What do you think about a pilothouse sailboat - Page 8 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 89 Old 12-06-2017

Re: What do you think about a pilothouse sailboat

Thanks for the NS34 link. Yes, I agree that a pilothouse or something with inside steering around here would sure extend the sailing/cruising season. There don't seem to be too many pilothouse boats with more of a fin keel. The Nautilus 36 is supposedly built from a C&C 37 hull and looks fast but I haven't been able to find any on the west coast. I've always like the looks of the Gulf 32 but think I'd need an additional boat just for daysailing. The Fishers have an appealing work boat look but again, may not be a dual purpose boat for me. I've seen a couple ads for the Truant/Saturna 33 so may have to check them out.

Anyone have any experience with the LM or Southerly lines from England? I've seen and like them but again, not much around here.

Tanzer 10.5 is interesting, simlar to the Southerly with the lifting keel. I've only seen one and that was about 10 years ago that cruised in.

We looked at a Cooper 353 recently but the layout didn't fit with our likes, no place to relax in the pilothouse and still see out. It seemed to be pretty tall and the main cabin/saloon was kind of dark. There are a few of them for sale i the NW now, though, and I've heard they sail well.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 89 Old 12-06-2017

A couple years back we cruised with a Tanzer 10.5 for a few days, not by design, but we just happened to be on the same schedule and going the same places. I was really impresed with the boat, we were in the 1000 Islands and he took the boat into some really thin water, he, like us was tying up at the small craft docks, rather than anchoring a quarter mile out. Kind of slick for a nearly 35 foot boat. She had both a swing keel and a lifting rudder.

I didnt drive the boat, but i did drink a tall boy in the pilot house. I didnt think thevisibility was very good from the pilot house, and the wheel was offset to the starboard side, which seems like it could be unpleasant on a port tack. I got the impression the cockpit helm station was the primary helm station and the pilot house was more of a secondary helm station.

Over all i was really impressed with the boat.
seabeau likes this.
post #73 of 89 Old 12-06-2017

Years ago we took the time to check out a Cooper 353 and came away disappointed too. I think that line really came into its own in the 50 foot version but few were made.

Somebody produced a pilothouse version of a Catalina 30, I remember seeing one but it could well have been the only one built.

An acquaintance has a Nautilus 40 which they sailed throughout the Caribbean before bringing it home to BC.. they have it still as far as I know.

I think the PH concept is difficult to execute well under 40 feet, and think the North Sea 34 is one of the better ones (outside the more expensive Euro offerings.)

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

post #74 of 89 Old 12-06-2017

Nice to hear you liked the Tanzer. Shallow water capabilities could be pretty handy and allow some private anchorages in a crowded bay. There are a couple for sale in the Great Lakes and or east coast areas. For the right price a fresh water boat could be transported to Puget Sound to start the corrosion process. Maybe elevating the inside helm seat would do a lot for forward visibility.
post #75 of 89 Old 12-06-2017

I think I've seen a picture of the Catalina 30 with a pilothouse but can't say for sure. For the beam of that boat, it may have helped its looks. It seems like Hunter, especially, makes smaller pilothouse boats for the British and maybe European market. Probably aren't enough sales to do that for the US. It will mostly be my wife and myself using the boat with me having to single hand it often so something smaller may work better. I think the Yankee 30 had a pilothouse model although it could have been built by the next builder with the molds. I think something more like 32 to 35 would be more comfortable. Hard to get everything in a small package and have it work well.
post #76 of 89 Old 12-06-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putnamehere View Post
Hey, first post here from the new guy. I'm researching the North Sea 34 along with other pilothouses for Puget Sound but the North Sea shares the top of the list so far. I see that JDR22 had one. Will he or anyone get back to me with any info, pics, details about the boat? Feel free to PM me. I'm curious how they sail, their construction, leaks, interior layout, quality, etc. One thing we like about them is the layout where people can relax in the pilothouse and easily see out instead of going down in a dark hole plus the fin keel.
Thanks.
Have you considered a Pacific Seacraft 32PH? It's a Bill Crealock design and if it sails as nicely as the 34, it'd be great.

1995 Pacific Seacraft 32 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

-- Bill
Belle Voile
PSC 34
post #77 of 89 Old 12-06-2017

Thanks Bill. I hadn't seen that ad. I do like the Pacific Seacrafts and the 32 pilothouse. Seems like a decent price if only some cleaning up is needed. I was walking the docks in Blaine, WA a month ago and ran across a neglected 32PH. It had moss growing on the inside of the windows along the sliding track among other places and sort of a pox on the decks along with other signs of neglect like a hull sticker from 2013. I asked the harbor master if a message could be sent to the owner asking if he wanted to sell. He said others have tried but the owner just wasn't interested. I haven't heard back from the owner, either. When I got home, I looked up the price when new and was amazed that it was around $140K, if I'm remembering correctly. I think it'd be a good size for us but the cost would be in the $70K range or more by the time I got it in the water in Puget Sound. It does look good, though.
post #78 of 89 Old 12-08-2017

I talked to the broker for the Pacific Seacraft 32 pilothouse in Florida being advertised on yachtworld. Every Monday they open the bids for whatever vehicles they’re selling. Apparently, the bank accepted an offer this week so a week from Monday the boat will be surveyed. The broker said to check back late Monday or Tuesday and if it didn't work out offers will be accepted. He said one of their guys took 2 days to bring the boat back to the brokerage office. He stopped along the way to have the bottom cleaned due to growth slowing his progress He replaced filters and everything went well. The potential buyer will keep the boat in Florida but they did a call from someone in Alaska which makes sense. As with most of the vehicles they sell, the owner is upside down in the loan.
post #79 of 89 Old 12-13-2017

Has anyone had any experience with or thoughts about the LM 30 and 32 line of pilothouse sailboats? There's a couple 32's for sale on the east coast; one in Michigan and the other in Rhode Island. They're double enders with a comfortable looking pilothouse and main cabin. They look well built from Denmark and with a fin keel, could sail well depending on other factors.
post #80 of 89 Old 12-13-2017

Best pilot house I ever saw was the Chris White Atlantic 47/ 49. Truly fully functional pilot house with all the comforts right at hand. Watertight door leading into a cockpit forward of the pilot house to work the boat in safety and a second wheel there. Second watertight door aft. If I ever move up from the Outbound that boat is very high on the list. I saw the boat twice. Once in Annapolis and again at the Bitter End. Very comfortable at sea, up north and in the tropics.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Last edited by outbound; 12-13-2017 at 07:57 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in