Newport 28 vs. Catalina 27 - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 02-07-2008 Thread Starter
abandon shore

Well I went for the newport. Got her for $7500. The boat is in real good shape, she handled the S.F. bay real nice. Thanks you everyone for your impute.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 02-07-2008

Congrats.

Enjoy the new (ie to you) boat!

Marty

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!
post #13 of 20 Old 02-07-2008

Congrats and good luck. You know where to come for advice on fixing her up :0

post #14 of 20 Old 02-07-2008

Mazeltov! The fact that nothing broke in S.F. Bay is a good omen. My impressions of that body of water have been formed entirely by horrific YouTube videos of little sailboats getting eaten by the tides and the winds.
post #15 of 20 Old 02-08-2008
STARBOARD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
My impressions of that body of water have been formed entirely by horrific YouTube videos of little sailboats getting eaten by the tides and the winds.
Since we are between storms and it's mid-winter (the mild time of year for SF Bay) My guess is that the winds were probably not too nasty for his first sail. There will be plenty of wind to break things in a few months

Welcome to the Newport Fleet!
post #16 of 20 Old 02-08-2008

Congrats. My wife's cousin has one and it has been a great boat for them. While I don't have experience with the A-4, they say they can go forever if properly maintained. Good luck.

Last edited by CBinRI; 02-08-2008 at 08:42 AM.
post #17 of 20 Old 01-05-2009

I just bought a Newport 28' and she sails beautifully! Lots of comfort too! Big cockpit and I personally think her "genie slipper" shape is a lot sexier than the Cat.
post #18 of 20 Old 01-05-2009

Congratulations! I had a Newport 27 with atomic 4 for few years and absolutely loved it. N27 is slightly smaller than N28 but has the same sailing characteristics and almost identical hull shape as N28. It is very manageable for one person to single hand. The A4 is very simple and fairly easy to troubleshoot. Plus the atomic 4 forum on yahoo is absolutely phenomenal. I would also suggest (if you havenít already done so) that you check out capitalyachts.info website. It has a lot of useful information about Newports.

Albert
post #19 of 20 Old 04-10-2017

Re: Newport 28 vs. Catalina 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
I've sailed on a Newport 27 and a C&C 27, and I prefer the Newport. If the Atomic 4 is fresh water cooled, I would opt for that...it is a more appropriate small sailboat engine than a diesel in the sense that it is low compression and doesn't mind getting started cold and then shut off 10 minutes later...a small diesel sees wear and tear from short run times.

The Newport 28 is probably about the same weight over a somewhat larger hull and is a slightly tender but speedy boat. The C&C at 7,500 lbs. can keep sail up longer and can bash into waves that might slow or stop the Newport.

My understanding is that SF Bay can get quite lumpy, but I don't know how race-oriented you are.
I have a Newport 28 a 1974 complete rehabbed Rigging, winches, Blocks & Lines, Roll fluring, Main & Jib North Sails everything new. I told her if she holds up through this storm (Hurricane Patricia 2015 Mexico) That I would refit her to better than new and keep her forever. Well I can tell Ya-All one thing Bumps may slow her down with 5-7 knots but you put some ungodly winds and seas breaking and she plows right through like this was her backyard, her purpose of existences. I have to try and wrap my brain around waves stopping her only time she is a bit of a pig is in under powered winds, I can say that is fact but she shines like the brightest star in the sky when the seas get nasty and the wind keeps a howelling & this is what counts to me anyhow. This good ole girl has proved her seaworthiness once over, I kept my word to her and she is now looking beautiful dropping the new Volvo Penta in her and she will get to get us to Belize and wherever the wind takes us from there. Live Free Be Happy Rais them sails Love and respect our Seas .....
post #20 of 20 Old 04-10-2017

Re: Newport 28 vs. Catalina 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by asivesind View Post
Well I went for the newport. Got her for $7500. The boat is in real good shape, she handled the S.F. bay real nice. Thanks you everyone for your impute.
Great choice I will never get rid of mine take care of it and she will take care of you.I just putting my new Volvo penta in her and she is 100% new built to last no doubt...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in