Able 20 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-18-2008 Thread Starter

Able 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatl View Post
I have worked on my Able 20 for 4+ years. The previous owner glassedn 1/2" marine plywood under the foredeck and other areas with 1/4" plywood. I also cot it out from the top and laid glass and marine plywood in the deck. At other places I drilled 1/4" holes in the top and it looked like a pegboard. I dried it with time, fans and acetone and injected epoxy w/ a large syringe. I spent eons fairing it w/ fair
results.
This is the most tedious project I've ever undertaken
Hi,
I am trying to find out as much info as I can about Able 20 sailboats. Any help or exchange of info would greatly be appreciated.
I have set up a web page for the Able 20:

Cheers,
Peter (peter dot deppisch at sympatico dot ca

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-23-2015

Re: Able 20

Hello Peter,

I have acquired an Able 20 two years ago, and am seeking other owners for exchange of information, pictures, stories, etc. I have found one other owner recently, and think I know of one other. But there must be many others out there somewhere. Do you still own your boat? Please let me know anything you can. Thanks very much.

Doug Smith
post #3 of 5 Old 08-31-2018

Hi, don’t know if you are still active, by my grandfather founded the company that made them, and built a few prototypes himself. I could give more info if you’d like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggypiff View Post
Hello Peter,

I have acquired an Able 20 two years ago, and am seeking other owners for exchange of information, pictures, stories, etc. I have found one other owner recently, and think I know of one other. But there must be many others out there somewhere. Do you still own your boat? Please let me know anything you can. Thanks very much.

Doug Smith

post #4 of 5 Old 12-01-2018

I am an owner. Just bought Nov 2017, 1975 Able. Many questions, such as sail size, especially genoa. Also, we cannot find any evidence of where the battery was mounted. This years project is electrical. Any ideas? Interested in knowing if anyone can tell which builder or which version I have. Does amount of teak tell anything? Thanks
post #5 of 5 Old 05-20-2019

I have a 1978 Able 20 tall rig 26 foot mast. built in Southwest harbour Maine
The battery was located in forward V birth.
as for teak it has a large piece under the jib winches and extends to the stern.
the serial number right rear stern can be decoded to tell where it was built.
From what i have read they were built in 3 areas all by different builders.
A Tanzer 22 jib works well with this boat.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in