Around the Americas, help and advice - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 61 Old 01-07-2020

Re: Around the Americas, help and advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
https://toptotop.org
After their transatlantic passage to South America they avoided Cape Horn by heading east,
Looking at the map in the link, it looks like they avoided Cape Horn by taking what is likely the more difficult route through the North West Passage. They still did a bit of Southern Ocean AND they took what likely is and likely always has been the more difficult route around the Americas

Last edited by Arcb; 01-07-2020 at 04:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 61 Old 01-07-2020 Thread Starter

Hey there! So many comments with pretty much no reply from me. Sorry about that.. I don't always have access to the internet and was working and sleeping in a migrant tent city. I have seen a few suggestions and then a lot more that wasn't really about what I asked. I'll try to respond to it all.

@SanderO - I don't really need comments on the actual project. Unless you are in the market to make a substantial donation to a nonprofit, no offense, I have absolutely no reason to send you my proposal. I don't think I will find 3 qualified people that can work with youth. It isn't beyond the scope of possibilities to bring someone on that has absolutely nothing to do with the work aspect, just a weathered sailor...It would still involve background checks. I am talking with someone about a Hans Christian 38ft for $26,000. I had mentioned that I know it might not be realistic to go that low. Out of my personal funding, I am willing to push right up to 7 figures if I had to...just going to stick with fantasy and do as I always do, for a challenge and for the least amount.

@Arcb - Even though I am not going to hire someone to sail the strait, I mentioned in my reply to Mark that I would not be sailing around the horn. It is the Mt. Everest for sailors. Just like Mt. Everest, I will be close but not attempt.

@chef2sail - I'm not going to share emails, whatsapp messages, or anything else with anyone that is not involved in the work I do. I will try to get the idea back out there though. I don't need advice about the work end of the project. If anyone wants to talk to me about funding expectations and where to look for the boat and crew, all ears! Unless anyone has my background in filmmaking and running a nonprofit, I don't need thoughts on those. I have background checks all over and constantly getting more(many you have to redo on a yearly basis).

Please read and pay attention that I have done this for years. My work has been in Mongolia, Thailand, Indonesia, Burma, Nepal, India, Spain, Turkey, Afghanistan, Morocco, Ghana, South Africa, Brazil, Peru, Colombia, Panama, Nicaragua, Honduras, Mexico, United States, & Haiti. The only new variable is this project is incorporating a boat.

I will be spending about 3-4 months with a lifetime sailor off of the eastern shores in Virginia. He said that won't even completely prepare me for S.A., but that I will be fine if I don't adhere to a timeline. Any of my reply is not meant to be rude. I will do this journey with or without the help of others.

@Minnewaska - It is through the strait, not around the horn. I have been reading some books, youtube, and reading blogs. I hope whoever reads this also notes. ~ If even the strait seems too out of reach, I have a final effort option. We would sail back up and through the PC. I would get vehicles to travel to the parts we had to skip.
You can tell me it isn't going to happen, trust me that I have heard that before. This is coming from a kid that was homeless 16-20 and became a filmmaker that was paid to travel the world. I have walked across 4 countries on foot in one go, rode a motorcycle from Mongolia to Thailand, hiked the AT and PCT, kayaked half the Mississippi river, bicycled coast to coast(with $200 to my name, the 4 countries was with $0 to my name). I have a lot of unknown variables. I am green and made sure to make that known first...this is one of so many steps I am taking to prepare. A source to speak with other sailors.

@flee27 - I am going to download his podcast! I am taking off on a long drive through Mexico and this would be perfect. Thanks

@outbound - I have thought about starting on the West Coast...but have been getting the deals on boats on the East. I'm not opposed to it at least.

@Arcb - thanks, I will actually do that this evening!

@SanderO - It might be mental (insert a shrug emoji here). I gave a base layout of everything. From that point, I said I welcomed advice. What are the realities vs. impossible. Considering you don't know me personally, you can't speak of my abilities. You can speak for your personal views on boats, crews, season/times, etc. Maybe it is something you couldn't do. Maybe you lack in areas and assume others must obviously as well? At any point during the journey should I feel it is beyond me, I will assess and act accordingly.

@Scandium - I looked at a vega before! I don't want anything under 35ft for sure though. I have seen a lot of videos of people doing amazing things with smaller boats...but I am planning to have at least 1 or 2 other people, along with room for the gear.

@Arcb - I am willing to rework as needed. I mentioned earlier that I would get cars or motorcycles to get to places if that happened. I am willing to increase the timeline if at any point I am not comfortable and just want to take more time. Funding isn't all that much of an issue. I was homeless as a child and have always preferred to do things with as little money as possible(and I have done just that on some grand adventures).

@sanders O - That isn't the budget for the boat. I found so many in that range and I love the idea of it. I can't even say sorry if you don't find it realistic... I just don't care (put that shrug emoji here as well).

@MarkofSeaLife - Thanks for the constant input and moderating. I didn't mean for you to take up the thread while I was working. Cheers

Everyone. I hope that the replies was enough. If getting a boat just won't happen within that range of money, I will increase...except I have seen some pretty amazing blue water boats that fit into that amount. If my lack of time on a boat worries you, I agree...my friend said he is confident that 3-4 months of sailing with him will be good, so long as I don't solo it and take as much time as needed. I am genuinely glad that people care about the safety of the youth around the world! Still, I know more about the legalities than any of you on that subject. I honestly don't need advice there and only mentioned it so everyone would have an understanding for the reason of this journey.

Thanks for the advice when it was given!
post #23 of 61 Old 01-07-2020 Thread Starter

You say that I would not take much advice...but you are just saying why I'm mental and it can't be done. Not really advice. I've actually already started looking up things people have told me on here. Just because you are kinda [edited by Moderator] doesn't mean I am not welcoming input. If me saying I don't really want to come on here and justify/talk about my work with kids upsets you...sorry, but this is a forum for sailing. I am trying to keep at topic.

Last edited by Arcb; 01-07-2020 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Language

post #24 of 61 Old 01-07-2020

I removed a couple of words from the last post. Lets try not to get personal
post #25 of 61 Old 01-07-2020 Thread Starter

I ideally plan to start in Virginia and go round to Alaska, ending with a tribe I work with there. It isn't fully around the Americas. I am looking at a 45ft seawolf, Bruce Roberts 44 offshore, Reliance 44 ketch, and Columbia 43 all for under $20k. Maybe none of them are ideal with more research.

For the links people sent, or ideas of other places to look..thank you. I am going to keep researching and saving to a folder I have created for this. Should I move away from fiberglass?

Sorry, @Arcb I just hate people coming on to troll and not really offer anything of substance. I am all for people telling me the negatives when it is as a contribution to the subject.
post #26 of 61 Old 01-07-2020

Pretty harsh response, when my post provided constructive reference material.

An internet resume doesn’t change anything. There are reasons why a $20k boat that has to be bigger than a Pearson 35 will never be reliable enough to be in these remote places. Sorry if it’s not what you want to hear. Inexpensive boats have major needs. They work for putting around the coast. Needing to be reliable enough for a 3 year expedition in remote areas, often with limited access to repair facilities and parts is the issue.

As to experience, I would much rather try everything you have claimed to do, twice, before I would ever set sail toward the roaring 40s in a cheap old boat that would Be in the kind of condition that would sell for that budget. You only need to spend some time with Mother Nature’s fury, while you only have a few hundred square feet that floats and 10,000 feet of water beneath you to understand.
Nate Dennison likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
chef2sail (01-07-2020)
post #27 of 61 Old 01-07-2020 Thread Starter

Thanks @SanderO

I fully agree that time is absolutely important! I am looking into paying someone to join and sail should the need be there. All the books, podcasts, and videos can not substitute actual experience...but it doesn't make this impossible.

I checked the places I have things already in place. Beyond Concepcion, Chile and Bahia Blanca, Argentina..I would just be winging it. Which I have done in a few countries. Get there, introduce and show what I do, then form a team and host the workshop and let them film. I mention that because I am not opposed to turning around and going through the PC and back down to the other side and resuming (skipping going through the strait). Adaptability is one of the most important parts to any journey.
post #28 of 61 Old 01-07-2020

Dock

4 posts deleted.

Any more bulldust on here and you'll cop a 24 hours suspension to read the rules.

The most important rule is DON'T GET MARK ANGRY!

Now back on the OPs subject or clear off to another thread.

For those that dont like this thread. The Mods have reviewed it and it stays. So you dont stay unless you can contribute using your brain and experience.

Theres lots of other threads if you dont like this one.

Mark
SanderO and PhilCarlson like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #29 of 61 Old 01-07-2020 Thread Starter

I don't see where my reply was harsh to you. I am sorry, @Minnewaska I had only listed the pearson 35 as my starting point. Since the comments in here, I have been looking at 40+...though I have seen a bit of content from people sailing with less (key to note they had obvious years of experience, and that makes a substantial difference). Whichever purchase I make will be done with a seasoned sailor there with me. I am just starting the research about 2 years out right now.
post #30 of 61 Old 01-07-2020
The most female moderator

Dock

Holy crudités. Some of you need more holiday cheer.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in