Who still makes a Bluewater boat? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 08-31-2007 Thread Starter

Who still makes a Bluewater boat?

Who would you put on your short list of Bluewater boats still being manufactured today?

Here is some general criteria: protected rudder, lead keel, good tankage, two double berths (not counting settee), less than 50 feet.

The manufacture should also have a decent dealer in the US.

Now the catch. It doesn't have to be cheap, but it does have to be a good value. Luxury yachts need not apply!!!

Above all "It needs to be a good family boat for a couple and two kids".

Just to get things going I will throw out Passport, Cabo rico, Island Packet, tartan, Pacific seacraft???, gozzard.

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 08-31-2007
Telstar 28

Hallberg Rassy, Valiant and Nauticat come to mind. While these boats are a bit on the higher price side, I wouldn't call them luxury...not like the Moodys or Swans. Amel is also out there... but ugly IMHO.

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #3 of 30 Old 08-31-2007
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
I would also say Caliber yachts would fit your bill. Not sure why you excluded Island Packet, Cabo Rico and Passport other than their tankage for which than I would agree. Not sure why boat manufactures would not figure out how to put more fuel on the boat. 500 miles motor-sailing is a must in my opinion if bluewater cruising. I cannot count that high on how many cruiser logs I have read where they run out of fuel due to wind dies or wind on the nose and are forced to motor-sail. It seems like 20-35% of bluewater cruising is motor-sailing. Carrying fuel Jerry cans on deck is not my thing. I like a clean deck.
Now for the more exotic boat, I would drool over a Vagabound 47'. Great family boat. Plus it looks soo cool. Can one say "Argggg matie"! Here is there link! http://www.contemporaryyachts.com/default.htm

Last edited by Melrna; 08-31-2007 at 01:51 PM.

post #4 of 30 Old 08-31-2007

Contest
post #5 of 30 Old 08-31-2007
Señor Member

Does Oyster qualify? The ones at our marina sure look like they can easily cross oceans in both luxurious comfort and style.

True Blue . . .
sold the Nauticat
post #6 of 30 Old 08-31-2007

Yea they qualify.
post #7 of 30 Old 08-31-2007 Thread Starter

Sorry my bad. I was suggesting those as a starting point for the thread. However I do think the IP's are a little overpriced.

[QUOTE=Melrna;186903]I would also say Caliber yachts would fit your bill. Not sure why you excluded Island Packet, Cabo Rico and Passport other than their tankage for which than I would agree. QUOTE]
post #8 of 30 Old 08-31-2007 Thread Starter

Oyster is just what I am not looking for. While they are very nice, I was looking for a family cruiser not a luxury yacht.

Valient is a good out though.
post #9 of 30 Old 08-31-2007 Thread Starter

Unless I am mistaken contest is also more of a luxury yacht.

I guess I should have put in a price range of 500k or less. Not a million.
post #10 of 30 Old 08-31-2007

Contest is a yacht and reasonably well appointed. But if you look at older models they are pretty basic.

What is considered luxurious? Which is an interesting question. Some might say roller furling is a luxury... or self tailing winches... or an electric windlass... or hot water.

I consider those necessities for cruising and I could go on.

jef
sv shiva

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in