Around the Americas, help and advice - SailNet Community
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 61 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Question Around the Americas, help and advice

Hey there everyone. I want to hurry up and get a few things out of the way before the meat of the post!
1. If this is deemed the wrong area to post this particular question, sorry and I will move it where needed.
2. This is my first post and I am completely green.

So here goes! I am a filmmaker and Executive Director of an NGO. I promise I'm not as pretentious as the tone of those 2 things combined. I am currently traveling along the entire US-Mexico border. I don't even think this project will end until Summer.

Upon completion, I have decided to move forward with purchasing a sailboat and starting a project I have been sitting on for about 7 years. I will travel around all of the Americas, pulling into ports to put cameras into the hands of the youth and teach them how to film their own documentaries. That will be coupled with my own filming from the journey on the boat.

I've been scouring craigslist back in my current home area of Virginia-South Carolina. I have found some really amazing deals that will most likely be gone by the time I am back and ready. I can't seem to convince anyone to uproot and do this project for the next 3+ years with me(maybe this site could even lead into that). I'll only have about 4 months to learn under 2 friends everything I can about sailing.

I've been looking at a pearson 35, but it just feels too small for what I need. I am looking for suggestions on pretty much everything. You are welcome to try and dissuade as well, but I'm keen on it. I need a space dedicated to editing and keeping a lot of film gear. If I can get 2 private berths as well, mint! Trying to keep the boat cost to under $20k.

Thanks for the read, look forward to the words,
Nate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 1 Week Ago

Dock
Re: Around the Americas, help and advice

Yachtworld.Com has boat listings.

Quote:

I promise I'm not as pretentious as the tone of those 2 things combined.
Don't worry, we won't treat you as such. We have many, many people come on here expecting us to finance their dream cruise around the world when they have neither experience nor boat.

Do you have adequate police certification to work with children. In many countries I doubt that's lawful unless you're registered. Too much kiddy feeling in the past.

When you say "the America's" you mean South America too? So for Argentina rounding Cape Horn and back up Chile you need a pretty good boat. Really the cruising south of the Caribbean gets much tougher and that's why so few do it.
It's achievable. But not easy.

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #3 of 61 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Mark. I don't count my limited experience while living in the Gib years ago...but it did set a seed. Also, not going to catch me asking anyone to finance.

That part where I mentioned I am the Executive Director of an NGO. NGO, Charity, Nonprofit, Foundation...all the same thing. I legally and professionally work with youth and communities around the world. As I am writing this, I am working with the Asylum Seekers along the US southern border. More so, with the youth. So the legality isn't in question, I have a working relationship with multiple governments.

Even with a good boat, I am not experienced enough to go round the horn yet. I have someone in Chile that will actually be coming on to help with crossing the Strait of Magellan.

I'm mostly looking for weathered suggestions. Starting block being the pearson 35. It is slim and maybe not ideal. Sometimes saving a couple thousand ends up costing in the long-term.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

post #4 of 61 Old 1 Week Ago

Dock

Thanks for the explanation.

Sea Life
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
post #5 of 61 Old 1 Week Ago

Sounds like an interesting and challenging project.

Without reading a more detailed "business plan" or "grant proposal" (whatever word you use) it's hard to make more than general comments.

Any project will require a "plan" which will include a budget for expenses to complete the project. Your idea involves sailing to the ports around the "Americas". That's a lot coastline. Some of the coast line is densely populated and developed like the NE USA... some of it is completely the reverse... like the north coast of Brazil... where I have sailed...almost no sign of any civilization.

For sure a boat would almost have to be no smaller than mid 30s in length. Two people can do this... but it's not all that easy on long passages.. but doable. I would think two people minimum. Four would allow division of labor, easier watches and have persons with specialized expertise. I can think of things like... a master sailor, a videographer - photographer, cultural anthropologist - historian, mechanic - tech expert. But if you are 4 a mid 30s boat is too small. Then I would go for mid 40s and up. Whatever the boat you'll need lots of space to stow gear and food as you are essentially going to be off the grid for long periods.

Cost of boat at 20K is pure fantasy. Look for backers. It's going to cost you more than $100k to get underway.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #6 of 61 Old 1 Week Ago

When you say around the Americas, do you mean that literally? As in the Arctic Ocean? I am thinking that alone would require significant research.

Last edited by Arcb; 1 Week Ago at 08:15 AM.
post #7 of 61 Old 1 Week Ago

Dock

On the boat advice only - I think Nate explanation is fine and we shouldn't pick his philosophy apart, nor tech him how to suck eggs.

On Yachtworld.com most boats have the interior layout plan. My website, in my signiture below, shows a 39 foot boat I am comfortable on. 2 sleeping cabins, storage space and saloon/dining/working area.

That's fine for 2 people, OK for 2 couples, but getting squishy.

I think you should scan ads for boats 40 foot and upwards.

Other people here know better than me what good boats you should be looking for

Sea Life

post #8 of 61 Old 1 Week Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

On Internet face value your proposal is interesting. It isn’t without challenges and obstacles. In no way in presenting a few of them am I poo pooing your dream. The intent is to get you thinking of some of the obstacles you will need to surmount . I am just identifying them. If it is your dream you will figure your way around them.

First of all Marks question of clearance working with children closely. This is not an easily answered issue as you answered. The legalities are many times state and local laws and require extensive VETTING before your even allowed to be in contact with them. Here’s an example I was an instructor for a Sail Camp for a nonprofit organization in Maryland . I was required to undergo extensive state background checks. Friends of mine have worked as chaperones on church group trips...again background check. This is not unusual do to the climate we are in now a days. While your intentions maybe pure....not everyone’s are.....therefore the kids are protected.

Second, again not insurmountable. How do you intend to pick up the sailing experience. Your dream takes you through the Straits of Magellan. That’s a voyage that even the most experienced of ocean going sailors with huge experience would never attempt. The only area I can think of as dangerous to transit would be the east coast of Africa. The fact you already have the answers ....getting an experienced sailor ....to do that with you actually means you need to do more reading and accept advice from experienced cruisers. Many exist here but would never go on this adventure. Let alone a small sailboat purchased at $20,000. It can be deadly and not just for you.

Lastly, please do some more investigation and read the blogs, threads on SailNet of experienced sailors who travel offshore. The types of boats they use, their actual sailing experience and how they prepared themselves, even for an “ easy” trip to the Caribbean. You certainly have the dream which is good.

Again don’t take this a me saying you can’t do this. Many many people come on Sailnet with very similar variations of this scenario. Some are real and we have seen them fight through the obstacles and start on their dream adventures. Others are overwhelmed by the non thought of obstacles they find and moderate their dream, and lastly some are just people trolling with a type of “sailor clickbait” to invoke a spirited discussion and sit back.

Give us some more thoughts and details of how you plan to accomplish what you have posted. Someone asked for a business plan, a reasonable request. Some including me will ask what resources you have , be specific. Some may ask how you intend on getting any sailing experience. Hiring someone reputable to assist you would ask this.

Let’s here more about your dream and steps to flesh out overcoming it’s obvious obstacles. You will find if this is real there will be a lot of people on here to give you great information. Balls in your court.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #9 of 61 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
On the boat advice only - I think Nate explanation is fine and we shouldn't pick his philosophy apart, nor tech him how to suck eggs......
I agree, we should not get rude about it. However, saying that $20k and 4 months of sailing experience is a really bad idea for circumnavigating the Americas, is pretty legit. Not going to happen, despite the reported help around the Horn.

Constructively, the OP may way to take a look at Sequiter's book, where he left the West Coast of Canada, sailed around the Horn and back up to FL. Then quit sailing oceans. He was a lifetime naval officer and highly experienced ocean sailor. I bought his book at the time, but have since given it away. Much of it was travel destination stuff in Central and South America, but there was plenty of describing the sailing conditions. I recall something like being hunkered down below for several days in a Force 9 or 10 storms on the East coast of South America. He had a couple of threads going here, back in the day that might help a bit. He loved cooking well underway and drinking wine, but the crew and boat took a good beating and his was brand new.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #10 of 61 Old 1 Week Ago

Dock

Last time I sailed Rio to Mar Del Platta in Argentina we shredded 3 sails and put 6 twists in the forestay furler. and that was on a Swan 65 footer!

Not mine, I was the mate. Oh, and yes, I wasnt on watch when they wound the 6 twists into the furler. Never put the furling line on a winch... but these guys did it on a coffee grinder

It can get a bit nasty down there... and that was in late December!

Sea Life

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in