Recommendations for boat financing - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-10-2007 Thread Starter

Recommendations for boat financing

Hi Everyone, my wife and I are looking to buy a new boat 36'-40', major production brand, $120K - $150K which we will live aboard and charter (crewed only) in the USVI and BVI.

Anyone have recommendations for any particular boat finance company?

Best state to buy in (we'd probably want to take possession on the east coast since the boat is headed to the Caribbean)?

Any suggestions/advice is welcome...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-10-2007

DO NOT MENTION the word CHARTER within ear shot of the lenders.

And try Susie Davis at Dimen Financial in Newport Beach, Ca. Sweetheart of a gal. 800-832-8022. Tell her Rick Booth sent you.

Good luck...........
post #3 of 8 Old 10-10-2007
moderate?

dbrimm...welcome aboard! Can't help on the financing but just curious. How did you decide on that sized vessel for crewed charters?...most are a lot bigger for that end of the market.

post #4 of 8 Old 10-10-2007

Most financing is at 6.50% with fixed rates for max. of 20 years. Some companies are higher. Be careful of the ARM rates, especially if you plan to keep the boat for sometime. Be careful of the "charter" word with any type of financing company...not something they want to hear....IMHO...
post #5 of 8 Old 10-10-2007
DrB

As others have said

36' to 40' is small for a charter. I would think that you'd need to be at least 44' + range for a charter; even bigger if you are going to crew the boat.

DrB
post #6 of 8 Old 10-10-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrB View Post
36' to 40' is small for a charter. I would think that you'd need to be at least 44' + range for a charter; even bigger if you are going to crew the boat.

DrB
Agreed---we have the Irwin 52 which is decent but could still be a bit roomier for more than 6. We also just spent last week on our friends 48 Mayflower with 6 onboard, and THAT was getting crowded as well.

Or maybe you can just charter with some of the indigneous tribes people of Java and Borneo. In which case a 38 may fit the bill..........
post #7 of 8 Old 10-10-2007 Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses so far everyone...

I'll have my wife get in touch with the gal from Newport Beach for some further info.

I'll make sure no one mentions the charter word in front of lenders, I'd heard that before and read it in a lot of the lenders materials (that they don't loan for charter boats) but always good to have confirmation from more people.

Also, I know that we're looking at small boats, but intentionally.

Our clientele is typically a couple (ie, honeymoon charters, and young adventurous couples) and no larger, we'll have approx 12-18 charters booked per season. I spent the last 3 years driving someone elses boat (same size and class) so we're just cutting out the middleman... haha. You guys are right on though and I wouldn't be coaxed on to a boat this size with 4-6 guests for a week... even day trips get cramped with that many people!
post #8 of 8 Old 10-10-2007
Telstar 28

Umm... $120-150K is not really going to purchase much in the way of a new boat in that size range. Most 36-40' boats are going to be a good deal more expensive than that.

Also, unless the boat is a catamaran, you won't have the space aboard to have both crew and customers aboard. Even with a 40' catamaran, you're going to find that it is a bit small for crewed charters generally.

Where are you planning on registering or documenting the boat? BTW, if you're going for financing, it would probably be easier to get if you document the boat with the USCG, rather than state register it. USCG documentation will probably be required if you're chartering it in the Caribbean.

As for where to buy, you should probably purchase it in whatever state you're going to register/document the boat. I would guess that the boat will still need some outfitting and preparation before heading down to the Caribbean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrimm View Post
Hi Everyone, my wife and I are looking to buy a new boat 36'-40', major production brand, $120K - $150K which we will live aboard and charter (crewed only) in the USVI and BVI.

Anyone have recommendations for any particular boat finance company?

Best state to buy in (we'd probably want to take possession on the east coast since the boat is headed to the Caribbean)?

Any suggestions/advice is welcome...

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 10-10-2007 at 08:36 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in