SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Able 20

10K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Jack in Marbehead 
#1 ·
I have worked on my Able 20 for 4+ years. The previous owner glassedn 1/2" marine plywood under the foredeck and other areas with 1/4" plywood. I also cot it out from the top and laid glass and marine plywood in the deck. At other places I drilled 1/4" holes in the top and it looked like a pegboard. I dried it with time, fans and acetone and injected epoxy w/ a large syringe. I spent eons fairing it w/ fair
results.
This is the most tedious project I've ever undertaken
Hi,
I am trying to find out as much info as I can about Able 20 sailboats. Any help or exchange of info would greatly be appreciated.
I have set up a web page for the Able 20:

Cheers,
Peter (peter dot deppisch at sympatico dot ca

#2 ·
Hello Peter,

I have acquired an Able 20 two years ago, and am seeking other owners for exchange of information, pictures, stories, etc. I have found one other owner recently, and think I know of one other. But there must be many others out there somewhere. Do you still own your boat? Please let me know anything you can. Thanks very much.

Doug Smith

#4 ·
I am an owner. Just bought Nov 2017, 1975 Able. Many questions, such as sail size, especially genoa. Also, we cannot find any evidence of where the battery was mounted. This years project is electrical. Any ideas? Interested in knowing if anyone can tell which builder or which version I have. Does amount of teak tell anything? Thanks

#5 ·
I have a 1978 Able 20 tall rig 26 foot mast. built in Southwest harbour Maine
The battery was located in forward V birth.
as for teak it has a large piece under the jib winches and extends to the stern.
the serial number right rear stern can be decoded to tell where it was built.
From what i have read they were built in 3 areas all by different builders.
A Tanzer 22 jib works well with this boat.

#7 ·
I have a 1979 Able 20 that I picked up about a year ago. This is probably a dumb question, but my water tanks are full and I haven't found any way to drain them. Any thoughts?
I don't think you're referring to water ballast, but rather a small fresh water tank? Why can't you just open a faucet and pump away? Of course, you can always put a manual or electric utility pump pickup in the tank and dump it overboard. When the tanks are very large, I prefer that to running the onboard electric pumps for an hour straight. I don't think that is your problem, I suspect you have a foot pump.

#8 ·
Folks, I have an opportunity to purchase a 1976 Maine built Abel 20, with trailer. It needs work, but I'm OK with that. My question is - is this a well built, structurally reliable boat, worth an reasonable investment, and safe for my family to use on inland lakes? Your opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#9 ·
The design would seem to be conservative from a weight and sail area perspective. The long keel will help it hold course and adds wetted surface which will slow the boat down. It will also make quick turns difficult, especially with the small attached rudder. The relatively small sail area may make sailing on inland lakes with flukey wind frustrating, but if there is a motor or oars you should be able to make it back to the dock. The boat weighs more than a ton overall, (40% of that is ballast) so it should be fairly stable for family outings. The Loughlin Boat Works in Miami does not seem to be in business now. The condition of the boat will have to be determined by giving it a thorough examination or survey.

#13 ·
I am happy to see that there has been some activity on this thread. I have noticed that Able 20s seem to show up primarily in the Northeast USA. I have one stored in Virginia. I have seen them advertised as far away as Key West and Minnesota. Presently there is one for sale near New Orleans. Wondering where the others on this thread are located. Thanks

#15 ·
Good point. I have not.

I think it is worth sharing that the boats built by Crozier Fox at Able Marine in Southwest Harbor Maine reportedly had taller masts and deeper keels. I think those boats may have all had two port lights on either side of the cabin rather than one.
Another variation I have noticed is that some Able 20s appear to have a bridge deck whereas mine and most that I have seen have a companionway that goes all the way down to the cockpit sole.

I have saved pictures from nearly every Able 20 for sale ad that I have seen over the years, and taken pictures of the boats that I've seen in person.

For some reason there are two, maybe 3 of them in various states of disrepair in Portsmouth, RI. Otherwise, I've never seen more than one Able at a time in any given locale.