Morgan 33 out island - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 Old 06-08-2016

Re: Morgan 33 out island

Currently have a 33 out island and have sailed it to Grenada and back. Lucky for me the previous owner replaced the jib with a roller furling genoa that was cut to make the boat sail much better than it is reputed. Extending the forestay about 12 to 16 inches forward of the bow and having a good sail maker allows this boat to sail amazingly well. On return from Grenada had a full batten main made by South Sails or "Mack" in Indian Harbour beach which helped my boat tack and point much higher. The real problem with this boat is that it just needs to be upgraded and well maintained and for some reason it well be a good boat for you! Put 15 to 20 k in this boat or any well made older boat and guess what you have a good all around cruising boat. Buy any boat in dis-repair and you well get what you paid for regardless of name or age.
This boat is very dry going to weather and sails to weather as good as any true cruising boat out there actually cruising with full gear, water, food, etc. We keep up with 35 and 38 foot boats until it gets over 20 knots and then the "high end" boats with sail maker captains pull away from us in the open ocean. This boat regularly does five to 6.3 knots under sail or power with a well maintained iron jenny perkins 4-108. Anyone who says they do not motor in calm weather to make a rough passage easy is well full of hot air or has an outboard or a carbon fiber mainsail. Have had a great sail between islands too many times when others had the snot handed to them because they wanted to leave when the wind was 25 plus...(leave in calm conditions motoring and sail the last 25 miles in perfect 15-20 afternoon conditions.) Remember this is a coastal cruising boat and thus a good Island hopping boat as almost every modern production boat under 40 feet to this very day. Because it is much more heavily built and does not have a break away racing keel it might even be better.
This boat and the 41 are the original clorox bottle boat that started the whole charter cruising industry in the 70's and no one well admit they arghh and have been copying it in one form or another ever since. They are built super solid and well take you over the reef and into the lagoon if you should be so unlucky to lose your way.
She is an ugly duckling and has a bad rap but the full keel away from the dock is great in the open ocean and away from the distain of anyone with half a million in they're boat. Once at anchorage in any port away from such folks you well be treated with complete respect as no one really cares once you are out on sail about. Often your boat is the happy hour boat if you are friendly regardless of size or style of boat. It is all about your attitude and how much fun you want to have.
If you want to sail around the world then get a six foot draft forty foot boat with pedigree that gives you confidence to go for it or go the Lin and Larry Pardee way and hand make your own wooden boat under 30 foot (with no iron jenny) and be a true blue water adventurer.
Tom
travlin-easy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 03-02-2017

Owned our 1977 Morgan OI33 for 10 years now - very solid boat, I agree with the other owners here. Yes, sailing to wind is not the same as a performance boat, but we like the "built for comfort" aspect and spent two enjoyable summers (8-10 weeks each time) in the Bahamas as a family (2 adults, 2 kids, 2 dogs and did I mention a guest?).

Never felt "looked down upon" - guess we were enjoying the Bahama Mamas too much to notice!
travlin-easy likes this.
post #13 of 17 Old 03-02-2017
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
I lived aboard and cruised my OI 33 for thirteen years on the East US Coast and Bahamas. Some had trouble with the hull-deck joint which was more vulnerable to damage with the early 70's boats before moving the joint from the rub rail to the toe rail, but the deck is secured with SS bolts, not sheet metal screws as inaccurately posted above.
A quick comment on this. From what I gather, there are huge variations in how the Out Island's were assembled over the years. When I was in college I worked in a number of boat yards and had the chance to work on a number of them. These were definitely early 1970's era boats and apparently, the later ones were better built.

But the ones that I worked definitely had the hull deck joint screwed together with sheet metal screws. As the Morgan rep explained to me during this era, the yard believed that the joint was glued together with the 5200 that was used, and the screws were only there to hold the parts until the 5200 had hardened. I can also state from personal experience that the at least the deck cleats that I reinstalled (with through bolts and backers) were originally installed with self-tapping screws into the fiberglass.

I can also state from personal experience grinding and repairing these boats, that the glass work was moderately heavy as the result of the lack of internal framing, but it was also pretty poorly done with proportionately large amounts of non-directional reinforcing, and poor resin ratios.

Jeff
T37Chef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

post #14 of 17 Old 03-06-2017

Mine is a 1973 model, all the cleats are thru-bolted with backing plates. The only cleats I can access and see the backing plates are on the bow and stern, so I really cannot comment on those amidships. The cabin top is bolted to the hull at 6-inch intervals and glued with 5200 (I guess that's what was used), and there is a lot of heavy, structural framing, which can be seen when you remove the storage drawers on the starboard side. However, I have no way of determining the fiberglass layup, mainly because it would be damned near impossible to punch a hole in the bottom of the boat, and don't intend on doing so.

Using a 100-percent jib, and battened main, I find the boat sails quite well in all conditions other than very light air. I'm too old to fool with a spinnaker or oversized jib (that's why I have an engine.) I'm sure that with some sail modifications the boat would point tighter, but I really am not in a hurry to do anything these days - I just want to put the sails up and stop in a quiet creek or cove when I feel like stopping.

When I was offshore and bumping against the Gulf Stream with an opposing wind, (my bad) the boat took the beating and continued to ride very dry in light of the nasty conditions. Once I got back inshore, the boat settled down and handled the 4 to 6 footers quite well.

The only negative is that with that close proximity of the prop to the keel is the boat does not back down well at all, and tends to do some weird prop walks in directions other than anticipated. I was thinking of switching to a 2 bladed prop to see if there would be an improvement, but right now I don't need the added expense, though I should probably have a backup prop on the boat just in case.

Having spent time on several Catalina's to 48 feet, I can honestly say the Morgan 33 OI has as much, or more, interior space and storage as most 41 footers. It never ceases to amaze me as to the amount of storage and living space this boat has. Plus, it has a very spacious cockpit and foredeck. What more could a cruiser ask for, especially at the price these boats are not going for.

All the best,

Gary
RegisteredUser and seabeau like this.
post #15 of 17 Old 03-06-2017

I always thought this would be a great boat to fart around in the islands on...and be very livable...comfortable.
post #16 of 17 Old 03-06-2017

One available in Apollo Beach, Fl
post #17 of 17 Old 03-06-2017

Here's a video of the interior of my boat.

Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in