary about getting starting out with a bigger boat. Even a 35ft boat is quite a lot of boat for a beginner, particularly if you get a powered up boat like a J. Everything costs more on bigger boats. There is something to be said for learning about boat maintenance on a smaller, less expensive boat. You might find a 40ft boat in your price range needs an overwhelming amount of maintenance.

I went from a 20ft to a 30ft to a 39ft and each step was a big leap. I couldn't imagine having a 39ft boat for my first one.

A

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
bajaking likes this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
The Following User Says Thank You to SchockT For This Useful Post:
ThereYouAre (3 Weeks Ago)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 79 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
I think the idea of getting "your last boat first" is not very realistic.
So true. You can make all the lists you want and read all the books you want and kick all the tires, but until you've really spent time sailing and living on at least one boat, you'll have no idea what is important to you in a boat. Unless you're one of those people that's easily appeased and doesn't second guess everything, in which case, I'm jealous.
I suspect the PO is not one of those people, otherwise he/she wouldn't have started this thread.

In some parts of the world, arranged marriage is the norm. Your wife/husband is your first everything. That is your official marriage.
But in some of these places there is a whole system of classified ads and websites for what are called "love marriages". That is where you find what you actually want in a partner after finding your official marriage leaves something to be desired. I think boats are the same.

(apologies in advance to anyone who finds offense in that analogy)

Last edited by bajaking; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:13 PM.
post #73 of 79 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaking View Post
So true. You can make all the lists you want and read all the books you want and kick all the tires, but until you've really spent time sailing and living on at least one boat, you'll have no idea what is important to you in a boat. Unless you're one of those people that's easily appeased and doesn't second guess everything, in which case, I'm jealous.
I suspect the PO is not one of those people, otherwise he/she wouldn't have started this thread.

In most of India, arranged marriage is the norm. Your wife/husband is your first everything. That is your official marriage.
But there is a whole system of classifies and websites for what are called "love marriages". That is where you find what you actually want. I think boats are the same.

(apologies in advance to anyone who finds offense in that analogy)

The boat I own I bought new in 1985. I was 38 yrs old and essentially no sailing experience save for a learn to sail course, and some time on a friend's boat the summer before I bout the 36s. Yes I had read everything I could. Friend was very knowledgeable and advised/mentored me.

I am an architect so perhaps I can look at "spaces/function" differently than the average person. I don't know.

The 36s looked fabulous to me, intimidating for sure... but it turned out to be... in my opinion almost the perfect boat for me. I've sailed it 10's of thousands of miles... coastal, offshore, live aboard and mostly single and short handed (one other).

The boat from the factory lacked many things needed for live aboard and offshore work. I spent 6 years and lots of money upgrading the new boat. And I've spend that amount x 2 or 3 over the years in further upgrades. Of course I've gone through several suits of sails, running rigging, upgraded the blocks and so forth. Added an electric windlass, engine drive refer, forced air diesel heat, several generations of nav instruments/electronics/radios. Added an AP, Re-did the lifelines, added an inner forestay and trysail track, upgraded and added winches, solar, completely re did the 12 electrics - wiring, switches, batts. Did a bunch or joinery upgrades, changed the head, replaced the hatches and all the port lites, upholstery a few times.

The boat had what to me is a very successful design... good bones and all I did was make it fit my sailing / live aboard needs.

I would not do this again... even knowing what I do from over 3 decades of sailing.

Whether it was luck, or skill and hard work... or both... what I did is proof that someone can get the right boat the first time but it STILL NEEDS to be "tailored" to the individual who owns it. Some people accept poorly fit clothes... others don't.
There are many things you can "change" on a boat. Many things you cannot.

You need to be smart enough, talented enough, stupid enough, and persistent enough and of course lucky enough to make it work on the first buy.
chef2sail and contrarian like this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

post #74 of 79 Old 3 Weeks Ago

SanderO,
You're just the exception that proves the rule.
SanderO likes this.
post #75 of 79 Old 3 Weeks Ago
S/V Interlude, PSC31

Well thought I had said about all that can be said, at least by me but....

I have little experience compared to many on this forum but I have also spent years developing my wants which have been described by myself previously on this thread. The challenge was aligning the needs with wants so they became the same.

We are two retired teachers thus money spent is held close. We could not afford to make mistakes that cost much treasure as we frankly didn't have much treasure. Our choice of boat when we returned to sailing after over 25 years away was the result of us dreaming about owning one since that fateful day at the Annapolis boat show in 1989, the year we sold our little boat and gave up sailing but not our dreams. Ten years of sailing prior to that day gave us just enough knowledge to know what we wanted, twenty five years of not sailing helped us determine if that was still the case. She was designed to cruise the world, we may not be anymore, however never underestimate the value of a dream achieved.

I guess we are an exception as well. We have found that not having a large treasure chest has resulted in having to be sure about financial decisions, boats generally are not considered wise financial decisions. This wasn't just about finances, it was about a dream deferred no longer. I can not begin offer anymore practical advice other than what I have already tenured, and as I have said there are far more experienced folks out there than myself, but i can speak to the power of a dream. Make it a big one as little ones are too easily dashed.
contrarian likes this.
post #76 of 79 Old 3 Weeks Ago

ThereyYouAre...
I think you really want to hook up with an experienced sailing / sailor / mentor as you navigate through the buying process... and beyond maybe. Easier said than done for sure.

You'll want someone who is local to where you and the boat will be kept in the initial period until you actually take off. I think most sailors would be generous with their time and be willing to take this on. Their advice will be based on their boat, their experience and so... but it's better than questions to unknown random posters on www forums.

How do you find such a mentor? Who knows? Perhaps visit some boatyards and marinas and chat up some sailor you run into with salty boats. Maybe join a yacht club is possible.

Good luck!

post #77 of 79 Old 3 Weeks Ago
S/V Interlude, PSC31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
ThereyYouAre...
I think you really want to hook up with an experienced sailing / sailor / mentor as you navigate through the buying process... and beyond maybe. Easier said than done for sure.

You'll want someone who is local to where you and the boat will be kept in the initial period until you actually take off. I think most sailors would be generous with their time and be willing to take this on. Their advice will be based on their boat, their experience and so... but it's better than questions to unknown random posters on www forums.

How do you find such a mentor? Who knows? Perhaps visit some boatyards and marinas and chat up some sailor you run into with salty boats. Maybe join a yacht club is possible.

Good luck!
Agreed! We had just such a fellow who had owned and sailed PSC's, former keel boat instructor and soon to be good friend. He helped me move Interlude from Annapolis to her home, spent an entire season going out with me to help me learn her ways, and still helps when needing an extra set of hands or perspective. He was INSTRUMENTAL in our return to sailing. Books, classes, info on the web are all good resources but that personal touch is invaluable.
SanderO likes this.
post #78 of 79 Old 3 Weeks Ago

JeffH apparently has helped already. You couldn't find a more qualified mentor!
ThereYouAre likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to SanderO For This Useful Post:
Jeff_H (3 Weeks Ago)
post #79 of 79 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
ThereyYouAre...

Good luck!
I think you advice is sound and I figured by creating this thread on Sailnet I was getting the benefit of many mentors. I've also been communicating with other members by email. Also a couple of members of my model yacht club which are current or former big boat sailors have indicated they would be willing to come out during the survey and sea trials.

Being in northern Northern Virginia the only club around is the Sailing Club of Washington. I've been a member for two years but didn't get much out of it as they seem to schedule all their activities during the work week and being on the wrong side of the metropolis made the commute a nightmare.

Thanks for the well wishes. The search continues.

No matter where you go, ....
B&B Spindrift 11N
Past Adventures:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in