catalina 27 questions - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-16-2008 Thread Starter

catalina 27 questions

I'm looking for my first boat now after several years away from the sea. It's been way too many years!

The Catalina 27 keeps on catching my eye, especially when it comes with a trailer. For the next 5 or 6 years I would really prefer to have something I can haul home easily during the hurricane season. Or when I need to do more maintenance than I can do on the water.
After that, my son will be old enough to take over the farm and I can buy a bigger boat to cruise the world in with my wife.

The first boat I want should be capable of sailing from Texas maybe down to the Yucatan and over to the VI at least. I marked some great fishing spots out that way on all the previous cruise I did! Would many of you hesitate doing something like that in a cat 27? I'm not scared of the ocean at all and have already seen the worst it has to offer (too many times) but it would certainly make my wife feel better if it were a stout and capable boat we were on.
What do you all think about these little boats for some close blue water cruising in the Gulf?

FWIW, I had 10 years straight sea duty (mostly on capital ships) and qualified OOD on one ship even though I was enlisted. I have only about 2 days experience on a sailing vessel but I am scheduled for classes to learn in the spring. I don't know squat about sail boats right now except that they don't fare too well in a game of chicken with an aircraft carrier coming down a tight channel.

Last edited by BB61sailor; 10-16-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-16-2008
AEOLUS II

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB61sailor View Post
The first boat I want should be capable of sailing from Texas

maybe down to the Yucatan

and over to the VI at least.
1. OK

2. OK

3. NOT OK!!

I wouldn't said to the Bahamas on a C-27, let alone the VI.

They aren't built for it.

In the Gulf I wouldn't want to lose sight of land in it.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-16-2008

The C27 is a really nice boat, there are a ton of them out there, some in better shape than others. (can be said for most production boats.) I even had one. It was "the family favorite"

I do take an issue with one thing...
"I would really prefer to have something I can haul home easily during the hurricane season. Or when I need to do more maintenance than I can do on the water. "

Ummm, uhhh, you're going to need a decent size truck to haul this around. I know Texas is flat as an ugly 10 year old, but, I'm tellin' ya, its one heavy mutha.

the specs say 6750 lbs.... hmmm, feels a lot heavier. I had mine on the travel lift a couple of years ago, it said 7925. The lift may have been off a little, and I don't think the hull was that waterlogged.

The second thing is you're going to get sick of stepping the mast real quick.

We are not primarily on earth to see through one another, but to see one another through

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs

post #4 of 7 Old 10-17-2008

take heart BB61, it's the dream that counts. I'm a proud, former, owner of the Catalina 27 1976 model. I've sailed in on lakes, Erie, bays, Narragansett/Buzards', and hourbors throughout the northeast. It gets tossed around like a cork with the waves get above 5', and the cockpit will not stay dry enough for the sailing you want to enjoy. I found also the companionway is nice for two bodies to pass in, but breaking waves and spray are fond of it's gerth.

You could do what you want in that boat, you're gonna have to pick your windows of travel.

And the trailer is very ambitious unstep the mast, all the wires in the mast...it's fun the first time.

good luck
post #5 of 7 Old 10-17-2008

Blue water C-27

As a C-27 owner I will agree with the first responce to the degree that you don't want to be a long way from land. My boat has gone from Wisconsin to Michigan and back in the Queen's Cup, but that gives you a max of 40 miles from land. That would be about the extent of distance from land. Good coastal small cruiser. I think for longer distance you would want to consider a 30+ boat.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-17-2008
TAK

As a former owner of a C27 I can not imagine towing one or worse.. stepping the mast. If I were to do it again - as much as I liked the 27, I would go for a C30.

As to those that do not think the boat is tough enough .. a C27 went around the world. - But not untli after several modifications.

http://www.catalinayachts.com/pdf/halfoffame/ACFB0.pdf

s/v Mahalo
Caliber #4065

ACM - Eastport MD

Last edited by TAK; 10-17-2008 at 03:03 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-22-2008

Hi,
I just sold my 1976 Catalina 27. She was a great boat, but I can't say I'd say I'd want to be more than 25 miles from any shore. I'm looking to buy a Catalina 30 now - I think the extra three feet make a HUGE difference in comfort. I'm 6'1", and the 27 was really a cramped boat for me. Even in the cockpit, I never felt I was "in" the boat, more like I was on top of the boat. Below decks, I felt like a bull in a china shop.
I would really look at a Cat30 before you decide on the 27'. To me, it feels like the difference between a "camper" and a "motor home".

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in