To dingy or not to dingy? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 03-26-2008 Thread Starter

To dingy or not to dingy?

What do I do now?

I am currently the owner of an early 70's Ericson 29. She is a great boat, but for many reasons the time has come to let someone else enjoy her. Keep you fingers crossed as she will be surveyed tomorrow and I have accepted the offer.

I need help finding my next boat. I will, in the future, be in the market for another "big" boat. However, for the time being I would like to find a trailerable, fun, 2-person boat. My girlfriend is learning to sail so I would like to fine something with a head sail, ruling out lasers, force 5's and alike. Although a Laser II might work.

I have not thought about dingy sailing for a long time and am not sure of all the options out there. Here is my list of requirements:

- Trailerable by a station wagon
- Not too advanced (to teach my girl), but yet fun enough for me
- Under $3,000
- No cuddy cabin, looking for a "wet" boat
- Early 80's or newer

My current top picks are: Hobie 16, Vanguard 15

The boat will be trailered to different lakes in Michigan.

So whats out there?? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 03-26-2008

Force 5, basically a big Laser with a deeper well
post #3 of 30 Old 03-26-2008 Thread Starter

The Force 5 only has one sail, no?

I would like a boat with a main, and head sail, possibly even a chute.

post #4 of 30 Old 03-26-2008

hobies are a blast but are a very wet boat. its mighty cold in the great lakes and that will shorten your sailing season quite a bit unless you are wearing wetsuits or some other protection
post #5 of 30 Old 03-26-2008

Geez, lots o boats fit that.

Vanguard has a few nice new ones that fit the bill, can not remember the names off the top of my head. To an old standby, ie Lightning.

I have a 1500 page book downstairs published in the mid 70's, not sure how many pages are boats in the 14-20' range that would fit the bill!

Marty

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!
post #6 of 30 Old 03-26-2008

How about the american 18 or 14.6.

Basic = first boat we used on our own without instructors. fairly comfortable with 3 adults.
Inexpensive = trailer and 14.6 for about $3500
Easy to lug = moved it around with a subaru forrester, not sure how that matches your wagon.
Easy to sail = slightly heavy and sluggish; easy to balance.

We did look at the catalina 14.6 (or something like that) The american seemed better. The cat was about 600 less expensive with trailer. I would not get the cat unless you are just going to ride it hard and put it up wet. I have nothing against cat as we are up to a C-30.

Hope this helps.
post #7 of 30 Old 03-26-2008 Thread Starter

Anyone have experience with the Vagabond 14?

Given all the options, I keep coming back to the cats. We will mostly be sailing the inland lakes, and maybe spending some time in the big waters, but will probably invest in wet suits either way. We have been thinking about getting some for kayaking anyway.

We have a Subaru Outback, the Forester did well pulling the boat though?
post #8 of 30 Old 03-26-2008

The Laser II that you mentioned might be a good choice but the Albacore is also worth looking at. There are plenty out there, especially around the Great Lakes (Ontario Yachts is the local builder) so one design races are a possibility. Albacore Boat Design
post #9 of 30 Old 03-26-2008

Try thinking about a Yngling. It would seem to meet your requirements. It is an excellent boat to learn on. A bit heavy to trailer but possible. Will give you a race experience but very forgiving to the newby.
post #10 of 30 Old 03-26-2008

We're partial having sailed a Windmill for 30+ years. 15 1/2 ft., hull weight 200 libs. Very simple sloop rig no spinnaker but exhilarating performance. Family oriented class with lots of couples or parent/child combinations. Look at windmillclass . org Older but good boats are easily under $2000.

Enjoy,
Chas

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in