J/24 or Wavelength 24 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 08-13-2007 Thread Starter

J/24 or Wavelength 24

Hi, I currently own half of a Pearson 30 and would like to own the whole of another boat. I'm looking for a smaller boat that is more responsive and exciting and has the added benefit of being trailerable.

At first I was focused on buying a J/24, and may still, but while searching these forums and others I discovered the Wavelength 24 and am intrigued. There is nearly every bit of information available about the J/24 but the Wavelength not so much.

I plan to day sail and race phrf on Lake Erie. Any info, comments or insight about the Wavelength 24 will be much appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-13-2007

How about a FSC-24 ??!!
canting keel, made in carbon, carbon mast & boom, do I need to say more?
If you need more information email me : info @ global-sailing-adventures.com
Grtz Patrick
post #3 of 24 Old 08-13-2007
Telstar 28

I don't think of the J/24 as a particularly trailerable boat. Most have to be launched with a sling or travel lift, even if they are stored on a trailer. If you're really looking at getting a trailerable boat that is more responsive and exciting, you might also want to look at the sport trimarans, like the Telstar 28 I own, as well as the Corsair 28. The Corsair 28s have a fairly strong one-design racing class, as well as fairly standard PHRF ratings, but aren't as comfortable to cruise on as the Telstar.

I've not seen the Wavelength 24 in person, but from what I've read and seen about it... it' ain't exactly a trailerable boat either. It also needs a travelift or crane to launch it from its trailer.

I guess it depends on what you mean by trailerable. Most people, when they say trailerable, mean a boat that can launched and retrieved onto a boat trailer, at a boat ramp. That is clearly not possible with the Wavelength 24 or J/24. You could do it with a Catalina 22, 25, or Hunter 25, or something similiar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickZ View Post
How about a FSC-24 ??!!
canting keel, made in carbon, carbon mast & boom, do I need to say more?
Grtz Patrick
Patrick-

If you have a relationship with the company that makes the FSC-24, which sounds to be the case, your post is considered spam and is against the terms of service for Sailnet.

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 08-13-2007 at 04:47 PM.

post #4 of 24 Old 08-13-2007
Helms ALee!

Saildog, I think patrickZ was talking about this...

http://www.faesales.com/FSC-24.html

post #5 of 24 Old 08-13-2007
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenuki View Post
Saildog, I think patrickZ was talking about this...

http://www.faesales.com/FSC-24.html

That's a good one... LOL... btw, I went to the website that his e-mail address indicates, and it blows chunks... if you click on the British flag for English and switch pages, it switches languages on you... dumb design.

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #6 of 24 Old 08-13-2007 Thread Starter

Sailingdog, thanks for the reply and the other options.

I guess my meaning for trailerable is more in line with being able to easily move it around the boat yard or to drive it to storage for winter maintenance, etc. Also, a trailer widens my search area for a boat since I can hitch it to the pickup and drive it home in lieu of paying for shipping. I would certainly be using a travel lift to launch the boat.

I'm more into a monohull then a tri or cat, mainly just so I can club race with the occasional regatta thrown in within a few hours up and down the coast.
post #7 of 24 Old 08-14-2007
Administrator

I think that there is a tendancy to equate trailorability with ramp launchable. Boats like the J-24 and Wavelength are easily trailerable. They are not easily ramp launchable without specialized equipment. That said, in most areas where there are one design keel boat fleets, there are 2 to 4 ton cranes made to bridle launch boats like these. Its a fast and safe procedure. There is often dry storage facilities available for trailer stored boats in areas where small keel boats are raced and this is generally quite and inexpensive way to keep a boat as well.

The Wavelength 24 is a nice little boat. It is slightly faster and more forgiving than the J-24. There are some one design fleets of Wavelengths but I suspect they are pretty scarce. The Wavelength has done pretty well under PHRF. They were built by Schock and the build quality is a little cruder than the J-24.

Another great little boat in that general size range is the Tripp 26. These are considerably higher performance boats than either the J-24 or Wavelength but they also sell for a higher price as well.

Another bridle launchable trailerable PHRF racer with a bit more accomodations is the Laser 28. I had one of these for nearly 14 years and I really loved the boats. They were very well built and remarkably tough little boats.

Another good PHRF racer choice would be the S-2 7.9. These were potent little MORC boats. Again build quality was not all that great but many of these have been thoroughly upgraded over the years.

Jeff
post #8 of 24 Old 08-14-2007

Wow. Here are my two cents. All of the boats that Jeff H is referencing sail in our local Fleet. Wavelength 24(which is for sale since owner bought J29) J24's S-27.9 and a tripp 26...

All of these boats are trailerable. The 24 can be set up with center point Hitch and a boom crane and take them in/out in about 5 minutes.

The Tripp 26 is the fastest of the boats listed here and is really a performance machine. It is sleek as well.

If you want some info about a Wavelenth 24 for sale in Duluth, MN PM me.

Km2x
post #9 of 24 Old 08-14-2007

Down here on tampa bay we have a fleet of sr maxes, super fast and trailer freindly. the other boat that comes to mind if you don't care about one-design is the wylie wabbit. when I lived in Charleston S.C. there were a couple of these and in certain conditions they would burn the boot stripes off of just about anything. I have seen these pretty reasonably priced less than 5000.00. but I think the glen henderson sr max might fit the bill perfectly though.
post #10 of 24 Old 08-14-2007

Here's the website www.srmaxclass.org/

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in