deciding between a few sail boats.. HELP! - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 Old 1 Week Ago

Re: deciding between a few sail boats.. HELP!

Yes the Pearson 26 has a fixed keel with 4 foot draft. DO NOT consider trailor sailing one. I agree with the suggestions to go smaller. Makes the launching, rigging, retrieval, etc. so much easier. And you want a centerboard or swing keel boat.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 1 Week Ago

Dock

You really need to decide if you want to trailer sail or not. If not, buy the Pearson. If so, buy one of the others.

At that price point, all of those boats (or trailers) will have lurking projects, some urgent. It may be much easier to address them on a trailer than in a slip (or having to get hauled out).
post #13 of 24 Old 1 Week Ago
cdy

Pearson would be the best choice if keeping it in the water - worst choice for trailing - the Compac would be OK for trailering if you are only doing it 3-4 times per year - if you truly want to trailer most of the time and will use the boat frequently - once a month - Catalina 22 is about as big as you want - McGregors have larger boats that be trailered that have water ballast - but not in your price range

post #14 of 24 Old 1 Week Ago
Freedom isn't free

Dock

25 foot boat with 4' fixed draft keel, mast lifted solo, here is how you do it.

Also S2 7.9, trailers nicely, 18 inches of water to launch, 5' draft board down, 26' long (its a big heavy boat though, 5500lbs).

So now I've found 2 boats over 25 feet, I've launched myself and stepped the mast myself. They exist.

BTW it took over 1 hour to rig each time. I think the Capri 25 took about 2 hours, the S2 7.9 probably about the same, with the rudder being the biggest PITA.

As for the Cat 22, not sure why you were adjusting rigging every time.... You detach the forestay and drop the mast back, if you used an adjustable backstay, you release the backstay , rotate the mast forward put the forestay pin in, then tighten backstay, rigging should be kept roughly the same each time for trailering.

My Capri 22, which was a nice 2.5ft draft was also a great sailing boat AND easy to launch (still about an hour).

But I will agree $1500 isn't a lot of cash for a trailerable 24+ foot sailboat, even if it needs some work.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20130430_142122_224.jpg   IMG_20130430_090428_011.jpg   IMG_20130430_121931_569.jpg  
RegisteredUser likes this.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA
post #15 of 24 Old 1 Week Ago

Condition matters more than almost anything. like someone said, sails & motor are big $$ items, but also check for deck rot and issues with the chainplates. Also, be sure that the title & docs on the trailer are in order. At least here in WA it can be a big pain to sort out an untitled trailer.
JoCoSailor likes this.
post #16 of 24 Old 1 Week Ago
Freedom isn't free

Dock

For a trailerable the first most important thing is the trailer. Sorry.
You have to get it home, if you can't deal over.

Bearings, tires, lights, safety chains. A used 2 stroke motor on craigs can get you going if you have to... Sails used for common boats are easy to get on ebay. Not race quality sails of course.

soggy decks though are deal breakers, nobody wants to rebuild the sandwich of an entire boat, you'll have hundreds of hours of labor in that.
JoCoSailor likes this.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA
post #17 of 24 Old 1 Week Ago
Barquito

I think most people who have trailer sailed would agree that if they had their boat on a mooring, or rigged at a dry dock, they would sail a lot more. If you are just getting back into sailing, and getting used to a new boat, you will want it as simple as possible. You don't want to feel like since you have the whole family there, and it is going to take 2 hours to rig the boat, that you need to go out no matter what the weather is doing. If logistics, or budget do not allow, then your plan can work. Make sure any boat you get, the previous owner has a system for raising the mast solo (or nearly solo). As soon as this economic depression really settles in, you may be able to find a 22' boat for a case of good beer (and a Hunter for a 6 pack of bad beer).

Valiant 32
post #18 of 24 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvon View Post
Condition matters more than almost anything. like someone said, sails & motor are big $$ items, but also check for deck rot and issues with the chainplates. Also, be sure that the title & docs on the trailer are in order. At least here in WA it can be a big pain to sort out an untitled trailer.
Also, make sure the documents match the VIN stamped into the boat stern and the id on the trailer itself.

I am the 3rd owner of my West Wight Potter. When I titled the boat, I used the VIN off the 2nd owner's title. One day I was checking the actual VIN and found that two numbers were transposed on the title. Since I had all the records for the boat, I found out the manufacture had made an error on the original bill of sale, and this had carried over to the previous three (including mine) titles of the boat. Maryland DNR corrected my title with the correct VIN. Lesson learned, since then I ALWAYS check the actual VIN against the title whenever I buy any type of vehicle.

Jim
post #19 of 24 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
I think most people who have trailer sailed would agree that if they had their boat on a mooring, or rigged at a dry dock, they would sail a lot more.
Not necessarily. Maintenance is a lot easier on a trailer sailer. The difference between working on a boat in your drive way using tools from your garage and working on a boat in a yard an hour or two from home is difficult to over state.

No doubt, trailering can be a pain, especially if one had a bad set up. But, I still prefer it to when I used to keep my boats at yacht clubs. And it costs me about $5000 a year less, so that's a consideration.

I do wonder if a good set up can be easily had for $1500, especially in the size op is talking about. Probably could go with a smaller boat for that budget. Easily rigged trailables on highway worthy trailers can come at a bit of a premium.
JoCoSailor likes this.

Last edited by Arcb; 1 Week Ago at 11:30 AM.
post #20 of 24 Old 6 Days Ago

I'm a big fan of big cockpits. I'd encourage you to consider the Windrose 24. It has a large cockpit. Great to have room with people aboard and not cramped.j

The Windrose 24 has a swing keel so trailer sailing is easier. The cabin is also of good size.

I agree with some others here that having your boat moored during the sailing season is the best way to enjoy sailing.

Tags
trailer sailor , used boat purchase

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in