Spend my money - SailNet Community
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 84 Old 01-02-2020 Thread Starter

Dock
Spend my money

Well after three years of scrimping and saving the plan has come together and it's time to look for a liveaboard to purchase.

The end goal is to purchase a blue water boat to do a circumnavigation but the current thinking is to purchase something smaller and cheaper than my 'ideal' boat and spend a couple years cruising between the Chesapeake and Bahamas until I figure out just how much I don't know.

Besides lounging around, playing my ukulele, and getting lost at sea. I'm also interested in racing. Not so much racing around the marks as I don't need some adrenaline junkie who's half in the bag t-boning my home.

While hope springs eternal and past performance is no guarantee of future results, I fully expect to be single handing.

My sailing experience is almost entirely dinghy sailing. My big boat experience is completing the USSailing's basic keelboat course and going out with Jeff_H a couple times on his 38 footer.

My budget is ~100k but since I'm starting smallish I'm looking for something under $50k about 35' long. Ideally I would like something I could sell in two or three years without losing my shirt.

Must haves
1. A touch of class (whatever that means)
2. A turn of speed (I'm using a PHRF of 150 for a 35' to make this determination)
3. Ability to carry my 5.5'/11' nesting dinghy (I'd rather carry it assembled if possible)
4. Less than 6' draft

Should haves in order of importance
1. Comfortable saloon
2. Dry head (aka separate shower, this is the one luxury I really don't want to give up)
3. Swim platform / sugar scoop for easy access. (I've seen a few boats with aftermarket folding swim platforms on the transom so I'm flexible on this if a swim platform could be retrofitted.
4. 2nd stateroom

Unicorn attributes ( I don't believe in Unicorns)
1. Beachable
2. Tabernacle mast

Ideally I'll purchase something on the Chesapeake but am willing to look all over the east coast and great lakes.

If you know what boats might fit this criteria I would love your input. If I was going to to try and get my forevever boat right away I would be looking for an Ericson 38-200, Tartan 372 or similar.

thanks,
Hugh

No matter where you go, ....
B&B Spindrift 11N
Past Adventures:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ThereYouAre; 01-02-2020 at 06:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 Old 01-02-2020

Re: Spend my money

If you forget unicorn, you can prob find your 3 year boat for 1/2 of your budget
post #3 of 84 Old 01-02-2020 Thread Starter

Dock

Yes, I don't expect any boat to have the Unicorn features. The Clearwater 35 is the closest thing I've seen to a perfect boat but I think the saloon is too compromised by the keel trunk to be a good live aboard.

If you can mention some of the boats that have the rest of the features I would be grateful.

No matter where you go, ....
B&B Spindrift 11N
Past Adventures:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 84 Old 01-02-2020

Id be thinking hunter 34 ish
3 year boat
The Following User Says Thank You to RegisteredUser For This Useful Post:
ThereYouAre (01-02-2020)
post #5 of 84 Old 01-02-2020

I'd consider a Bristol 33.3 or 35.5
tempest likes this.

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC
The Following User Says Thank You to bristol299bob For This Useful Post:
ThereYouAre (01-02-2020)
post #6 of 84 Old 01-02-2020

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

35 or 38 C&C. No swim platform or seperate shower on 35 BUT great PHRF . My 35 is 127. Great pointing ability. Used to race her. Great accommodations with large V and headroom. Well made.

Hard to find used ones.

I’m located around the corner from JeffH on Whitehall Creek

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
The Following User Says Thank You to chef2sail For This Useful Post:
ThereYouAre (01-02-2020)
post #7 of 84 Old 01-02-2020
Dirt Free

Buy your last boat first. You will save a fortune and it will be ready to circumnavigate when you are and you will know it intimately.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #8 of 84 Old 01-02-2020

If you were buying me a Bluewater boat for under 100K, I would tell you that I could forego the sugar scoop and the dry head.

I would then tell you that I want a Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 or 37!

Jim
chef2sail and elliowb like this.
post #9 of 84 Old 01-03-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Buy your last boat first. You will save a fortune and it will be ready to circumnavigate when you are and you will know it intimately.
I completely agree with this ^^^^. When one buys any used boat, they start dumping money into it quickly. Best you not have to start over so quickly. Going from competent dinghy sailing to a 30 something foot boat is no big deal, especially after a little training.

p.s. The OP will lose their shirt on any boat they buy. No way to avoid. Even those that resell in the vicinity of what they pay, which is rare enough, they rarely consider all the maintenance, upgrades, etc. Then again, I'd rather use my shirt than have it just sit on the shelf.
boatpoker, elliowb and ThereYouAre like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #10 of 84 Old 01-03-2020

I want to comment (yet again) on the separate.... or as the OP states "dry shower".

My Contest 36s has the head forward and it separates the V berth from the salon. The walls are high gloss varnish teak. The finish is in perfect condition 35 years on including living aboard for 5 or 6 years.
The head liner is gelcoat. There is some gel coated hull liner behind the head itself and a gel coated shower pan under the teak grate for the sole. The head contains 4 lockers... 2 tall on port and 2 short on stbd. Port are used for hanging and one for shelves for towels linen and assorted storage. Stbd are used as medicine and storage cabinets. The top stbd lockers is a deep shelf and at the hull is a raised teak board behind which all manner of bottles and tubes of liquids. The actual head is to stbd and the sink is a teak "box" with a ss sink in formica top with teak fiddles. All teak is varnish in high gloss. A large mirror is on above the sink. towels hang from hooks on the forward bulkhead. TP is on the inside of the locker door of the stbd cab. The sink fitting is a hand shower which includes a shut off valve at the handle. There is a large CL hatch which when open forward and pulls air from the bow. There is a hand hold on the forward bulkhead head side.

Our bead is the shower. We can shower standing... or sitting on the head. The walls do get wet. After showering we always open the hatch... it's open in summer when we shower. We squeegee the teak and then wipe it down with the towel. The only thing "wet" when we finish a shower is the teak grate. With the hatch open it dries very quickly. I have a forced air heat outlet in the bulkhead facing the head (toasty warm on cold days!) We we shower our entire head is "washed". Air flows through as the door is typically left open and latched. The head is by no means large but it's large compared to many I've seen.

We have no lingering head odors EVER. At first I had my doubts about a teak walk through head for many reasons. I don't any more and find it a well thought out and brilliant design.

Note we do not sleep in the V. It is use only for guests (rarely)... We stow things in the V... and it's like a walk in closet and its proximity to the head works fine. I also like the fact that the head is as far from the aft cabin where we sleep, the galley and the cockpit.
Attached Thumbnails
P1010822 (1014 x 760).jpg   Head.jpg  
ThereYouAre likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in