Ranger 23 experiences? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 12 Old 10-06-2017

Re: Ranger 23 experiences?

I own a Ranger 23. Awesome boat. Truly a mini-yacht designed for local sailing but would cross oceans if well equipped. Construction and design is outstanding for any 23 footer of this period or any period since. The boat sails great on any point of sail and if you reduce sail appropriately it will handle any wind speed up to 40.

The hull design is exceptional. Fine entry at the bow cuts through the waves. Conservative fin keel is nicely shaped and provides good lift and makes the boat relatively stiff. Boat has 40% ballast/displacement ratio. Balanced spade rudder enables the boat to turn on a time.

The cockpit has nice straight six foot long seats with good spacing the brace your self when heeling. Plenty of storage under the cockpit, including space for a battery. Best cabin in a 23 foot ever. Wide quarter berths, ingeniously designed back rests (absent on most 23 footers), sink with 20 gallon water tank, counter top space for stove, food prep or navigation table. Well designed drawers and cabinets. Head under V-berth. I use my V-berth for storage only - took out the cushions to make more room. Factory engine mount is simple and elegant for a 5-6 horse power outboard. Can tilt engine all the way out of the water. 5-6 horses will push boat at 5.5 knots, almost hull speed at half throttle with reserve power.

I have the Tall Rig which i recommend. Things to look for include leaks at the chain plates, depression under the mast step, loose keel bolts, loose rudder tube, possible blisters - but not a common problem on these boats. All of these issues can be fixed without a lot of work or huge cost. The great thing about a Ranger 23 is you are sailing a real yacht but things are simple and the rig is easily handled. Good luck and enjoy.

Last edited by Faster; 10-06-2017 at 05:28 PM. Reason: paragraphs.. readability
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 Old 04-13-2019
Kynntana (Freedom 38)

Re: Ranger 23 experiences?

Hey all. I totally get this is an old post, but when people like me go searching for info, it's kinda nice to have it in one place. I'm looking at a Ranger 23. Not sure yet of the age, but it seems to have good bones and a metal toe rail. I think it's a 1975. It might be a short rig. How can I tell? There's a lot that needs attention such as rusty standing rigging, rebuild of the outboard, old sails, and lots of cleaning. What are the things to look out for? I am going to dive it to check out the keel and rudder. It has been in the water for some time. It seems dry inside and the mast base looks good. However, the chain plates look twinky. I have read through the forums and there seems to be some, but not a whole lot on the Ranger 23. Any thing to be particularly aware of would be greatly appreciated as we are not planning to do a survey on it. This would be a second boat for two friends and me. We each have our own, bigger boats, but want something smaller to go beer can racing on a moment's notice.

Last edited by gamayun; 04-13-2019 at 06:58 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in