Irwin 30 vs Islander 30 vs C&C 30 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 09-24-2008 Thread Starter

Irwin 30 vs Islander 30 vs C&C 30

I posted this thread yesterday but in the wrong area. So once again I am going to ask owners and sailors alike to add there opinion and go from there.

I am looking at buying a bigger boat. Looking for a great coastal cruiser but of course on a strick budget. The three boats I have come down to are listed above and I would like your feedback as to which would make the best coastal cruiser.

Now this being said the boat will be used for offshore sailing as well. From Nova Scotia to New England and perhaps as far as the Bahama's. To be honest my budget is under $ 15 000.00 so please keep this in mind when recommending a boat and if you have any leads on a good boat that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Todd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-24-2008

To be honest i am not seeing that in the 15000 range as most every boat i have looked at in that size and price is rough to say the least

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 09-24-2008 Thread Starter

Thanks Tommays for your input. I realize at this budget I will be going to have some TLC issue's. Thats not a problem as long as there are no blusters or major soft spots in the future boat.

post #4 of 16 Old 09-24-2008
Broad Reachin'

Waverider - All things being equal (condition, gear), I prefer the Islander 30 out of the 3 you propose. I think the Islander is finished to a slightly higher standard. I also prefer it aesthetically over the others because of the nice teak interior. I've personally looked at several Irwin 30's and Islander 30's, but am less familiar with the C&C 30.

All three manufacturers also made slightly smaller versions in the 27/28 foot range that might more easily fit within your budget. Again, of the three I prefer the Islander 28, a Bob Perry design.

Catalina 34

post #5 of 16 Old 09-24-2008 Thread Starter

Kwaltersmi- thanks for you input. I hear what you are saying about the finish and higher standard. I will search out a couple of 28's as well.
post #6 of 16 Old 09-24-2008

At $15K you're looking at some fixer uppers for sure.. and probably a gas engine too. The Islander and the Irwin probably are roomier than the C&C, but of the three I think the C&C may be the most robust and quite likely the sea-kindliest design. This may play into your "offshore" plans.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #7 of 16 Old 09-24-2008

Hello,

For 15K you can buy a nice Newport 28. It should be mid 80's, come with diesel inboard, self tailing winches, good traveler / main sheet, nice interior with pressure hot and cold water, AC and DC electrical systems, etc.

Note that the Newport 28 is a C&C design.

My second boat was a Newport 28. I bought in 2004 for$15K and sold it in 2007 for $14K with new main and 140 genoa.

Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

post #8 of 16 Old 09-24-2008
Super Moderator

Also consider..

Also consider a Sabre 28 or 30, Tartan 27 or 30 or a Pearson 28 or 30. All of these boats can be had in the mid teens to low 20's if you shop long enough.

There is currently a newer Pearson 28 in Falmouth, ME that is very clean and priced above your budget but she's ready to go.

Any boat in the 28-30 foot range and in the 15k budget category will require more than just a 15k investment. Most of these boats are tired and in need of many upgrades to be safe for any sort of offshore work...

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #9 of 16 Old 09-24-2008 Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your replies, my search goes on!! I am sure that with a little elbow greese and some smart buying I can get a nice vessel for my price range. I am off now to search out Newport 28's and Pearson 28's. I do have a great boat now ( Mirage 275 ) so I will not just settle for an ok boat. As my Mirage is a great cruiser, but would like 3 feet more.....lol.
post #10 of 16 Old 09-24-2008
Handsome devil

Tood: I use to be in the camp as "You cant get there from here" mentality asking what your aking ..but a month a ago a couple got a really mice Morgan out Island 40 ( I think ) the really good origional ones for 10K down in Mexico.. So I was wrong

So if your willing to turn over rocks you will find your boat...Just better have the cash in your back pocket ready to go and dont hesitate.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in